Calling All Tapers

Go buy some gear and do it yourself if you don't the selection.

:lol

Go buy some gear and do it yourself if you don't the selection.

Actually I do tape shows...I have over $1000 in equipment and have taped 2 separate Wilco shows (Jacksonville & Tampa) and about 20 other shows including Bruce, MMJ, Citizen Cope, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Kings of Leon, Green Day, Black Crowes.

I plan on taping the Florida Shows this year as well.

I was only commenting on the fact that it seams like less people are taping Wilco shows lately or if they are they are not sharing.

I would recommend purchasing from your local independent music store. :thumbup

I support local music stores, and it's a shame that Guitar Centers are popping up everywhere causing most of the independent music stores to go out of business, but in these tough economic times, it's a no brainer for the consumers. They can either go to the Guitar Center (or Musicians Friend) that is cheap and has a great selection (and will beat any competitor price), or they can go to the local independent music store that has a shitty selection, and everying is WAY more expensive. I can get a pack of strings from Musicians Friend for 4 bucks, the same pack at the local store is 9 bucks... Guitar Center/Musicians Friend are the Walmart's of music stores. Growing up, there were 4 music stores in my town.. Guitar Center came to town, fast forward a year, and now there are two independent stores left (and one is hurting bad).

Guest Speed Racer

I can get a pack of strings from Musicians Friend for 4 bucks, the same pack at the local store is 9 bucks... Guitar Center/Musicians Friend are the Walmart's of music stores.

In my experience, if you frequent a local shop, you'll get pretty good deals. The shops that know what's up will always, always be kind to their loyal customers. I buy all my strings at an independent place down the street from me, and when I needed a humidifier for my acoustic they asked me what kind of case I had; when I showed it to them they walked around back and got me an amazing hardshell case they had lying around - they just gave it to me, only charging me for the humidifier. I've seen them place special orders for people all the time; they won't charge them shipping if they're patient enough to wait for the next big shipment.

On the other hand, if a Guitar Center was right down the street from me and the independent shop was a car ride away, I'd head to GC.

In my experience, if you frequent a local shop, you'll get pretty good deals. The shops that know what's up will always, always be kind to their loyal customers. I buy all my strings at an independent place down the street from me, and when I needed a humidifier for my acoustic they asked me what kind of case I had; when I showed it to them they walked around back and got me an amazing hardshell case they had lying around - they just gave it to me, only charging me for the humidifier. I've seen them place special orders for people all the time; they won't charge them shipping if they're patient enough to wait for the next big shipment.

On the other hand, if a Guitar Center was right down the street from me and the independent shop was a car ride away, I'd head to GC.

You are right that the quality of customer service is much higher at the local stores. At Guitar Center, your dealing with arrogant hipsters who think they know everything about gear when they don't know squat.

Also, Guitar Center doesn't do repairs (well at least mine doesn't). My amp dies, I have to take it to the independent store.. But when it comes to gear, strings, etc., I have to go with GC or MF.

Guest Runaway Jim

I've never been a regular shopper at any independent music shops, but I've always been disappointed with the service when I have gone. The workers at those types of places just rub me the wrong way. They act like their better than me because I'm just a casual guitarist.

I bought my last guitar at the Chicago Music Exchange. I will never return to that store.

Guest Speed Racer

You are right that the quality of customer service is much higher at the local stores. At Guitar Center, your dealing with arrogant hipsters who think they know everything about gear when they don't know squat.

Also, Guitar Center doesn't do repairs (well at least mine doesn't). My amp dies, I have to take it to the independent store.. But when it comes to gear, strings, etc., I have to go with GC or MF.

Eh, to that I would say: what do you do as a musician who wants to work at a music store, when none of the independent places in your area are hiring? You need money, you like the idea of a store discount - should your desire for a paycheck always align that closely with your principles? We'd all like to think so, but that's not always the case

Our GC does repairs, and I happen to know a good friend of the guy who does them, and he's pretty good. Of the three places I frequent in my area - two independents and a GC - the GC guys have treated me much better than at one of the local shops. Assholes can work anywhere, and so can nice people.

At Guitar Center, your dealing with arrogant hipsters who think they know everything about gear when they don't know squat.

I love hitting up an independent store as much as the next person, but that's a bit of an inappropriate sweeping generalization there. I've yet to ever encounter an arrogant hipster at a GC. And I've yet to encounter a-hole at a local shop. I guess I've just been lucky.