Interview with John

Guest Speed Racer

It's a wonder I got a perfect score on the reading section of whichever test it was had a reading comprehension section. I read these articles everyone posts, then look at the discussion and think, "I never saw that!" Totally missed the "ashes" remark this time around, too. But I generally don't read introductory paragraphs of interviews for that very reason...

I glossed right past that. I guess 'ashes', 'alt.country' and something regarding how influential / seminal / stalwart / seaworthy UT was are all mandatory.

Apparently.

What do I have to do to acquire the copyright to the phrase "from the ashes of"?

I blame All Music Guide. That's where everyone gets it from. It's funny, though, because I was looking around that site the other day and noticed that Pearl Jam "rose from the ashes" of Mother Love Bone. I kid you not.

That sounds quite believable. I always thought that Pearl Jam's name was essentially a joke about seminal fluid, given that they were the product of Mother Love Bone. The band denies this, even to the point that they made up a total lie about Eddie Vedder's great grandmother making a Pearl Jam.

someone should start a band called "The Ashes of Uncle Tupelo" That way it would either force people ( music critics)to stop using that now-hackneyed phrase or garnish the band a whole lot free press.

That'd be a good name for a Wilco tribute band.

I didn't stop, but that did annoy me. Has there ever been a Wilco article that didn't say exactly that? :realmad :realmad :realmad :realmad

Not everybody who reads these articles is an uberfan of Wilco like those who frequent a fan board. These articles are not written with us in mind.

It was a pretty nice article.

Not everybody who reads these articles is an uberfan of Wilco like those who frequent a fan board. These articles are not written with us in mind.

All true, but it seems like someone, at some point, could find a new choice of words to explain that Wilco was formed after Uncle Tupelo broke up. It's not like people who write about bands don't read the previously published articles about said band.

Play Wilco Bingo the next time you read a Wilco story.

Here's a draft scorecard to get you started. Includes blank spaces for you to add your favourite wilco bio sound-bites.

wilco bingo.jpg

Enjoy!

Suppose you need "rehab", too.

All true, but it seems like someone, at some point, could find a new choice of words to explain that Wilco was formed after Uncle Tupelo broke up. It's not like people who write about bands don't read the previously published articles about said band.

Actually...given the song AND cd ASHES OF AMERICAN FLAGS, it could actually be considered somewhat witty.

I don't...but one might make a case.

I agree.

The Wilco Story is a pretty good one, and not everybody has heard it. A cracker of a story, like theirs, is exactly the the sort of thing that might get a reader interested enough to seek out their music. That's a good thing.

The curse of being a Wilco fan is that you can never discover them again.