Your Favorite Nuances/Parts of Wilco Songs

This is a little odd and maybe I'm misinterpretting Jeff's lyrics but I love the part in 'What's the World Got in Store' where he's iike: "You've been working hard and I know you're tired/You've been trying hard not to think I'm a liar" and then immediately goes into the "What's the World Got in Store for you now?" It just strikes me as so cold and good. He's like hey I've been lying to you, wonder what's going to happen to you now? In one breath he's saying he's a liar but in the next he shrugs off all culpability and gets coldly curious.

I also love how he pulls back from sweet at the last minute: in You and I, it sounds almost sweet until he gets to the "Oh I don't want to know everything about you part" but my favorite is in Open Mind where it's so sweet and lovely and then he sings "I would ask almost insist upon treating you kind and fair" "almost insist" on treating someone kind? So there's a part of him who might just be an ass to her.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a little odd and maybe I'm misinterpretting Jeff's lyrics but I love  the part in 'What's the World Got in Store' where he's iike:  "You've been working hard and I know you're tired/You've been trying hard not to think I'm a liar" and then immediately goes into the "What's the World Got in Store for you now?"  It just strikes me as so cold and good.  He's like hey I've been lying to you, wonder what's going to happen to you now?  In one breath he's saying he's a liar but in the next he shrugs off all culpability and gets coldly curious.

I also love how he pulls back from sweet at the last minute:  in You and I, it sounds almost sweet until he gets to the "Oh I don't want to know everything about you part"  but my favorite is in Open Mind where it's so sweet and lovely and then he sings "I would ask almost insist upon treating you kind and fair"  "almost insist" on treating someone kind?  So there's a part of him who might just be an ass to her.

I catch those warm-cold or cold-warm sudden transitions too. My favorite is in Capitol City--the sarcasm of "breath in that country air," followed by the needy sound in his voice for "I wish you were here or I was there with you..."

Side note: I recently realized that this month marks my 10-year anniversary as a Wilco fan as well as the 100-year mark of the sinking of the Titanic. Hmmmm. ;-) 

This is a little odd and maybe I'm misinterpretting Jeff's lyrics but I love the part in 'What's the World Got in Store' where he's iike: "You've been working hard and I know you're tired/You've been trying hard not to think I'm a liar" and then immediately goes into the "What's the World Got in Store for you now?" It just strikes me as so cold and good. He's like hey I've been lying to you, wonder what's going to happen to you now? In one breath he's saying he's a liar but in the next he shrugs off all culpability and gets coldly curious.

I also love how he pulls back from sweet at the last minute: in You and I, it sounds almost sweet until he gets to the "Oh I don't want to know everything about you part" but my favorite is in Open Mind where it's so sweet and lovely and then he sings "I would ask almost insist upon treating you kind and fair" "almost insist" on treating someone kind? So there's a part of him who might just be an ass to her.

That brutal honesty is one of the things I love most about these songs. True honesty of this nature is difficult and rare in relationships. My wife, who is decidedly not a Wilco fan (but, thankfully, indulges my mania), sees this as kind of a "Fuck you!", but it's acknowledgemant of how self-destructive and unself-aware we can be sometimes. It's like saying, "I'll never do that again - until the next time." Knowing it happens and sincerely acknowledging it is akin to an apology, don't you think? Makes me think of the the line in "Reservations": "How can I convince you that it's me I don't like?" To paraphrase: I've been a dick,, but it wasn't you that I was really lashing out at. Love means being able to say you're sorry.