Hot Tub Time Machine

Hot Tub Time Machine Trailer

A friend of mine emailed me the script for this this past spring and I loved it. Extremely fun and funny. Absolutely 80s too!

So I'm thinking this could be a great time at the movies this March. Always loved Cusack. It looks like he's going back to his Better Off Dead roots.

Edit: Yes, this was filmed and written before The Hangover came out. Although, I'm sure the success of that film will have different affects on people for the "timing" of this.

• 1 month later...

Hot Tub Time Machine Red-Band Trailer NSFW

Edit: Well, this still looks great but it looks like that they changed (improvised) some of the great lines in the script that I read.

Definitely not something to watch if you don't want any jokes spoiled. This was the strong suit (more of a plot setup than jokes) of the original green band trailer as posted above.

But for those curious of its "R" rated nature then take a look.

Hot Tub Time Machine Red-Band Trailer NSFW

Edit: Well, this still looks great but it looks like that they changed (improvised) some of the great lines in the script that I read.

Definitely not something to watch if you don't want any jokes spoiled. This was the strong suit (more of a plot setup than jokes) of the original green band trailer as posted above.

But for those curious of its "R" rated nature then take a look.

:worship

I loved it. Thank You!

Especially the.....well, you know.

• 3 weeks later...

A 2nd green band trailer was released today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78ymToNBMM

Edit: Is that who I think it is when they show Rob Cordry's name (at the card/pool table)? If it is, then he hasn't been in a movie since a long, long, long time :thumbup

"Yeah! Okay, here's your first lesson: how to take a FALL!" - a clue.

A 2nd green band trailer was released today.

Edit: Is that who I think it is when they show Rob Cordry's name (at the card/pool table)? If it is, then he hasn't been in a movie since a long, long, long time :thumbup

With the 'stache? Sweep the you-know-what?

• 1 month later...

The Official Soundtrack Listing: (Warning: May Contain Spoilers :stunned )

1. Louder Than A Bomb [back Into Time] - Public Enemy - 3:00

2. Perfect Way (Edited Version) - Scritti Politti - 4:05 -

3. The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats - 2:44

4. What You Need (Single/LP Version) - Inxs - 3:34 -

5. Modern Love (Single Version; 2002 Digital Remaster) - David Bowie - 3:57

6. I Will Dare - The Replacements - 3:19 -

7. Push It (Album Version) - Salt N Pepa - 4:30

8. Bring On The Dancing Horses - Echo & The Bunnymen - 3:55 -

9. Save It For Later - The Beat / The English Beat (USA) - 3:34 -

10. True - Spandau Ballet - 5:38

11. Jessie's Girl - Craig Robinson - 2:41 -

12. Bizarre Love Triangle [shep Pettibone 12" Remastered Remix] - New Order - 6:42 -

13. Once In A Lifetime (2006 Remastered Version ) - Talking Heads - 4:19 -

14. Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue - 4:04 -

15. Let's Get It Started - Craig Robinson - 3:46 -

This film is coming out at the right time now to soothe America's fractured soul.

John Cusack: This is The Godfather of water based time travel films.

I'm stealing this from my Flixster review via Facebook. I'll add some color to it for you though.

Amazing film that is amazing fun! 80s homages run throughout the whole film. Soundtrack is fantastic. The whole cast shines and they have excellent chemistry. It will leave a smile on your face and good cheer in your soul. No lie. The humor was no holds barred & a nice combination of 80s humor with 00s sensibilities. Or vice versa :) A future cult classic that hopefully finds an audience right now. Definitely a lot of places where I had to smile & take a break instead of laugh because I was getting sore/tired. A few significant changes from the script that I read. The overall message of the film (which was new) was surprisingly very fresh.

As I said before "this is a very smart stupid film". Yes, I just quoted myself. Ok. Let me address another thing that bugs me. This film began shooting on April 20, 2009 a full 2 months before The Hangover came out in theaters. This film isn't trying to be that film. It's a completely different beast. In that other film, I felt that the situations were a lot funnier/memorable than some (few & far between) of the comedic lines. In this film everyone has equal share of comedic dialog and situations. In fact, there's more quotable dialog here than that other film. That's just my opinion. Come into this not expecting that other film. Ok? Thanks.

Edit: Wow! Just wow. I still have a buzz going from watching this tonight at midnight with 4 of my friends. No alcohol involved just an overall extremely fun night capped off with this extremely fun film. A nice evening that began by meeting up at the local 99 next to the theater. Each one of us showed up in like 15-20 minute intervals, so it felt like the bit from the Dean Martin show where a new guest was ringing the buzzer and a celeb would come out. But without the surprise I guess. :blush

More thoughts on the film: Well, the script that my friend sent me was the 1st draft and there were some significant changes made. (luckily for us the actors were able to let loose on the material and improv) The original ending was beyond amazing. I'll tell it here in a few weeks so not to spoil the humor of the film. (I should add that I loved the script that I read and it made me very hyped up for this film. It read very well and had me laughing at my computer)

As expected there are a lot of 80s references (keep your ears open and your eyes too :shifty ) in this and quite a few surprises.

The 80s fashion and the overall 80s feel of the film was extremely well captured. (Edited today: I guess I could say this about the film: It looks incompetently made but from competent people. read: deliberate. Jack N Green is the Director of Photography on this. He was the DP for such Eastwood films as Midnight In The Garden Of Good & Evil, Space Cowboys, Absolute Power, True Crime & Bridges Of Madison County to name a few. Once the guys arrive in the 80s the colors really pop and stand out moreso than the modern day scenes in the beginning.)

The women in the film fit quite perfectly, I thought. Lyndsey Fonseca (Jenny), Collette Wolf (Kelly), Lizzy Caplan (April), Jessica Pare (Tara) & Diora Baird (Rick's girlfriend) all played their respective "cliches" quite well.

See it. Have fun.

Oh yeah, as a huge John Cusack fan and a fan of the 80s (the films in particular...well maybe moreso the music or something about that decade) I felt that this film was kind of tailor made for me. I hope people have that same kind of feeling, if you know what I mean.

saw it a few weeks ago and didn't like it even REMOTELY as much as The Hangover sadly.

some very funny parts here and there, but a lot of annoying and super super dumb parts too (Rob Corddry's character got on my nerves, but Craig Robinson makes the film).

i'm glad the screening was free