During the first period intermission of the Wings/Sharks game, they announced that long time voice of the Tigers Ernie Harwell passed away. He had been battling cancer the past few months, so this is not suprising. It still sucks though. To countless Michigan residents, he will always be the voice that meant that Winter was over and nice weather and the Tigers were coming.

During the first period intermission of the Wings/Sharks game, they announced that long time voice of the Tigers Ernie Harwell passed away. He had been battling cancer the past few months, so this is not suprising. It still sucks though. To countless Michigan residents, he will always be the voice that meant that Winter was over and nice weather and the Tigers were coming.

Yeah, the Freep obit turned up on my Google Reader a few minutes ago. He was ancient, and really sick, but this still makes me really sad. I was glad to read that Lulu was by his side when he passed. A true legend.

I grew up in Michigan but was never a Tigers fan (my family has Chicago ties and I was, and still am, loyal to the White Sox). Even so, listening to Harwell was always a pleasure. When the Sox were playing the Tigers in the '70s, it was a difficult choice whether to listen to Harry Caray or Ernie Harwell. We usually opted for Caray, merely because he was our Sox announcer, but if Harry was too drunk or otherwise annoying (which happened fairly often, even in those days) we'd switch over to Harwell, and even though it was the "enemy" broadcast, I must confess that I preferred listening to him.

RIP, Ernie.

Bob Costas did a really nice interview (per usual) with Harwell recently that aired on the MLB network. I couldn't find video of the entire thing but here are some excerpts:

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3740:costa-interview-with-ernie-harwell-qi-think-this-will-be-my-last-world-series-i-thinkq&catid=48:ei-mlb-network&Itemid=82.

Joe Castiglione (Red Sox radio voice) had some nice memories to share during last night's game, including Ernie asking Joe to introduce him to Pedro Martinez. Said Ernie was excited like a kid to meet him.

This is such a bummer. Ernie Harwell reminds me of being a kid and hanging out with my dad while he listened to baseball on the radio.

Substitute Grandma for Dad, and I could have written the very same comment.

My favorite memory of Ernie is how he always knew the hometown of every fan that caught a foul ball in Tiger Stadium - "Foul ball down the right field line . . . caught by a young man from Wixom."