Your Favorite Nuances/Parts of Wilco Songs

- the call & response vocal in "Sunken Treasure" (have to listen closely to hear it - Jeff's voice, drenched in reverb, calling out lines before he sings them)

When Jeff joins in on the last set of "do, do-do-do, do-do-do's" in "Hotel Arizona" (just before, "Hello, can you hear me?")

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn's snare work during the second verse of Everlasting Everything (starting with "Every wave..."). I'm not a huge fan of the song as a whole, but when I listen to W(ta), that snare work grabs me without fail. There are a lot of beautiful things happening musically in that song.

The way that Everlasting, Everything just disappears into thin air at the end of the song. The guitar squiggles are epic.

In At Least That's What You Said, the first time that all the instruments hit together in that strict rhythm pattern.

The transition from Spiders (Kidsmoke) into Muzzle of Bees on A Ghost Is Born.

All the little nuances of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - from the part when I'm The Man Who Loves You comes in over the end of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart to the entire wash of feedback at the end of Reservations.

When the middle section of You Are My Face Kicks in and - "all of my maps have been overthrown"

Dash 7 - all of it. I love it. I'm considering it one big nuance since it rarely gets any love.

In Hotel Arizona - "Last One" heard as the band brings the rockin' to a head.

Also in Hotel Arizona, the line "Hello, that's all there is... that's all there is"

The way the feedback-ey guitar in the album version of Via Chicago sounds so far away from the rest of the song.

There is a particular moment in the piano solo on "How To Fight Loneliness" - right at the Em / A progression - that has always struck as so beautiful. A tiny little riff on the melody that is just gorgeous.

The first chord punch of the end solo of ALTWYS. Rock on.

The 'noise' section to quiet section transition in "Via Chicago"

"I am so....Out of Tune.... With you" from ST: LitPNW

the way jeff sings 'deep in my heart' on far far away,..especially the word 'heart'

when the full band and harmonies comes in after the banjo on 'whats the world got in store'

:thumbup

When Jeff joins in on the last set of "do, do-do-do, do-do-do's" in "Hotel Arizona" (just before, "Hello, can you hear me?")

:cheers

There is a particular moment in the piano solo on "How To Fight Loneliness" - right at the Em / A progression - that has always struck as so beautiful. A tiny little riff on the melody that is just gorgeous.

"I am so....Out of Tune.... With you" from ST: LitPNW

I love the whole piano solo in "How to Fight Loneliness." It's absolutely beautiful. And in "Sunken Treasure" on Live in the Pacific Northwest, I also love the chord Jeff strums right when he sings this line. Simply incredible.

"your ticket you obtaaaaain" in Feed of man.

"one by one to one by one forever be", and then the outro music

airline to heaven?

Ha, yes. I always picture some version of the opera star from that Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I want to say that it's just a synth effect...or maybe it was Ken Coomer's sole vocal appearance on a Wilco record.

- the call & response vocal in "Sunken Treasure" (have to listen closely to hear it - Jeff's voice, drenched in reverb, calling out lines before he sings them)

God I love that about Sunken Treasure on the album. Jeff should work that into the version they do now. Also, I like when Ken's drums fall out of rhythm, then they come back in time with the band in Via Chicago. It serves the lyrics and song well.

- Mike's intro to Theologians

- Jeff screaming "No one's ever gonna take my life from me"

yes!

the way jeff sings 'deep in my heart' on far far away,..especially the word 'heart'

One of the best moments on BT and a large part of why I like the song so much. Weird ain't it.

When the middle section of You Are My Face Kicks in and - "all of my maps have been overthrownn

This is one of the great moments on SBS, I just want to leap into the air with joy every time I hear it.

When Jeff's voice sings "I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight...on a bed...of california stars" in a higher note for the first time.

The intro to "I'm The Man Who Loves You" is one of their best.

The transition between Poor Places and Reservations is hands down the greatest one in their catalog.

The bassline in Handshake drugs.

The outro of "Less Than You Think" (am I gonna get flack for this?)

airline to heaven?

I want to say that it's just a synth effect...or maybe it was Ken Coomer's sole vocal appearance on a Wilco record.

woops, yep Airline it is. on the other hand, i love the way Jeff spits out those lyrics in the last verse of Feed of man :thumbup

"ok alright, ok alright!"- I think someone else said that already but it's worth mentioning again...Love it!

The 3 min, 5 second (or so) mark in Theolgians (live)...that yummy little shift in the drum beat makes me smile every time

"By the bed, by the light..."- Love the way Jeff's voice comes in on that line on Far, Far Away

"I check the mail" when they do Hate it Here live. Love Jeff's falsetto there

I know there are many more...time to go listen and recall I guess!!

And after the Ummmm -- Glenn's drum solo.

At the end of Hummingbird -- there's an interplay between what I always think of as sounding like a kazoo and strings. As the song ends, the kazoo fades out, leaving a totally pure and beautiful note on the strings. Wonderful.

The 3 min, 5 second (or so) mark in Theolgians (live)...that yummy little shift in the drum beat makes me smile every time

"By the bed, by the light..."- Love the way Jeff's voice comes in on that line on Far, Far Away

Yes to "Theologians." Love the slight shift in rhythm - excellent stickwork from Glenn. And all of the lyrical mentions of "Far, Far Away." That was one of the very first Wilco songs I fell in love with, for this reason and all the others listed in this thread.

And after the Ummmm -- Glenn's drum solo.

At the end of Hummingbird -- there's an interplay between what I always think of as sounding like a kazoo and strings. As the song ends, the kazoo fades out, leaving a totally pure and beautiful note on the strings. Wonderful.

I mentioned this earlier and think we're talking about the same thing. To me it sounds like (at least I've always thought it was) a fuzzed-out guitar. It definitely has a higher-pitched, buzzing quality to it that does sound like a kazoo.

Question: do people like the original instrumental coda of "Muzzle of Bees," including the very last sliding chord, better on record or as done by Nels live now?