Guest Speed Racer

I never read any Howard Zinn, but he came to my school to speak in 2004 and I managed to get in the second row. He was a really engaging man, and thought about things in a truly remarkable, revolutionary way.

Four years ago my friend lent me Howard's book and it forever changed my worldview. Howard you will be missed.

Democracy Now! is running a great memorial for Zinn.

Haven't got to watch this yet but I know its going to be good.

Weird for this to be my first post here. I took three or four of Zinn's courses at BU back in the late '70s. He is one of the handful of people that changed the direction of my life, influenced who I am and what I do today.

Besides what is public knowledge I remember him as an extremely nice guy. He always had time for us, never rushed us out of the office or begged off a meeting on the street. Politics aside, he was a model for how I wanted to relate to my students when I became a teacher.

I can't be too sad at his departure he made as much of his life as anyone could hope.

After my nephew, 9, asked me at Christmas why we just don't invade Canada and take them over, I realized I have to get him this:

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-Enhanced-Omnibus/dp/1583228691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264717946&sr=8-1

After my nephew, 9, asked me at Christmas why we just don't invade Canada and take them over, I realized I have to get him this:

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-Enhanced-Omnibus/dp/1583228691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264717946&sr=8-1

Too funny.

I know! I shoulda gotten the kid Risk for Christmas.