The Bottle Rockets

I'm leaning towards seeing them here tonight in Louisville, mostly for the UT/Wilco connection and was wondering what to expect. It's a somewhat late show at a place that I don't particularly like and I know they've been around for a long time, I'm wondering how they are live these days and if it'll be worth my while? Anyone?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. GO!! Excellent live band. You will not be disappointed. We never miss an opportunity.

Yup, you had better go see them. I try to catch every time they come to town. I'm going to see them twice this up-coming Friday when they come rolling through (once at an in-store and in concert later that night). They put on a heck of a show. I don't much care for their albums but they're great live.

Sounds like it's unanimous! Looks like I'll be going.

Actually I think you will particularly like their working class lyrics, which are not BS, since all of these guys still have day jobs. In fact Brian Heinneman is a driver for a place that customizes cars and vans and his new song, The Driver is about that job. The rest of the guys also work as bar tenders, in a tee shirt shop, etc. Definitely go up to Mark the drummer and say hello from me.

Eventually the concert/interview DVD that WhiskeyBender shot will be released. I think the interview parts are particularly interesting. Brian has some interesting insights into the days of the St. Louis music scene that included Uncle Tupelo.

LouieB

Well,

I won't go as far as saying I didn't like them, and I really hate the venue they played at, but I guess I left feeling sort of lukewarm. They were all very good players and the songs were almost without exception catchy, I don't know I just didn't get bowled over. Granted I've only ever heard a handful of songs, so that unfamiliarity certainly played a role. Ultimately I think I felt about like I do when I see Son Volt, I like that one song they play, but they play it all night long. I'd certainly be willing to see the BR's again in a better environment.

Well okay, I can understand that. Most groups do sound fairly similar sometimes. (Then again I am pretty much done with Son Volt, whereas I like the BoRox from way back and know all their songs at this point.)

Did they get a good crowd at least?

LouieB

Louie,

Yeah it was a good crowd, maybe 200. But it's one of those places where a lot of regulars come every weekend regardless of who is playing, so ti's hard to tell how many were there for the BR's. The majority of the crowd was seated or in the back, with maybe 25 or so down front. I did stand right at the front of the 3' high stage throughout.

It might help to pick up a couple of their CDs just to get a better feel for their music. I would stay away from stuff from the middle period, but then again none of it may be to your taste.

Their first three or their last one are all excellent.

LouieB

Where was this recorded. I don't do downloading and I am curious.

LouieB

The Bottle Rockets

Phoenix Hill Tavern

Louisville, KY

February 20, 2010

Disc 1 (61:20):

Intro/tuning

Hard Times false start

Hard Times

24 Hours A Day

Every Kinda Everything

Slo Toms

Nancy Sinatra

Happy Anniversary

Shame On Me

Done It All Before

Way It Used To Be

Get Down River

Give Me Room

Waitin' On A Train

Sometimes Found

Gravity Fails

Love Like A Truck

Kerosene

Disc 2 (20:11):

I'll Be Comin' Around>

Radar Gun>

Indianapolis

The Long Way

Encore:

Mendocino

Thanks....so it was from THAT venue. There was a taper at Schubas when we filmed them there. I wonder if that kind of stuff shows up??

LouieB

There've been a few shows pop up on etree and DIME over the past couple of years, including some of the 15th Anniversary shows. I don't recall seeing one from Schubas, nor any video from anywhere.

they gotta start doing gas girl again

their best song & slays live

The last time that they were in Tampa, they ripped Gas Girl up. Love when they play it.

• 3 years later...

Might as well post this here.

Bottle Rockets are re-releasing the first two albums, including the debut which has been out of print for about 20 years, with tons of bonus material.  Tweedy and Farrar make an appearance.

http://www.spin.com/articles/bottle-rockets-indianapolis-uncle-tupelo-stream-reissue-demo/

I'm pretty psyched for this, even though many of the demos have been floating around for awhile.  I'd buy this just to get a legit copy of the first record and 40 pages of liner notes.