Why no videotaping at shows?

Guest Speed Racer

Agreed, but fast food requires zero overhead costs. For many low-income individuals, housing options don't always provide a full kitchen, and the cost of small (or large) kitchen appliances, cookware and even food preparation knowledge are beyond their reach. There are far more complex issues at hand. Obviously, our continued patronage of these places only continues this cycle. You and I have far more choices about what we eat than a lot of people.

Television and the internet, for the most part, are available everyone, and everyone has an equal ability to choose smart over smut. Arguably, low-income people have a harder time finding internet smut if they only access internet in public place with crazy filters.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but fast food requires zero overhead costs. For many low-income individuals, housing options don't always provide a full kitchen, and the cost of small (or large) kitchen appliances, cookware and even food preparation knowledge are beyond their reach. There are far more complex issues at hand. Obviously, our continued patronage of these places only continues this cycle. You and I have far more choices about what we eat than a lot of people.

Good points. I'd argue that most people can afford a microwave oven. I mean, if a lot of lower-income family kids are able to get their hands on $50 cell phones, surely their parents can afford a $50 microwave. But I'm no sociologist and have no idea what low-income families can or cannot afford.

Incidentally, there was a point in my life where I was pretty broke-ass poor, and rather than eat at McDonalds three times a day, I stocked up on Ramen noodles (3 for a dollar!), Chef Boyardee ravioli (50 cents per can) and similar. It was way cheaper than eating at fast food restaurants, even off the Dollar menu, and it required zero prepartion outside of hitting the start button on a microwave. Now, from a nutritional standpoint it was just as horrible as McDonalds... maybe even worse... I guess I'm saying, McDonalds isn't even the cheapest alternative out there.

Guest Speed Racer

Spending habits of urban poor sure are interesting. From what I've read in sociology courses, a lot of the purchasing is very brand-oriented (to steer us back on topic, not that we really got off topic), as off-brands are I think perceived by them as a sign of poverty. I would wager that eating out is therefore a miniscule investment in status ("we can afford to eat out!") as an antonym to "I'm so poor I eat Chef Boyardee!" (which I actually managed to escape childhood without having a single bite of, for the record).

My coworker once at nothing but bananas for a month after blowing two paychecks on hockey equipment. That's when she taught me about what potassium poisoning does to someone, and that's when I taught her how to make rice and beans.

Edit, to tie it all in: Funny that we will remain brand-oriented in the face of limited purchasing power, to the potential detriment of our health, just as we would pay to experience a live Wilco concert, viewed through the screen of a smartphone.

Edit, to tie it all in: Funny that we will remain brand-oriented in the face of limited purchasing power, to the potential detriment of our health, just as we would pay to experience a live Wilco concert, viewed through the screen of a smartphone.

Cripes, that's getting dangerously close to getting the thread back on topic. We wouldn't wanna do that now, would we?

and that's when I taught her how to make rice and beans.

How do you make rice and beans? I wouldn't mind cutting my food bill a bit.

Downloaded a recent springsteen show at MSG, and when Bruce wades into the crowd, all you see around him are cellphones. No one's actually looking at him, they're looking at their cellphones.

4194707518_181d5e7cc1_o.png

Wow! That screenshot says it all.

I am convinced that we are breeding a new race of cyborgs, whose nervous systems are connected to the physical world via electronic gadgets. Reminds me of something I read by Marshall "the Medium is the Message" McLuhan.

Here is his interview in Playboy (March 1969):

http://www.playboy.com/articles/marshall-mcluhan-playboy-interview/index.html

Back then, people DID buy Playboy for the articles! And, a reminder that our grandparents, who were around when the atomic bomb fell on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, probably thought TV and rock and roll were the harbingers of the apocalypse.

"Every generation thinks it's the last, thinks it's the end of the world."

I don't see how that is all the much different from years past. There is a Beatles blog I look at that has photos taken by fans - and they are really not that much different than what we see today. There are, of course, more photos of fans outside George's house or whatever, but that is due to how open fan access was back then.

I think people have always taken photos and video, only now it is digital, and not analog. If there would have been a way for people to share their photographs (besides print media) and 8mm silent footage with the world back in the day, they would have done it. As I said before, I think it is about technology. You no longer have to wait around for your film to be processed, everything is instantaneous now.

I was in Austria when Britney lost control in 2005, the month she shaved her head and all that. The saga was unfolding in real-time for me because of the time difference (her 3am was my morning coffee time, if I recall), and I was glued to Popsugar.

This was in 2007.

I'm holding out for us to finally achieve a certain cyborg element of recording our every daily action through our eyes via mircochips.

Just like in Robin Williams' The Final Cut. He played a "Cutter" who edited deceased persons' images/life for the funeral and families.

But if we could access our images and lay them onto Final Cut or something similar we could all access our own "little or big moments in our life".

Imagine seeing Wilco and not bothering Tweedy with an annoying cell phone camera and just watching the band with your own eyes and knowing that all of this is being recorded for an eternity.

:stunned

But until then :pirate

I've video taped shows and done audio recordings as well. I'd have to say that videotaping really detracts from the concert experience, but having watched my copies of Paul McCartney and The Cure from this year's Coachella, I'd do it again. But Wilco is so cool about everything, it seems slightly gluttonous to reach for that last piece they don't wish for you to have. Now the Old 97's......damn, are they ever the lovely Texans.

Me: Hey Murray, can I videotape three shows of yours in a row?

Murray: Sure. You want to patch into the board as well?

Me: That would be awesome.

Murray talks to the sound guy, sound guy patches me in, and I tape next to the soundboard.

Talked to the singer from Rage Against The Machine about video taping and in his words, "I don't give a fu**, use 2 cameras. " Ben Kweller was cool with it. Fishbone was not. Jon Spencer will punch you in the face for doing it. Mike Doughty is totally fine with anything but patches. I could go on, I've taped for years, but nonetheless, if they say no just respect it.

Interesting. I read the other day that there is a 15 camera mix of the Led Zeppelin 02 show out now.

I think the complaint these days is more about cell phones filming, than camcorders. OF course, I have not been to a Wilco show for several years now, so I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...