Thom Yorke starts band with Flea, Nigel Godrich

Thom_Yorke_Orpheum_20d_IMG_4488.jpg

huh

Not to nitpick, but he didn't really "start a band," per se.

He put a couple guys together to back him for a few solo shows. They played his solo album, the songs from his solo 12", and Thom played a few new, probably Radiohead songs solo acoustic.

However, the few videos I've seen have been incredible. Certainly not Radiohead, but a very tight sounding, dance-y sound. Considering the top-notch musicians involved, I'm not surprised.

They're a group (or you might say... BAND) of musicians playing together.. aka BAND.

Hope to hear some recordings of these guys... but I won't spoil it with poor quality YouTube videos.

They're a group (or you might say... BAND) of musicians playing together.. aka BAND.

Hope to hear some recordings of these guys... but I won't spoil it with poor quality YouTube videos.

Yes...I am aware that they are indeed a band.

My point was that, as far as we've been told so far, it's not a "new band" as in "we're gonna write some music together." It's just a live concert backing band. A damn good one, but not (yet) a studio band.

However, I wouldn't at all mind a legit album with these guys.

• 4 months later...

Thom Yorke Names New Band Atoms For Peace, Announces Tour

Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke announced today (Feb. 25) that his side project, now officially named Atoms for Peace, will play an eight-date U.S. tour leading up to its performance at the Coachella Music & Arts Festival. The band's trek will kick off at New York's Roseland Ballroom on April 5-6 and hit the Santa Barbara Bowl in California on April 17, the day before its headlining gig at the Indio, Calif. fest.

Previously billed as ????, Atoms for Peace -- named after a song on Yorke's 2006 solo album "The Eraser" -- consists of Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beck drummer Joey Waronker, producer Nigel Godrich, and Forro in the Dark percussionist Mauro Refosco. Yorke first unveiled the group last October at Los Angeles' Orpheum Theater.

In a Thursday morning post on Radiohead's Dead Air Space blog, Yorke wrote, "Ok so in April the other band.. that i got together to do the eraser and other stuff u know .. Mauro, Flea, Me, Joey and Nigel is going back out to do some shows in the US.. ending with playing with Coachella. we had too much fun to just leave it there..."

Of the new Atoms for Piece moniker, Yorke said, "Hope you like the name.. it seemed bleedin' obvious."

Here are Atoms for Peace's tour dates:

Apr. 5: New York, N.Y. (Roseland Ballroom)

Apr. 6: New York, N.Y. (Roseland Ballroom)

Apr. 8: Boston, Mass. (Citi Wang Theatre)

Apr. 10: Chicago, Ill. (Aragon Ballroom)

Apr. 11: Chicago, Ill. (Aragon Ballroom)

Apr. 14: Oakland, Calif. (Fox Theater)

Apr. 15: Oakland, Calif. (Fox Theater)

Apr. 17: Santa Barbara, Calif. (Santa Barbara Bowl)