Jeff Tweedy -- 3/13/10, Chicago, IL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would've thought a Q/A session could have gone wrong? :pirate

Did it go wrong because of the Jay question? Or were there other awkward moments during the Q&A. That must have been fun! I can't imagine going to a concert where that happens. Did people raise their hands and get called on?

Had an incredible time at this show. I flew in from NYC just to see it (an impulse booking) and managed to attend despite everything conspiring against me. New York had a crazy wind storm and my original Saturday afternoon flight got canceled on Thursday night (which I didn't find out about until Friday afternoon). I got the last seat on another airline for a Saturday morning flight, which wound up being one of the few flights that got out of LaGuardia before the winds hit.

After all that, I was still there early enough to get my request played (Blasting Fonda) and had amazing seats among some really great (and quiet!) people.

I thought the setlist, the crowd interaction...Jeremy, all made this a perfect show. I'm praying the folks who were recording it are kind enough to share it soon (and not just because my name was mentioned 3 times!). This is only my second time seeing Tweedy solo and I was so disappointed when no recording of the other show ever surfaced (the Pete Seeger show in Beacon, NY).

The next morning my alarm clock didn't go off and I woke up at 9:30 for my 11:00 flight back to NY (10:30 boarding time). Thanks so much to the Comair crew that let me hitch a ride with them to the jetblue terminal - and to the TSA agents that didn't strip search me when my alarm clock FINALLY did start ringing.....as my luggage was being x-rayed!!! I guess luck was on my side in many ways for this trip. Definitely coming back next year!

Quick iPhone snap - maybe for my album art when (if) the torrent is released :pray

thevic.jpg

Was audience taping allowed at this show?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure audio taping was generally allowed, as it would be at just about any Jeff/Wilco show. I only know of one rig, though there could have been others taping.

I'm praying the folks who were recording it are kind enough to share it soon (and not just because my name was mentioned 3 times!). This is only my second time seeing Tweedy solo and I was so disappointed when no recording of the other show ever surfaced (the Pete Seeger show in Beacon, NY).

I wouldn't count on the recordings from either night of these benefits showing up soon, but here's hoping they do make their way out there...eventually. Glad you made it from NYC and got your request in (nice one, btw...you're Josh, I assume?) despite all of the snafus. :thumbup

Why not? Just curious. What is that based on?

In my case, past experience. I've yet to see one of these recordings surface.

That must have been fun! I can't imagine going to a concert where that happens. Did people raise their hands and get called on?

Yes, people raised their hands, although the farther away from the stage you were, the less likely it was that Jeff would see you or your hand. The balcony had to remind him that they were present, and then Jeff asked that they elect a representative to ask the question since he couldn't actually see any of them. (That is the point at which Jeremy asked if he could pay Jeff $5 in exchange for the chance to play a G chord on Jeff's guitar.)

Glad you made it from NYC and got your request in (nice one, btw...you're Josh, I assume?) despite all of the snafus. :thumbup

Yes, I'm Josh - good memory! Although I felt more like "even Steven" since all the snafus worked out for me. In fact, my first request (Gun) had already been picked so I changed it. As it turned out, Gun wasn't played.

As for the recording, I introduced myself to one of the tapers after the show and pretty much begged him to post it when he's done with it. He said he'd "probably put it out there somewhere" or something to that effect. I don't spend a lot of time on this board, but I've seen his name around here and he's put out some exquisite recordings in the past. I hope he is kind enough to share it (and that those of you that know him will encourage him to do it). I would be forever grateful - for many reasons, this show is one memory I would love to be able to revisit for a long time to come. I'd even be happy to make a donation toward all the effort and overhead (a LOT more than Jeremy's $5!! :cheers)

Why not offer these shows for downloading the same way they offered the shows to benefit relief in Haiti? Becuase of the uniqueness of these shows and the fact that Jeff does so much talking, joking, and calling people out, it would be a nice treat both for people who attended that night to relive, or for those who were not there to experience one of these nights as best they can. They can ask for donations to the scholarship fund in return.

I wrote about Friday night so for Saturday all I want to add is not enough has been said about Jeff's mastering of Fake Plastic Trees. Taking into account that both a 7 worlds collide album and most of WTA happened in New Zeland, I say Jeff learning that song from the Radiohead guys was the best thing to come out of that time.

Guest Runaway Jim

I agreed that Jeff has mastered Fake Plastic Trees. I was really surprised to hear him play it at last year's show - I had no idea he played it. It probably was the highlight of the show for me on Saturday.

Great fucking picture!

Thanks! I wanted to bring my real camera but I called the Vic and they said small point-n-shoots only so I didn't bother. But when I stepped outside after being completely blown away by the performance, I had to grab something to preserve the moment (I have a horrific memory - hence the desperate plea for the tape!). I snapped that shot just as my iPhone battery was going dead and did a little editing on the plane ride home. I hope there is a more liberal camera policy in Montclair, NJ or Hartford, CT - like there was in Wappingers Falls and Beacon, NY (see horribly compressed, forum-compliant shots attached):

811972108_seeger-tweedy.jpg

tweedy 07-18-09.jpg

Thanks! I wanted to bring my real camera but I called the Vic and they said small point-n-shoots only so I didn't bother. But when I stepped outside after being completely blown away by the performance, I had to grab something to preserve the moment (I have a horrific memory - hence the desperate plea for the tape!). I snapped that shot just as my iPhone battery was going dead and did a little editing on the plane ride home. I hope there is a more liberal camera policy in Montclair, NJ or Hartford, CT - like there was in Wappingers Falls and Beacon, NY (see horribly compressed, forum-compliant shots attached):

The photo with Pete Seeger is beyond cool....

Guest Runaway Jim

So what was the deal with the Single Ladies thing?

I thought it was funny, though I didn't get the actual joke. It was obviously some sort of running gag, considering Jeff had the lyrics printed out and nearby.

So what was the deal with the Single Ladies thing?

I thought it was funny, though I didn't get the actual joke. It was obviously some sort of running gag, considering Jeff had the lyrics printed out and nearby.

Someone's request on the list taken before the show was "either Ashes of American Flags or Single Ladies." Everyone expected the former, but he must have printed out Single Ladies when he saw that request. It was also hilarious that he had to "google [his] own song" ("Shakin' Sugar/ Alone).

Guest Runaway Jim

I'm just guessing that joke runs longer than just that night. Because why would someone just randomly request Single Ladies. My guess is the request itself was a joke, one that Jeff was prepared for, or at least willing to go along with.

That was my request. I wouldn't really call it a standing joke, but years ago at our first basement show Jeff did a little impromptu singing of another Beyoncé song. "Crazy in Love" maybe? And at the Second City event last December, he played a little bit of "Single Ladies" while some people were trying to make a decision about what to request. Plus, the song is fantastic. So, I figured ... what the heck.

Guest Runaway Jim

Yeah it was. That was the first year I went to that show. Jeff was hilarious. I loved when he was getting ready to play Gun, I think, and asked if there were any Uncle Tupelo fans in the crowd, and when everyone cheered he said something like, "Well, where the hell were you all back then?"

The 2007 show is out there. I think there was only 1 that year.

I've only looked for the shows I attended: '08 and the the 2nd night of '09. I've yet to find either, but I also haven't looked very hard since a month or two after the shows.