• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And pitchfork will have it in their year-end top ten of 2010. :lol

i doubt that will happen with an Eels release, but it will probably happen with the

Spoon album (they only gave it a 7.6 or something like that).

the only way Eels will probaby ever get a super high rating from Pitchfork or Onion AV

would be if he kinda went back to his early sampling days, but instead of using drum

machines did it more like what Animal Collective is doing. i just don't see it happening

with what he's currently doing. he is kinda stuck in a rut - although i think where he

is is pretty nice.

p.s. to answer my own hanging chad of a question, i have heard you can download the Bonus EP songs seperately on iTunes.

I normally don't care what Pitchfork thinks of an album....and don't necessarily care here either. However, I sure don't get this review. Disengenous?

This album is great.

disingenuous??

i'm with you, blue, i love this record. :music

• 2 weeks later...

okay, i have a question for all you eels fans. i love shootenanny. really like that record. however, its the only one i physically own. what comes next? theres so many.

also, this isnt like "whats the best eels record, man?" nor is it what comes chronologically next. its like "well, if you dug shootenanny, you should definitely check out ____________."

okay, i have a question for all you eels fans. i love shootenanny. really like that record. however, its the only one i physically own. what comes next? theres so many.

also, this isnt like "whats the best eels record, man?" nor is it what comes chronologically next. its like "well, if you dug shootenanny, you should definitely check out ____________."

I'd say the new one End Times. Otherwise, Electro-Shock Blues.

I think "Daisies of the Galaxy" is probably the most-similar to Shootenanny. However you might also check out Souljacker if you're into the more-rock-y side of Shootenanny.

However you might also check out Souljacker if you're into the more-rock-y side of Shootenanny.

That's what I was thinking, too. Parts of Hombre Lobo also sound quite a bit like Shootenanny.

i love how pitchfork bashes all these records i like. it makes me feel like i know something they dont. but yeah, thanks for the recommendations. ill probably cave in and buy them all eventually. 'numbered days' is really hitting it for me right now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thursday, May 20, 2010

EELS announce new album & world tour:

EELS are set to release a new album entitled TOMORROW MORNING August 24, 2010 and embark on a world tour August 3. EELS leader Mark Oliver Everett, aka E calls the 14 track album the final installment of a trilogy that began with HOMBRE LOBO (June 2009) and END TIMES (January 2010). Following a four year absence, TOMORROW MORNING will be the third new EELS album in a little over a year and a half and will be released on the EELS' E Works Records label. The world tour starts in Santa Ana, California, hitting Japan, Australia, Europe, United States and Canada. It will be the first time EELS have performed live since the release of HOMBRE LOBO, END TIMES and the new album. See all the EELS 2010 tour dates on the official tour dates page here:

http://eelstheband.com/tourdates/index.php

And stay tuned to www.EELStheband.com for more new album info, ticket links and more tour dates news. .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

their website said Best Buy had the deluxe edition with bonus 4 track ep.

i was expecting that to mean you could buy a normal one, and then pay more for the deluxe.

i was very surprised to see that $11.99 is the sticker price for the deluxe at Best Buy and that was all i saw. there were 2 copies here.

thought i'd tell this here as i figured there are other people like me who always try to get the bonus tracks when they can.

Unfortunately, I pre-ordered the regular edition and only later learned that there was a deluxe edition... anybody willing to help me out with the bonus tracks?

if you've listened through it, what do you think?

*spoilers*

there are some curves in there - the one song that extends on for a while with just a beat and some other things i can't think of right now. didn't blow me away or anything. i've only listened once though.

My Top 20 would look substantially different, but here's a fun YouTube that catalogs one guy's favorite EELS tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vODiD5Ru6Y&feature=related

1-16: Everything on Electro Shock Blues

17. Things the Grandchildren Should Know

18. Grace Kelly Blues

19. Blinking Lights (For Me)

20. It's a Motherfucker.

are a lot of these b-sides?

i have most of his records and don't recognize a handful of them.

Four of them are not on a proper Eels album: "Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas" was the B-Side for the "Cancer for the Cure" single and a version can now be found on Useless Trinkets: B-Sides, Soundtracks, Rarities and Unreleased; "Man Up" was recorded for the movie Yes Man; "I Need Some Sleep" was recorded for Shrek 2; and "Royal Pain" was recorded for Shrek the Third.

My own list would have a lot more love for Beautiful Freak and Electro-Shock Blues.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres never an "OK" EELS song for me. I either love the song or I hate the song.

I'm a huge fan of his more recent stuff. Hombre Lobo and End Times are really great records

Tomorrow Morning has just a luke warm feeling for me... It feels really cold and forced to me.