Your Favorite Nuances/Parts of Wilco Songs

When Nels hits that first note for the solo in Impossible Germany. The B over the G chord. Nothing like playing the third to give it just that little bit of tension. Then add that right hand vibrato. Love that.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the web cast I’ve continued to put the 4-6-10 Boston show in heavy rotation at home. There’s a bit during the opener W(TS) - after the robovoice concludes the introductions and says “Ladies & Gentlemen, Wilco” - that little stand alone guitar riff just before the band kicks back in absolutely rocks. Wilco indeed!

Also from off the beaten path – the 2002 Letterman appearance with them performing War on War (YouTube). From Dave’s intro to the first vocal – I love watching & listening to how they build the song so perfectly & simply. The killer though is watching GK & how absolutely committed he is to the song. After the vocals I also love the energy & interplay between JS & JT with GK as they build to the end of the tune. Great stuff IMO.

Since the web cast I’ve continued to put the 4-6-10 Boston show in heavy rotation at home. There’s a bit during the opener W(TS) - after the robovoice concludes the introductions and says “Ladies & Gentlemen, Wilco” - that little stand alone guitar riff just before the band kicks back in absolutely rocks. Wilco indeed!

Love that too!!! And "John Steer - at". Love the sense of humor!

I mentioned this earlier and think we're talking about the same thing. To me it sounds like (at least I've always thought it was) a fuzzed-out guitar. It definitely has a higher-pitched, buzzing quality to it that does sound like a kazoo.

Question: do people like the original instrumental coda of "Muzzle of Bees," including the very last sliding chord, better on record or as done by Nels live now?

I love the e-bow in the live version. Wicked.

Thanks I Get from Sunken Treasure.."we can make it better, we can make it better"

Having seen two Tweedy solo shows and participated in the "The Thanks I Get" singalongs, this is a good one. I still can't decide if I like this version or the full-band version better. The latter I think speaks to the "dirty soul record" vibe that was frequently spoken of in the time leading up to SBS. ANYWAY, in the band version, I do love the little fills by the piano right before the title chorus, after "but you don't hear a word I say/why you think I'm leaving?/I think we're both crazy"

The way Jeff pronounces important in Impossible Germany.

:thumbup (also, the way Jeff sings "fundamental")

Ken's drums in "Sunken Treasure" especially when they first crash in: "but there IS no sunken treasure..."

During "Hate It Here" live, the keys that sound like a phone: "I'll check the phone..."

Slightly off-topic, OK way off-topic: in "Blasting Fonda" the lines "in days of olden, silence was golden" sound so familiar. Can't put my finger on it. A little help?

Nels' mini solo in Company in my back live - This one holds a special place in my heart. I first saw Wilco live at Bonnaroo last summer, I actually had made the mistake of never listening to them before, other than listening to (the album) on the car ride to Tennessee. The first two songs were Wilco, followed by IATTBYH. Company in my Back was the third song, and was the first time i ever heard Nels really rip it on the guitar. I was hooked from the first second.

The way John sings "There's a whole lot of money"

The low piano chords in Radio Cure

The second chorus of Lets Not Get Carried Away, between Jeff's scream, then Nels' soloing over that second chord

The strings/and oooh's in the chorus of Nothing'sever, plus the backup vocals. Gives the song a really magical feel.

"PICK UUUUP" in BBN

This my 3rd post in this thread, I keep hearing more of these moments every day.

The whole chord progression of Pick Up The Change, and immaculate lead guitar after the choruses.

I grew up listening to country, and have since become disillusioned with the new crappy "country" coming out, though my parents still love it. Wilco taps into, for me, the days of my Dad's youth when country meant something, and adds just enough rock to make it musically satisfying for me. To me, listening to Being There and A.M. are equally as profound as the YHF-AGIB era, for nostalgic reasons.

In summary, Wilco is incredible.

The whole chord progression of Pick Up The Change, and immaculate lead guitar after the choruses.

I grew up listening to country, and have since become disillusioned with the new crappy "country" coming out, though my parents still love it. Wilco taps into, for me, the days of my Dad's youth when country meant something, and adds just enough rock to make it musically satisfying for me. To me, listening to Being There and A.M. are equally as profound as the YHF-AGIB era, for nostalgic reasons.

In summary, Wilco is incredible.

Yes to "Pick up the Change." Have always loved that. And yes to the AM-BT phase. For me personally, aside from KT and ST (the first two records that I had), the AM/BT combo is what really hooked me. Especially BT.

Slightly off-topic, OK way off-topic: in "Blasting Fonda" the lines "in days of olden, silence is golden" sound so familiar. Can't put my finger on it. A little help?

I've been in many a men's room stall where there was a quaint little rhyme that began "in days of old, when knights were bold...". And then goes rapidly downhill. I hope that's not your association. Or doesn't become one now....

Yes to "Pick up the Change." Have always loved that. And yes to the AM-BT phase. For me personally, aside from KT and ST (the first two records that I had), the AM/BT combo is what really hooked me. Especially BT.

I love how I can get so into AM/BT.

For me, AGIB is SUCH a dense record that I can't listen to it 100% of the time like I can SBS or ST or AM. BT is the same way, though I can always jam Monday or Outtasite or Say You Miss Me.

SPEAKING OF SAY YOU MISS ME, the "woo-hoo-oo!" backing vocals.

I love how I can get so into AM/BT.

For me, AGIB is SUCH a dense record that I can't listen to it 100% of the time like I can SBS or ST or AM. BT is the same way, though I can always jam Monday or Outtasite or Say You Miss Me.

SPEAKING OF SAY YOU MISS ME, the "woo-hoo-oo!" backing vocals.

i was just gonna post that same thing about 'say you miss me',..love that part. love the song, also its my ringtone :lol

i was just gonna post that same thing about 'say you miss me',..love that part. love the song, also its my ringtone :lol

Awesome! Being There has terrific background vocal arrangements all over it. "Someday Soon," "Forget the Flowers," "What's the World Got in Store." Very well done on all accounts.

- First time I saw them, Jeff took his hat off and held it over his heart as he sang 'I'll side with you, if you side with me"...

- Both tempo changes in You are My Face

- Varying harmonies on the first syllalbes to verse lines in ELT "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII should have been listing, to EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvery word you said"

- "It was even like we made a ripple"

- Remember the Mountain Bed live, when Nels swells the slide chord in the extra bars in the middle of the last line (Get it?)

So, so many lovely, killer moments in these songs. The one the sticks out to me right now is the end of Hell Is Chrome, when John joins in on the "come with me"s. I dare you not to sing along with that (though my backup, backup vocals often break up).

ooooooh i love that one. when i'm in the car i can never decide which harmony part to sing. the blend of jeff, john and pat's voices there are just tremendous.