Duluth MN's Mayor Loves Wilco

He seems to be pretty smitten with them and eager to award some kind of "key to the city" honor to them:

http://www.perfectduluthday.com/2010/02/15/wilco-the-city-duluth/

Wilco (the city) = Duluth

By Don Ness on Feb 15, 2010

Wilco’s fog show in Duluth was the equivalent of two young lovers waiting out a downpour in a phone booth (if the weather wasn’t so bad we’d still just be holding hands).

I loved that show – the fog, the ore boat, the Brewhouse beer, the unseasonable cold, and a band who seemed to thrive in the elements. It was perfect because it was such an authentic Duluth experience and Wilco seemed to appreciate it every bit as much as we did.

It seems to me there something special going on between Wilco and Duluth, a sense of connection between band and city. Duluthians recognize and appreciate the authenticity, the talent, the lack of pretense – it’s all those qualities that we see and expect from our local rock stars (Al, Mimi, Charlie, Turtles, Jerree, Tony B, etc).

So, here’s the deal, since there is nothing in the Charter that strictly prohibits me from doing so, I’m going to officially proclaim Wilco as an honorary Duluth band. I need your help to define exactly what that means…

1) We need to come up with some sort of “official trinket” that represents their honorary Duluth band status

2) We need to present the ground rules for being a Duluth band – with power comes responsibility

3) What are the special perks to being a Duluth band in good standing?

Obviously, they would now be eligible to play Homegrown (we’ll have to remind them that registration closes at the end of February).

Thanks for your help.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/160817/publisher_ID/36/

Is Wilco one of us?: Mayor Ness to confer Duluth honor on alt band

Duluth Mayor Don Ness wrote a post on the local Web site Perfect Duluth Day decreeing that Wilco be named an honorary Duluth band and asking the public for ideas on what this should mean.

By: Christa Lawler, Duluth News Tribune

The Chicago band Wilco last played Duluth in early September 2007. It was an unseasonably cold night, with wind and mists of rain at Bayfront Festival Park. At one point in the concert, a large ship passed behind the stage and through the fog.

It was that moment Duluth Mayor Don Ness was referring to when he wrote a post on the local Web site Perfect Duluth Day decreeing that Wilco be named an honorary Duluth band — “There’s nothing in the charter that strictly prohibits me from doing so,” he wrote — and asking the public for ideas on what this should mean.

Ness said he will meet with the band backstage before they perform at 8 p.m. today at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center Auditorium. It’s a sold-out show, and another Chicago band, Califone, is opening. He’s not sure how he is going to pass on this particular honor.

“I thought that by recognizing them as an honorary Duluth band, it would be an appropriate way to thank them, and show them how much we appreciate them,” Ness said.

This is how Ness describes the confluence of events at the 2007 Wilco concert:

“The fog show was something that was a very meaningful experience for everyone who was there. When the ore ship came through and the band looked over. … It was almost a surreal moment, but it was an authentic Duluth moment that they recognized and appreciated. It is what strengthened the bond between the band and the audience.”

So far, the honorary band status just means that Wilco is eligible to play Homegrown Music Festival, the annual event where more than a hundred local bands perform at more than a dozen venues in the Twin Ports over eight days.

But it raises the question: What is it about Duluth and Wilco that seems to jibe?

Rich Narum, a local music junkie who sees two live shows a week on a slow week, said the band represents Duluth’s hippie alt country rock sensibilities.

“There are many tours that Wilco does where they come to Duluth and not to the Twin Cities,” Narum said. “I think they feel at home here. It’s just a welcoming community.”

KUMD 103.3 FM music director Christine Dean said there is a lot of excitement any time any big band comes to Duluth. But Wilco has gone above and beyond.

“First of all, Wilco is a great band,” Dean said. “Second of all, they’ve come here three times. We’re really appreciative when people pay attention to Duluth. Then when they do it three times …”

Eric Swanson, who was on the crew during the show at Bayfront, said Wilco is a great band that writes great songs and that Nels Cline is a great guitar player. Plus, Swanson said, there is none of that “rock star b.s.”

“They were there to make up a show they’d canceled earlier,” he said. “They didn’t have to do that. Then, on a night like that, they could have said, ‘Screw this. We’re not going to play.’ They turned out an inspired and longer-than-usual set. I give them a lot of credit for that.

“I think that they get Duluth,” he added. “That Duluth is this undiscovered gem. This cool scene of people; it’s creative and artsy and Duluth is flying under the radar. They understand why we live here. It’s beautiful. And even though we’re all broke, we have a good time.”

Looks like Madison may be joining the party. If nothing else, the wording of the resolution is mildy amusing:

Laptop City Hall: City Council may declare Wilco members honorary citizens of Madison

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/govt_and_politics/city_hall/article_76f04cda-20d9-11df-9155-001cc4c002e0.html

After receiving some admonishment from the rock band Wilco at their sold-out concert at the Overture Center last week, one City Council member is setting the record straight on the city's fondness for the frequent musical visitors by declaring them honorary citizens of this fine city.

"Last night, the mayor of Duluth made us an honorary Duluth band," Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy informed concert attendees on Saturday. "And we've only played there twice. How many times have we played Madison? A lot. No key to the city, no certificate, nothing."

Not to be outdone by Duluth of all places, Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway quickly drafted up a resolution over the weekend that will be introduced within a few hours at the City Council meeting. After introduction, it will likely be brought back for a vote at the next council meeting on March 2.

The resolution (sponsored by Rhodes-Conway and Mayor Dave Cieslewicz at this point) reads:

"Title: Declaring the band Wilco and its members Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt, Glenn Kotche, Mikael Jorgensen, Nels Cline, and Pat Sansone, honorary citizens of the great City of Madison, Wisconsin.

Body: WHEREAS, Wilco has visited Madison and played concerts here at least thirteen times since 1995 (including a show at Club DeWash in February of 1995); and,

WHEREAS, Jeff Tweedy says of Madison: 'We really like it here'; and,

WHEREAS, Wisconsinites generally have a love/hate relationship with all things from Illinois but the sold-out show at the Overture Center on February 21, 2010 (sic) had only love for this band from Chicago; and,

WHEREAS, at least one member of the Common Council attended the show and can attest to its excellence; and,

WHEREAS, The Isthmus called Wilco 'America's shiniest rock object'; and,

WHEREAS, Duluth, MN may be cool, but we would not want it said that either that fine city or its mayor are cooler than Madison and our mayor (even if Mayor Dave is not sure who Jeff Tweedy is); and,

WHEREAS, the City of Madison looks forward to many future visits by Wilco; and,

WHEREAS, It is generally true that late is better than never,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Common Council and Mayor declare the band Wilco and its members, Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt, Glenn Kotche, Mikael Jorgensen, Nels Cline, and Pat Sansone, honorary citizens of the great City of Madison, Wisconsin."

Now the question is, is being declared honorary citizens of a city as good as being declared an honorary band? On the other hand, I can only imagine the debate that might occur over declaring an honorary Madison band after the Great Flamingo Debate of 2009.

Is Chicago next? One Trib reporter thinks so:

Hands off our Wilco

Back off poser cities, this band belongs to Chicago

By Dan Simmons, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:27 p.m. CST, February 25, 2010

Link

How cool is Wilco?

So cool that the Chicago rock stalwarts touched off a cool rivalry between two Midwestern cities north of here.

The fun started when Duluth, Minn., Mayor Don Ness, a big fan, proclaimed the group an honorary Duluth band before a concert last week.

"Our intent was to let folks know Duluthians really value Wilco's talent," he said. "It was meant to be a quiet thank you."

Apparently, Wilco didn't get the memo about the quiet part. The next night at a show in Madison, Wis., lead singer Jeff Tweedy explained the Duluth honor and wondered why Madison hadn't made a similar proclamation.

Among the revelers was someone who actually could do something about it: Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway.

"I sent the mayor a text," she said. "I thought it sounded like good fun."

Rhodes-Conway drafted a resolution granting Wilco honorary Madisonian status, explaining, "Duluth may be cool, but we would not want it said that either their fine city or its mayor are cooler than Madison and our mayor."

Ness said he wasn't put off by copycat resolutions and encouraged Chicago to join the fun.

"We're the trailblazers for Wilco proclamations," he said. "I invite Mayor (Richard) Daley or any other mayor to steal our idea."

So will Chicago follow the lead when Tweedy plays solo shows at the Vic Theatre on March 12 and 13?

"We're always open to suggestions," said city spokeswoman Kate Sansone (no relation to Wilco member Pat Sansone). "We're very proud that Wilco hails from Chicago."

Copyright © 2010, Chicago Tribune

I think these resolutions are great --- as a one-time municipal reporter for a community newspaper, I can attest to how boring and unfunny municipal government is (proof -- a months long battle over leaf collection -- hand to God.) I love the fact that these councils have such great senses of humor. Maybe I should relocate to Wisconsin? Probalby not -- hate snow. Although I think there's more snow in Belleville NJ today than at the Winter Olympics.

Ha, nice. Mayor Dave really is a funny guy. I kind of wish someone had contacted him beforehand to introduce Wilco (wait, was I supposed to do that?), because he does a great job with intros. Of course, Russ Feingold has introduced Wilco. That should count for something.

I knew a lady who came from Duluth; she was bitten by a dog with a rabid tooth. She had to get a battery of shots for treatment, and the dog's head had to be removed. It was not a pleasant story by any means.

Did she survive or did she go to her grave just a little too soon?

Whoa, I just looked up and saw Wilco concert footage on the Madison news. The newscasters were talking about the resolution to make them citizens, which was apparently discussed at tonight's council meeting. I honestly couldn't make out whether it was officially adopted or what. Here's the item from the meeting agenda tonight ... it still makes me laugh:

COMMON COUNCIL Agenda - Amended March 2, 2010

HONORING RESOLUTION

1. 17574 Declaring the band Wilco and its members, Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt, Glenn

Kotche, Mikael Jorgensen, Nels Cline, and Pat Sansone, honorary citizens of

the great City of Madison, Wisconsin.

Sponsors: Satya V. Rhodes-Conway, David J. Cieslewicz, Chris Schmidt, Brian L.

Solomon, Bridget R. Maniaci, Tim Bruer, Julia S. Kerr, Marsha A.

Rummel, Shiva Bidar-Sielaff and Michael E. Verveer

Legislative History

2/23/10 Council Office Referred for Introduction

Refer to 3/2/10 Common Council Meeting

2/23/10 COMMON COUNCIL Refer to the COMMON COUNCIL

Adopt 3/2/10

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was pretty funny ... one of my favorite bands, local (Chicago) favorites Umphrey's McGee was just made honorary citizens of Madison, and Wilco's recent crowning as citizens of the same city was even name-checked in Umphrey's' proclamation:

(in the 5th WHEREAS: "WHEREAS, recently another Chicago-based band, Wilco, was given the esteemed honor of citizenship having only played Madison 13 times (fewer than Umphrey's McGee's concerts at the Barrymore alone)"

:)

mayoral-proc.jpg