When I was 14, they were one of the first bands to show me that music could be weird and creepy, yet still groove and rock hard. I don't enjoy (and in some cases I'm completely unfamiliar with) their output post-PIOUGHD ('90). But they have a great run within their discography: Psychic Powerless...Another Man's Sac/Rembrandt Pussyhorse/Locust Abortion Technician/Hairway To Steven.

Great, original freaky-deaky music from Austin that stands the test of time.

I have them on the mind because I saw them last night in Boston. Wasn't planning to go - got the tix last second, for free. All-original lineup, and they were tight. Sounded great, crowd was great, the projected images on the stage's screen were as disturbing and fitting as ever. Great fuckin' show. See them if you have any interest at all.

Fully expecting to watch this thread drop like a rock!

Oh man. I just looked and they're playing near here on Saturday night (with Built to Spill). My friends and I were all big fans back in college.

I'd love to see the original lineup, but I don't think I can make it, sadly. :ohwell

Once I stopped taking LSD, I kinda didn't listen to much of their stuff anymore, but they were some of the best LSD music ever. One hell of a live show.

They do have some of the best album names of all time.

ElectricLaryland, Hairway to Steven, Locust Abortion Technician

I would love to see them live although Gibby does kind of scare me.

Oh man. I just looked and they're playing near here on Saturday night (with Built to Spill). My friends and I were all big fans back in college.

I'd love to see the original lineup, but I don't think I can make it, sadly. :ohwell

A good touring buddy of mine invited me to see them in Columbus next week, but I won't be able to make that show either. :ohwell

The Buttholes were a breath of fresh air :lol in the otherwise sterile environment of popular music at the time. I would call myself a fan, although I haven't listened to them in a very long time.

Cop: What are you doing?

Gibby: Chewing chocolate.

Cop: Where'd you get it?

Gibby: Doggie dropped it.

that's the only BS album i have but i love. who was in my room last night? is an awesome song.

edit: i thought that was flea saying those lines? he's on the album at some point isn't he?

"Lady Sniff" still cracks me up to this very day. Whenever the ex-wide receiver (now incarcerated) for the Giants would make a great catch, I would think (out loud sometimes) "Burress, bring me my bacon!"

that's the only BS album i have but i love. who was in my room last night? is an awesome song.

edit: i thought that was flea saying those lines? he's on the album at some point isn't he?

Don't think it's Flea (though certainly could be). Haven't heard of him being on the album, either. He was (at times) in Gibby's side band, P, though....