Weezer's 7th album: Raditude

I will start by saying I am admittedly a Weezer apologist. A lot of the newer (post Maladroit) Weezer has been different but usually not in the best ways. It didn't sound like classic Weezer but it also didn't sound like anything particularly good. I think they have shown flashes of greatness on the last couple of albums, but a lot of it has been mediocre. Hmm...reading this back maybe I'm not a Weezer apologist. :)

Anyway...

Weezer has a new single out (apparently available on iTunes). You can run over to Weezer Dot Com to hear it streaming on the main page. It sounds different than other Weezer songs, but this time I think it is different in a good way. Here's hoping we'll have a consistently good album from Weezer this time around!

• 2 weeks later...

Weezer suffers from Wilco syndrome in some ways: fans who can't accept that the band isn't making records certain fans want to hear anymore.

Is Weezer's recent output as good as Blue/Pinkerton? No, not by a mile. Is it without it's merits? No, it's got good moments. If it's appealing to a different crowd now, who cares. Listen to Blue/Pinkerton if that's what you want to hear.

I know damn well that Rivers is capable of writing classic material again. Until that happens, I'll gladly listen to whatever he releases, and if he wants to release big dumb pop rock songs, which this album will undoubtedly feature, then I'll appreciate them for what they are.

The song is ok... Weezer was my first favourite band, so I'll probably listen to the album a few times.

Don't like the album title.

Don't like the way Rivers has sung since the Christmas EP in 2001.

I do like that album cover though, it is, in fact, RAD.

Weezer needs to bring back Matt Sharp. If they don't want to replace their bass player then give him a moog. Just get him in there. But then again, I'm probably more of a Rentals fan so maybe I'm biased. (Though the new Rentals music is truly awful).

I think Matt Sharp gets overrated like crazy. Dude wasn't awful, but he wasn't what made the first two albums great. I am a large fan of his backing vocals, and personality, but he got lucky, and played on the two Weezer albums that are never bashed.

I can't say how much of those albums was collaborating, but I just don't see Matt as the Jay to Rivers' Jeff. I know Rivers recorded almost all the guitar tracks on Blue himself, so I don't think he was working too closely with anyone on those albums.

All those Blue songs were worked out "in the garage" with Rivers, Matt, Pat, and their original guitarist, Jason.

But I think Matt had a large part to do with Weezer just by being their, the chemistry, you know?

That and I think his bass playing was perfect for Weezer.... but maybe some tastey moog lines could be exactly what Weezer needs.

Also I want Matt back with Weezer so he can stop releasing terrible Rentals songs and spare their legacy. :monkey

I know damn well that Rivers is capable of writing classic material again. Until that happens, I'll gladly listen to whatever he releases, and if he wants to release big dumb pop rock songs, which this album will undoubtedly feature, then I'll appreciate them for what they are.

Well, I don't want to hear big dump pop rock songs, so I guess we agree to disagree.

Well, I don't want to hear big dump pop rock songs, so I guess we agree to disagree.

Well, it's not really an agree to disagree situation. I'd definitely rather hear the kind of shit that Rivers was writing around the beginning of Weezer as well, but I can find some appreciation for most anything he releases.

I just don't understand when bands have fans who keep following the band, just to bash them for not releasing exactly what they want. At this point, it's more likely that Rivers will release big dumb rock songs, so don't listen expecting anything else.

At this point, it's more likely that Rivers will release big dumb rock songs, so don't listen expecting anything else.

I agree to a point, but shouldn't we hold artist to a high standard? I'm all for artistic expression and other crap like that, but when you write a crappy songs, it's still a crappy song. Sure, there are a few redeeming songs on the albums but for the most part Weezer flat out stinks now.

And about Matt Sharp: it's certainly no coincidence that Weezer's post-Sharp album have stunk. The man added something to the mix that is sorely missed in Weezer. May be he was River's b.s. meter or whatever.

I agree to a point, but shouldn't we hold artist to a high standard? I'm all for artistic expression and other crap like that, but when you write a crappy songs, it's still a crappy song. Sure, there are a few redeeming songs on the albums but for the most part Weezer flat out stinks now.

And about Matt Sharp: it's certainly no coincidence that Weezer's post-Sharp album have stunk. The man added something to the mix that is sorely missed in Weezer. May be he was River's b.s. meter or whatever.

You see, I'm perfectly fine with people not liking the stuff Weezer releases these days. But if you buy a new Weezer album expecting shit like Pinkerton, you have only yourself to blame when you don't get that at all. I'm not completely excusing the shit Rivers has released, but it's pretty clear the direction Rivers is taking Weezer, and I don't see why people keep paying attention just to express disappointment at not getting the exact album they wanted.

You see, I'm perfectly fine with people not liking the stuff Weezer releases these days. But if you buy a new Weezer album expecting shit like Pinkerton, you have only yourself to blame when you don't get that at all. I'm not completely excusing the shit Rivers has released, but it's pretty clear the direction Rivers is taking Weezer, and I don't see why people keep paying attention just to express disappointment at not getting the exact album they wanted.

Probably for the same reasons people wanted Episode 1 to be as good as Episodes 4-6 and why people want the Simpsons now to be as great as they were seasons ago. People either don't remember what the originals actually were like or maybe they've built them up to be so great anything else is disappointing, even when it's not that bad. I don't think that's the case with Weezer as those first two albums were great and the others just weren't. I think people like to know what to expect out of a band, and when you expect the greatness of TBA and Pinkerton then everything else feels like a let down. You know that Rivers is capable of writing albums like those again and you get frustrated when he doesn't (as illogical as that is). I'm not defending those feelings, but I think they're probably valid.

At the same time, if you want Weezer to keep putting out records like the first two, just be glad you have the first two to go back and listen to anytime you want. I like that Wilco doesn't put out the same record every time, because I already own all their old records and anytime I want to hear YHF, I give it a spin.

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded "I'm Your Daddy" from iTunes and I actually dig it. It has an MGMT "Kids" feel at the end and is catchy as hell. It's not deep, the lyrics aren't heartfelt, but I can get with the fun feeling of the song. I have high hopes again for this album. It won't be the Blue Album or Pinkerton, but I don't think it will be The Red Album or Make Believe either. I'm just gonna go with the flow.

i am about 90% sure that i am the biggest weezer fan in Arkansas.

that being said, this new album is going to be a rough spot in my relationship with weezer. the itunes samples were pretty horrible

What songs does iTunes have samples up for? I was only able to find the first two singles (I assume "I'm Your Daddy" is a single).

This has leaked.

I can't decide if Can't Stop Partying is the best thing Weezer has done in a decade or the worst....

Oh wait.. it's definitely the worst. :monkey

EDIT: Listened to more of this. Not the best thing Weezer has done. :ohwell Though, it's nice to see them have fun and not take themselves so seriously.