serena williams is an immature brat

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you read any editorials reviewing the call or know the history of the tennis?

Quite a loaded (double-barrel too!) question and so I think my proper reply would be to ask you what you are trying to say.

All I know is I watched it live, and replay after replay the commentators were unanimous in their judgment of the call.

I apologize in advance for not knowing the history of tennis.

Quite a loaded (double-barrel too!) question and so I think my proper reply would be to ask you what you are trying to say.

All I know is I watched it live, and replay after replay the commentators were unanimous in their judgment of the call.

I apologize in advance for not knowing the history of tennis.

mono pointless?

*shocked*j

have you read any editorials reviewing the sets or know the history of the recordings?

I thought the whole situation was great for the sport. Tennis has been building some steam in the mainstream the last couple of years, and with interesting storylines like this...why no?

Personally, I thought she acted like an athlete who A) isn't used to losing, B) hated the call, C) doesn't care about public opinion.

I support it.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm always a little embarrassed by/for people who think it's okay to have temper tantrums at work, whether they are my colleagues, people I interact with, or public figures. Just plain crass.

True, but I continue to be in awe of both her and her sister's anatomy below the waist. What thighs! Damn!

I assume you also really dislike John McEnroe.

Tennis players' behavior is a constant source of amusement.

Of course, the call was insane. Calling a foot fault at that point after she had been doing it the entire match? And is it even really a foot fault?

Tennis will soon become professional wrestling.

What does it mean?

John McEnroe used to yell at the head judges and curse them out. Were you saying "Tennis will soon become professional wrestling" 20 years ago? Of course not.

She got upset, and rightfully so. Should she have handled it better? Sure. Should she have told the line judge she was going to throw the ball down his throat? Probably not.

But what you said literally doesn't mean anything. Doubly so if you don't say anything after that to explain it.

What does it mean?

John McEnroe used to yell at the head judges and curse them out. Were you saying "Tennis will soon become professional wrestling" 20 years ago? Of course not.

She got upset, and rightfully so. Should she have handled it better? Sure. Should she have told the line judge she was going to throw the ball down his throat? Probably not.

But what you said literally doesn't mean anything. Doubly so if you don't say anything after that to explain it.

agreed. during the rain delay they showed a Jimmy Connors match where he went off on the head judge calling him a bum and spending several minutes belittling him for calling a ball out. Pardon my ignorance on this next part, but I think they can challenge calls now, couldn't she have just challenged it or better yet, couldn't the person in the chair overruled the line judge? i didn't see it actually, so not sure why i am throwing my 2cents in.

serena has become a lot more feisty lately. she is also massive compared to her sister who is just tall.

Watching the whole match live, it seemed to me that Serena was approaching collapse as it progressed. She was double-faulting left and right. Seemed worn out. Outplayed, for sure. My immediate reaction to the ending was that her outburst was spurred in part by a desire to be thrown out of the match so as not to lose fairly. Not saying that now, but it was my first reaction.

i think it is funny to see name calling in response to bad mouthing.

I tend to think of name-calling as using a word or phrase with the primary intent of being hurtful or insulting. I used "immature" and "brat" precisely because of what they both describe. If, for example, I had simply called serena williams a bitch, I would have been doing so mainly to insult her, not to describe her as a female dog.

she was losing. she was down 15-30 in a game in a set in which she was down 5-6. she received a judgment she didn't like. a champion worthy of praise would funnel that anger or frustration or whatever into handing over some great serves, coming back in the game and winning the set and then the match. she chose to turn her anger and frustration onto another person, employing threatening body language and actual language. while I have seen and in a silly way enjoyed macenroe's temper tantrums in the past, I never personally witnessed him resort to the kind of behavior that serena did. If I had, I would feel the same way.