Neil Young Tour 2010

My friend got us tickets to see Neil in Atlanta on May 29. This will be my 1st time seeing Neil, and i am so stoked!! What should I expect of a live performance from Neil? Anybody else get tickets for this tour?

He's hitting Spartanburg, which is close, but dammit the ticket prices are outrageous. I can't justify spending $80 plus ticket raper charges for one ticket, let alone two for both my wife and I, and those are the cheapest seats. Sucks because he will probably never come this close again.

He's hitting Spartanburg, which is close, but dammit the ticket prices are outrageous. I can't justify spending $80 plus ticket raper charges for one ticket, let alone two for both my wife and I, and those are the cheapest seats. Sucks because he will probably never come this close again.

i'm paying $117. i feel like it's worth it cos this is the only chance I will have at seeing him.

well he does tour a fair bit, but he's not getting any younger either.

from what i've heard it's just him solo, so expect some acoustic guitar, harmonica, maybe a banjo (i would love to hear 'for the turnstiles') and some piano or pump organ (he did a great version of 'after the goldrush' on organ a while back).

definitely get there in time for the opener, too. Bert Jansch is a goddamn legend.

Nice....Bert is definitely a legend and rarely performs in the US....maybe not even in the UK. He is one of the all time great guitarists and not young either. Don't miss him for sure, particularly at those prices.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

i must say i don't care for daniel lanois very much- maybe i just havent heard a great record produced by him yet. i think he produced the last rocco deluca record, and much of it was crap.

Wrecking Ball (Emmylou Harris) was pretty freaking good, IMO.

I am going to the show in Nashville at The Ryman. There is NOTHING like Neil Young solo acoustic!!!!

i must say i don't care for daniel lanois very much- maybe i just havent heard a great record produced by him yet. i think he produced the last rocco deluca record, and much of it was crap.

You should check out the work he did with U2 and Bob Dylan.

Thrasher's Wheat link:

Neil Young in Studio With Producer Daniel Lanois

You must buy Wrecking Ball and Teatro immediately.

Teatro and Wrecking Ball are great. as are Time Out of Mind and Oh Mercy. Lanois solo stuff isn't half bad either. I could listen to him play that damn pedal steel all day long.

as far as neil writing good songs, there is speculation on the rustlist that lanois doesn't just do any old project and as a result has encouraged neil to tour the new songs and then go back to the studio.

The role of a producer is somewhat like that of an editor or an opionated person. Throughout neil's career, he has used David Briggs (Tonight's The Night, Everybody knows this is nowhere, after the goldrush, etc.) and Elliot Mazer (Harvest, Harvest Moon, etc). Briggs died in 95 and I dont know what has been up with Mazor, but I think for the last 15 years, most of the records suffered from not having that strong opinion around. Neil needs someone to tell him that even though the muse struck and he wrote a chorus and four verses, the song isnt complete. A producer says that part is amazing, that part sucks, you should add some pedal steel here, things like that. They keep an eye on the whole project, so the artist can focus on making material, and in working with the producer hopefully a great record can come from it.

Neil has been through a lot of changes in his life lately. His near brush with death and having to deal with so many close friends dieing over the last few years has to be really rough on him. I think having a new guy around is a good thing for the music, and I think we are about to have a Neil masterpiece. If history shows us anything, Neil is about to blow our collective minds!

and I cant freakin wait! I am so unbelievably excited to get to see him for the first time. He has not played anywhere at all logistically close enough that I could afford to see him in the 7 years I have been an obsessed fan. I have somewhere to crash in Atlanta, and it is a weekend during the summer so it wont affect school or work. I cant wait!!!!

The role of a producer is somewhat like that of an editor or an opionated person. Throughout neil's career, he has used David Briggs (Tonight's The Night, Everybody knows this is nowhere, after the goldrush, etc.) and Elliot Mazer (Harvest, Harvest Moon, etc). Briggs died in 95 and I dont know what has been up with Mazor, but I think for the last 15 years, most of the records suffered from not having that strong opinion around. Neil needs someone to tell him that even though the muse struck and he wrote a chorus and four verses, the song isnt complete. A producer says that part is amazing, that part sucks, you should add some pedal steel here, things like that. They keep an eye on the whole project, so the artist can focus on making material, and in working with the producer hopefully a great record can come from it.

Neil has been through a lot of changes in his life lately. His near brush with death and having to deal with so many close friends dieing over the last few years has to be really rough on him. I think having a new guy around is a good thing for the music, and I think we are about to have a Neil masterpiece. If history shows us anything, Neil is about to blow our collective minds!

and I cant freakin wait! I am so unbelievably excited to get to see him for the first time. He has not played anywhere at all logistically close enough that I could afford to see him in the 7 years I have been an obsessed fan. I have somewhere to crash in Atlanta, and it is a weekend during the summer so it wont affect school or work. I cant wait!!!!

i'll be at atlanta too. a very special night for several reasons. my wife and i agreed years ago that the only concert we would pay full price for would be neil young solo acoustic. so here we go!

good points about a producer. it's gonna be interesting how this turns out. it's probably gonna be mellow, but roar a bit in places. hearing old black (neil's guitar) with all that swampy lanois reverb is gonna be cool.

Nice....Bert is definitely a legend and rarely performs in the US....maybe not even in the UK. He is one of the all time great guitarists and not young either. Don't miss him for sure, particularly at those prices.

LouieB

I'll third that on Bert Jansch. As a long time fan of his work with the Pentangle and with John Renbourn, I finally got to see him a couple of years ago. I can't believe he's opening for Neil. He is truly a mostly unappreciated legend.

I'll bet this will be a wonderful show/tour. Seen him solo a couple of times, with a country band in the mid-80s, and with Crazy Horse. The solo shows are impressive, but imho, pale in comparison to a Neil Young with Crazy Horse show.

never seen crazy horse. they always came around when i was not into neil. hope he does at least one more crazy horse project. maybe a residency or something. poncho is no longer on the tonight show with kevin eubanks, so maybe he's free. i can see neil ditching lanois after this tour and knocking out a crazy horse album before the years out if the mood hits him.

would have loved to have seen the international harvesters! so cool.

I would like to be able say ive seen neil solo acoustic and with crazy horse. I have tickets for the solo acoustic gig, so now I am waiting on the horse.

I believe they are all not on good terms though.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=10857_Neil_Young_Heads_Down_A_Twisted_Road

another article about Twisted Road album. mentions archives II will be out before end of 2010. i really want to believe this. it could happen i guess. we haven't had any neil product since december. we usually get something every 6 months since the archives broke.

I would like to be able say ive seen neil solo acoustic and with crazy horse. I have tickets for the solo acoustic gig, so now I am waiting on the horse.

I believe they are all not on good terms though.

i'd love to see Neil w/ Crazy Horse again....i think the last time was on the 'don't spook the horse' tour in '90/'91. seeing as though Molina's been playing drums w/ Neil, i guess the malcontents are Talbot and/or Sampedro?