Bandwagon's Artist of the Decade

Guest Runaway Jim
Twenty to thirty years from now, Wilco will be considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, band of this period. And Jeff Tweedy will be mentioned right alongside Dylan, Young, Springsteen, Lennon, Drake and Van Zandt as one of the greatest songwriters to ever marry words to music.

:thumbup

Twenty to thirty years from now, Wilco will be considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, band of this period. And Jeff Tweedy will be mentioned right alongside Dylan, Young, Springsteen, Lennon, Drake and Van Zandt as one of the greatest songwriters to ever marry words to music.

* Jeff will be considered one of the greatest songwriters while marrying words to Jay Bennett's music. That's how it should read. They've hit a major downturn without that backdrop. What I hear now is Jeff trying to emulate what Jay, O'Rourke, et al taught him in the studio while the lyrics seem like afterthoughts.

:::awaits the wrath:::

* Jeff will be considered one of the greatest songwriters while marrying words to Jay Bennett's music. That's how it should read. They've hit a major downturn without that backdrop. What I hear now is Jeff trying to emulate what Jay, O'Rourke, et al taught him in the studio while the lyrics seem like afterthoughts.

:::awaits the wrath:::

though your theory is not without a grain of truth it overlooks AGIB. And what the hell, SBS as well as i think that one will only improve with age. It's kind of like Wilco's fine Cabernet Sauvignon.

Not that I have any qualms with giving it to Wilco, but its kind of odd that neither Radiohead nor the White Stripes merit an honorable mention.

I've never bought into the Radiohead hype. I understand (sort of) why critics adore them, but they just don't do all that much for me. As far as The White Stripes go, I loved White Blood Cells, but lost interest after that one. Elephant and Icky Thump bored me.

though your theory is not without a grain of truth it overlooks AGIB. And what the hell, SBS as well as i think that one will only improve with age. It's kind of like Wilco's fine Cabernet Sauvignon.

SBS is my favorite post Jay album. The latest album, to me, is their worst effort and seems contrived.

There are some gems on AGIB but I've read a lot of that material was Jay/Jeff stuff originally. Not sure if that's true but it's believable considering the timeline.

Guest Runaway Jim

There are some gems on AGIB but I've read a lot of that material was Jay/Jeff stuff originally. Not sure if that's true but it's believable considering the timeline.

I don't believe that is true. From Nonesuch, about AGIB...

All songs written by Jeff Tweedy, except tracks 2 also by Jorgensen, 7 also by Kotche, 10 also by Jorgensen/Girard, 11 also by Stirratt/Kotche/Jorgensen/Bach/O’Rourke

I think that's probably in the liner notes too.

Nice call out to Damien Jurado and Josh Ritter.

I also never bought into the Radiohead hype. The Bends is amazing no matter how you slice it. Everything else is sort of lost on me FWIW. I know for me it is the lacking melody. Thom Yorke whining above music tends to become tedious.

I also never bought into the Radiohead hype. The Bends is amazing no matter how you slice it. Everything else is sort of lost on me FWIW. I know for me it is the lacking melody. Thom Yorke whining above music tends to become tedious.

I sort of agree with that, but... In Rainbows is just beautiful, and most of it is quite melodic. It's the most accessible thing they've done in a long time, and overall their best record in many ways. (to me) On In Rainbows Thom takes misery to a level of beauty I've rarely heard on disc.

I sort of agree with that, but... In Rainbows is just beautiful, and most of it is quite melodic. It's the most accessible thing they've done in a long time, and overall their best record in many ways. (to me) On In Rainbows Thom takes misery to a level of beauty I've rarely heard on disc.

I'll admit, In Rainbows is the only radiohead album i've never heard (so I exclude it from my above opinion to be fair). I sometimes feel bad that I don't hear what everyone hears in OK Computer and Kid A. I can respect OK Computer but Kid A is a total loss on me (and I can dig some electronic trippiness). I just wish I "got it", and other days I'm glad I don't.

I used to feel similarly, but have since discovered melody to be one of Radiohead's greatest strengths on all of their albums. Listen to Let Down, Karma Police, Lucky, How to Disappear Completely, Idioteque. In my mind, it's the beautiful and haunting melodies that carry these songs.