Nora Jones' Jesus, etc. cover

I know Nora Jones is Ravi Shankar's daughter, but her cover of "Jesus, etc."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfjk1W1yZM

What just happened?

Maybe Jeff Tweedy is tired of that song. Maybe that is why he made fans sing it at the last round of shows in Europe instead of singing it himself.

This? Turns it completely gooey.

I wonder why she didn't keep her original last name of Shankar. It's such an honorable name.

I've tried to like her music, but it just doesn't work for me. Kudos to those who do. I have heard that her recent release is a bit less overproduced than earlier effort, for lack of a better description on my part. She's obviously got alot of talent. Maybe when I'm in my rocking chair in my older age with a pipe on the porch it will work for me.

I wonder why she didn't keep her original last name of Shankar. It's such an honorable name.

I've tried to like her music, but it just doesn't work for me. Kudos to those who do. I have heard that her recent release is a bit less overproduced than earlier effort, for lack of a better description on my part. She's obviously got alot of talent. Maybe when I'm in my rocking chair in my older age with a pipe on the porch it will work for me.

I remember hearing that Ravi Shankar's contribution to her childhood were little beyond the act of conception. I think they have a decent relationship now, but if he wasn't much of a father, she's not much of a Shankar.

I remember hearing that Ravi Shankar's contribution to her childhood were little beyond the act of conception. I think they have a decent relationship now, but if he wasn't much of a father, she's not much of a Shankar.

That would make a difference, that's for sure....

I have heard that her recent release is a bit less overproduced than earlier effort, for lack of a better description on my part.

I had an assignment to review it for a website last week, so I was spinning it for about 3-4 days. I'd say that the new album is as overproduced as her earlier stuff - it's certainly much more labored-over than Not Too Late, which came out in 2007, and is arguably her most stripped-down effort since it was recorded in a home studio (and sounds more song-sketches than fully fleshed-out songs.) Overproduced as it is, her new release is much more removed from the pop-lounge she became famous for...it's more of a singer/songwriter indie-pop-soul thing and not so much jazz-influenced, but it's clear she's still searching for a new sound. The piano is almost entirely absent...she's on to a much more guitar-based sound and uses a lot of electric keyboards and such...

Yeah, she was raised by her mother, whose last name is Jones. The cover is fine, and there's already a thread dedicated to it.

Thanks. I was unaware of the earlier thread, and have just read through it.

I liked some of NJ's earlier work, and was curious about her version, but she colors completely within the lines here. Everything about her plays too safe. I have to agree with many of the other responses that NJ's version is bland. And it's not that I am such a purist about Wilco's work. I'm imagining that if Beyonce covered "Jesus, etc." that might've been more interesting -- something completely unlike the original. Some of the fan covers on youtube are enjoyable, too.

Maybe this is like a whistle that only dogs can hear, and I am just not getting it.

P.S. Does anyone else think her Shankar connection is helping her get more attention than she deserves? Ever since George W. Bush stole the election from Gore, I have been skeptical about second generation celebs, whether they are getting their gigs based on merit, or familial contacts.

I think it's a gorgeous cover... I wanna say she debuted it live at the Bridge School Benefit where she was on the bill with Wilco and I'm quite sure the fellas got a great kick out of it. She's mentions Wilco a lot and is a self-proclaimed big fan.... and I do think she has made this song part of her regular rotation. You can can get a "live version" of the cover on the bonus lp from her latest release "the Fall" on the UK import, and I believe it's available on itunes as well.

P.S. Does anyone else think her Shankar connection is helping her get more attention than she deserves?

No. 99% of the public has no idea that they are related, and a considerable chunk of this country has no idea who Ravi is in the first place. It probably helped get her in the door at the record company, but talent kept her there. That and she's smoking hot!

As ever, I return from my sabbatical (that's what I like to call these break from VC - usually coinciding with a shitload of work!) to somethingw orth checking out. I love this place!

Thought she was great on Jools Holland a few weeks / months back too. Admittedly, she didn't look all that bad either which mighta helped!

Norah Jones is purty but her music is a good substitute for Ambien.

...or as a good friend of mine says, "Snorah Jones."

Yeah, really. It could make for good makeout music, but I'm afraid I would fall asleep during.

Maybe this is like a whistle that only dogs can hear, and I am just not getting it.

Combined with Ambien and a shot of Bushmills

If Nora would cut loose, she'd probably be amazing. She's got the voice. Maybe she should take a sabbatical studying under PJ Harvey. Let it rip, Nora+!