The best thing to say about Wilco (the Album) is its alot better than Sky Blue Sky...

It amazed me the attention SBS got. It was a bad soft rock album. Every critic was just dying to pen them as the next greatest band which we know they are. They just chose the wrong time to do it. Be fair, but Hate It Here, Impossible Germany and Side With Seeds was never played live again would anyone miss it with their catalog of songs to choose from? Yawn. I'll be at Austin tonight. Anyone else?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

SBS > W(TA)

And it's not even close, in my opinion.

I say that while acknowledging that I hate two songs on SBS.

Sums it up for me. Though I only hate one song on SBS.

not even slightly a W(TA) fan.

Be fair, but Hate It Here, Impossible Germany and Side With Seeds was never played live again would anyone miss it with their catalog of songs to choose from? Yawn.

I would greatly miss Impossible Germany if it were never played live again.

I would greatly miss Impossible Germany if it were never played live again.

So would we all, so agreed.

I've come to love the album. Leave Me will forever remain a pock on the face of humanity, but the rest of the record is really quite great.

I love Wilco so much, because some songs are so divided with regards to fan opinion, and I think it's a sign of genius...this is probably my second favorite song on this album. I know to each their own applies, but, can you tell me why you dislike it so much? I adore it.

Impossible Germany is great. The rest not so much.

I so disagree. SBS is amazing.

I haven't fallen in love with W(TA) yet, but I'm confident I will. If I don't like it in a year or two anymore than I do now, I'll declare something, but until then, I love Wilco (The Song), One Wing, You and I, and I'll Fight. And that's just fine for now.

I didn't fall in love with SBS until I heard the songs live. I saw Wilco a month after SBS was released so they played a lot of songs from it. I'm hoping this will happen with WTA because honestly, I haven't listened to it in months (and only listened to it for a bout a week when it came out...) :ermm

But first they need to come down South again.

SBS > W(TA)

And it's not even close, in my opinion.

I say that while acknowledging that I hate two songs on SBS.

Spot on. That is exactly how I feel. I can't stand 'Shake It Off' and 'What Light' but apart from that it is a very special, and subtle, record. It has a very special resonance for a lot of people on this board. I believe there was a thread about it a couple of months ago relating to the the emotional strength of this record. It certainly came along at a good time for me. It certainly doesn;t deserve the critisim it gets and I feel it will be looked back on in a much more positive light as time passes. So there.

Guest Speed Racer

I know to each their own applies, but, can you tell me why you dislike it so much? I adore it.

The music makes me feel claustrophobic, like I'm trapped in an elevator, department store or waiting room, and the lyrics sound like they were written by a resentful, emo 7th grader.

that opinion is wrong.

I believe it was a fact, not an opinion.

Well, I think Sky Blue Sky is a much better SOUNDING album than W(TA). It has a much warmer, less compressed quality to it. You also get a feeling for the interaction between the members of the band, which is not there on W(TA). On W(TA), the musicians sound a tad disconnected from one another. And the best thing about this particular lineup of Wilco is the interaction between the musicians, particularly Glenn and Nels. For that reason, Sky Blue Sky is, I think, the best thing that THIS version of Wilco has recorded.

Which is not to say it's a perfect album or anything. I am not a fan of Leave Me Like You Found Me, and find Shake it Off a tad grating-- like a studio jam that is tight but never fully coalesced into a song.

But other than that, Sky Blue Sky has some really beautiful moments. W(TA) has moments that seem to approach the beauty and grace that these musicians are capable of-- but then the songs seem to pull back. One Wing and Everlasting Everything almost get to the point where they start soaring into the stratosphere, and then they end abruptly. What's up with that?

And by the way, Impossible Germany is a friggin' remarkable song. One of my most cherished Wilco memories is the first time I heard them play it live. (Lollapalooza, 2006)