• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a guy in Minnesota. It is often snowy there. He didn't write the song about the current snowstorms affecting the Eastern seaboard.

Well then, it makes even less sense. The dude made a video to point out that there's snow in MN, where there has always been lots of snow, and that supposed to serve as some sort of evidence of...well, what exactly?

Oh jesus fucking christ...you're right, a snowstorm does blow that whole climate change conspiracy out of the water. :yawn

Relax man, enjoy the humor once in a while. You take things too seriously. There is either global warming or there is not. Neither you nor I can say for sure which it is. I like tweaking you though. :cheers

Relax man, enjoy the humor once in a while. You take things too seriously. There is either global warming or there is not. Neither you nor I can say for sure which it is. I like tweaking you though. :cheers

With all the other bullshit out there masquerading as truth, I no longer find this sort of shit funny - as you’ll notice if you read the comments following the video, lots and lots of people agree with the Viking dipshit.

Science is, like, real.

Warmest January on record

http://climateprogress.org/2010/02/05/hottest-january-in-uah-satellite-record-roy-spencer-global-warming/

Climate scientists have long predicted more turbulent winter weather as a result of climate change.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/impacts/early-warning-signs-of-global-3.html

Don't worry, the carbon tax will save you. :D

Back at ya,

http://joannenova.com.au/global-warming/climategate-30-year-timeline/

Check and mate:

http://mediamatters.org/research/200912010002

http://www.examiner.com/x-29137-Tallahassee-Environmental-News-Examiner~y2009m11d27-Climategate-debunked

What sort of amazes me about you, is that you appear to believe in things for which little to no credible evidence exists, but in cases where there is plenty of evidence, you’re skeptical. In one of your other threads, I asked the following question:

me

Putting aside all that pesky evidence in favor of AGW, could someone please explain why pretty much the entire scientific community is perpetrating a hoax, and to what end?

You responded with this, more nonsense having to do with the UN, a New World Order and global governance. Tired claims for which zero credible evidence exists:

Sparky

Best I can find in the few minutes that I have to try and answer your question. I know there are better articles about this but this is a quick read. The first few paragraphs attempt to answer your question.

http://www.commodity...-23205-3-1.html

Here's another site with multiple articles which I know you won't agree with because some of them mention the desire for global governance as the main reason behind it. I don't know if that is the ultimate reason but many of these articles are interesting and provide info you won't get in the corporate controlled media.

http://www.wnho.net/global_warming.htm

Guest Speed Racer

Don't worry, the carbon tax will save you. :D

You don't bend over backwards to have a real discussion on this board at all, do you? As far as I can tell, you muster a paragraph at best of smart remarks to stir the shit and then leave a link, and never provide any of your own thoughts about the matter. I mean, we have a pretty low bar here at VC as far as participation goes, and as far as I'm concerned you haven't hit it yet.

The video was surprisingly not totally nauseating, I'll give you that. Sort of well done and humorous. But, my issue is with the ignorance inherent in the argument that "cold weather = climate change is fake".

Regardless of Sparky and/or the video producer just trying to be humorous, it's things like this that make people question the intelligence and/or level of ignorance of others. Whatever your view is on climate change, the cold winter that the northern hemisphere is experiencing is irrelevant. Weather and climate are not the same thing. Therefore to say, "look at the snow, global warming is a hoax", is just stupid.

You don't bend over backwards to have a real discussion on this board at all, do you? As far as I can tell, you muster a paragraph at best of smart remarks to stir the shit and then leave a link, and never provide any of your own thoughts about the matter. I mean, we have a pretty low bar here at VC as far as participation goes, and as far as I'm concerned you haven't hit it yet.

You forgot to compliment him for retiring those damn ellipses.

From the Huffington Post:

With a snowstorm blanketing the Northeast, deniers of global warming jumped at the opportunity to disprove Al Gore. Many of those deniers were over at Fox News. And those deniers were mocked by Stephen Colbert last night.

After showing clips of Fox News correspondents explaining that the weather is burying Al Gore's "hysterical" theories, Colbert joined in on the ridiculous logic, deeming it "simple observational research: what ever just happened is the only thing that is happening."

Using the same rationale as Fox News, Colbert couldn't help but point out that, due to it being nighttime, the city was covered in darkness."Based on this latest data, we can only assume that the sun has been destroyed." Who's to blame for this "forever-night"? Gore, of course.

Link - with video - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/11/colbert-rips-fox-news-for_n_458075.html

"THE SEASONAL SNOWFALL TOTAL IN WASHINGTON DC STANDS AT 54.9 INCHES. THIS WOULD BREAK THE PREVIOUS ALL-TIME SEASONAL SNOWFALL RECORD FOR WASHINGTON DC OF 54.4 INCHES SET IN THE WINTER OF 1898-99. OFFICIAL SNOWFALL RECORDS FOR WASHINGTON DC DATE BACK 126 YEARS TO 1884."

global warming doesn't mean things just get warmer; it means more extreme weather systems. you'll get severe droughts in one location and severe storms in other areas. coincidence that DC just has more snow this winter than it has ever had and the season isn't even over with yet? back to back blizzards in the area in less than a week. coincidence: i think not.

Of course every time we have a hot summer or a hurricane, it's OK to use that to validate global warming.

I disagree. That would be no different than saying, "Look at the snow! Global warming is a hoax!".

Guest Speed Racer

Of course every time we have a hot summer or a hurricane (edit: or a blizzard!), it's OK to use that to validate global warming.

Before your post, did anyone in this thread validate it?

I disagree. That would be no different than saying, "Look at the snow! Global warming is a hoax!".

My point exactly, though it's much sexier when done with sarcasm.

Before your post, did anyone in this thread validate it?

Al Gore did, but he deleted his post after I made mine. There was also a post doing so at the same time as I posted mine. Regardless, I wasn't aware that we were only allowed to address arguments made within a thread. I think at the very least, any argument ever made on the Huffington Post or by Andrew Sullivan are fair game since they vicariously participate on so many of our threads.

Guest Speed Racer

All of the Huffington and Sullivan articles point to studies (not men in wife beaters, but like, science, dude) that address trends (things that happen over time, not, like, instances, dude). Do you deny that a longitudinal study of data will likely yield a more accurate long-term trend than a single one-time measurement of data (or a screenshot of a man in a wife-beater) will?

it means more extreme weather systems.

As you can see here, isadorah is not using the storm to validate global warming, but to define what the phrases "global warming" and "climate change" mean, in order to correct someone (OP) who was misuing the phrases - perhaps because he was not clear on the their definitions. She uses her knowledge of the definitions of "climate change" and "global warming," and her knowledge of these trends she talks about, to come to what she thinks to be a reasonable conclusion about the recent extreme weather systems occuring in her neighborhood.