Austin City Limits

http://austincitylimits.org/component/wordpress/archives/248

Dave Matthews Band Kicks off Austin City Limits’ Historic 35th Season

The new season of the award-winning PBS concert series AUSTIN CITY LIMITS premieres October 3 with superstar talent Dave Matthews Band. Making their first appearance on the show, Dave Matthews Band grab the full hour-long episode playing songs from their latest release, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King .

Earlier that week, on October 1, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will honor AUSTIN CITY LIMITS, unveiling a historic marker at the ACL studio and officially designating AUSTIN CITY LIMITS an historic rock and roll landmark.

“Getting Dave Matthews Band for our 35th anniversary premiere was not only a coup…it was a grand slam,” said ACL producer Terry Lickona. “They showcase their new album, which is the best studio work they’ve ever done, and the band is at the top of their game. After years of touring arenas, you could tell they loved the intimacy of playing our show.”

“It was cool to bring the band up there,” said Matthews of playing on the famed ACL stage. “We were pretty excited about it and it didn’t disappoint.”

The strength of this season opener gives viewers of AUSTIN CITY LIMITS a good taste of what’s to come during this special anniversary season. Drawing from a deep talent pool, upcoming shows include a performance by the new rock supergroup Them Crooked Vultures (Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones) as well as performances by some of the biggest names in contemporary music including Pearl Jam, Kenney Chesney, Elvis Costello and Ben Harper and Relentless7. Season 35 will also feature a first-time dual performance by longtime ACL favorites, musical legends Willie Nelson and Asleep At The Wheel.

Amidst the abundance of established performers, ACL continues its tradition of presenting the finest in emerging talent, with upcoming episodes featuring M Ward, Andrew Bird, Madeleine Peyroux, St. Vincent, Esperanza Spalding, Heartless Bastards, Okkervil River and Band of Heathens. ACL will also feature its first hip-hop episode featuring renowned rapper Mos Def and the rising Somali-Canadian rapper/poet K’Naan.

The schedule for the upcoming season:

October 3, 2009 Dave Matthews Band

October 10, 2009 Ben Harper and Relentless7

October 17, 2009 Kenny Chesney

October 24, 2009 Andrew Bird / St. Vincent

October 31, 2009 M. Ward / Okkervil River

November 7, 2009 Elvis Costello / Band of Heathens

November 14, 2009 Willie Nelson & Asleep at the Wheel

November 21, 2009 Pearl Jam

November 28, 2009 – January 2, 2010: Encore episodes

January 9, 2010 Allen Toussaint

January 16, 2010 Mos Def / K’Naan

January 23, 2010 TBD / Heartless Bastards

January 30, 2010 Steve Earle / Kris Kristofferson

February 6, 2010 Them Crooked Vultures

February 13, 2010 Madeleine Peyroux / Esperanza Spalding

• 1 month later...

I thought Okkervil River was really good. Sheff still can't sing, and maybe he was trying too hard to ape Arcade Fire's performance, but it was still a lot of fun. Plus, I think I have a RSGF thing brewing for Lauren Gurgiolo.

I like M Ward quite a bit, but I always find myself just begging him to break out of the mellow folksy rut when I see him play. Usually gravitate to his songs with fuller arrangements and a little more life in them. That said, To Go Home was not the best song in his set, so maybe he can't pull it off.

St Vincent was okay. I really wanted her to do Luaghing with a Mouthful of Blood. She didnt. Bummer.

Andrew Bird is boring as snot. Seems like Ive seen him play too much lately, and it has turned me off to him. His performances have zero energy and the whistling gets old fast. Seems like a good guy, and I'll still listen to his records, but absolutely zero desire to see him live anymore.

I thought Okkervil River was really good. Sheff still can't sing, and maybe he was trying too hard to ape Arcade Fire's performance, but it was still a lot of fun.

I like M Ward quite a bit, but I always find myself just begging him to break out of the mellow folksy rut when I see him play.

Andrew Bird is boring as snot. Seems like Ive seen him play too much lately, and it has turned me off to him. His performances have zero energy and the whistling gets old fast. Seems like a good guy, and I'll still listen to his records, but absolutely zero desire to see him live anymore.

Okkervil River is one of my favorite bands, but I'm not always liking their verions of songs live. I DO love Sheff's energy passion and energy, though.

I'm not familiar with M. Ward, and what I saw didn't do anything for me.

I agree about Bird.

Okkervil River is one of my favorite bands, but I'm not always liking their verions of songs live. I DO love Sheff's energy passion and energy, though.

I'm not familiar with M. Ward, and what I saw didn't do anything for me.

I agree about Bird.

i loved m ward's performance. i was excited for okkervil river as well but did not enjoy it at all. all of the shouting reminded me of modest mouse (and not in a good way).

i loved m ward's performance. i was excited for okkervil river as well but did not enjoy it at all. all of the shouting reminded me of modest mouse (and not in a good way).

Sheff's shouting has become a little annoying during live shows. Okkervil's early records are really subtle and beautiful and sans shouting. Black Sheep Boy had a little bit of it, but it works awesomely. Sounds wierd, but it's hard to enjoy Okkervil River live at times 'cause Sheff isn't always easy to watch....he's a little over-dramatic at times (and not in a good way.)

M. Ward's music and the way he played seemed too artsy-fartsy or precious or something. Can't explain exactly why I didn't like it. Probably not fair to judge him from 30 minutes of performance.

Sheff's shouting has become a little annoying during live shows. Okkervil's early records are really subtle and beautiful and sans shouting. Black Sheep Boy had a little bit of it, but it works awesomely. Sounds wierd, but it's hard to enjoy Okkervil River live at times 'cause Sheff isn't always easy to watch....he's a little over-dramatic at times (and not in a good way.)

well, to be fair, the music is pretty over-dramatic. he's not making fluff pop. there's a lot being said.