Dude, I had the same thing goin on the first couple of time I heard them but that dude can't sing, at all. And the band is good, it's just that someone out there already does everything they do and better. I know that is a cold ass opinion, but I just was trying to hard to find a new band when I thought I liked them. Might want to see if you got a case of the same thing.

Ha, that's great.

I am desperately trying to find some new music. I feel like I haven't listened to anything but MMJ, Pearl Jam, The National, Gaslight Anthem & Drive-by truckers for the last six months and I'm really getting burned out.

Have you checked out Delta Spirit? From what you listed I think you might really like them

And just in case you haven't heard of them or checked them out yet, for the love of god check out Frightened Rabbit if you haven't yet. They fucking rock.

The song The Modern Leper is pretty popular and for damn good reason as it is one of the very best Frightened Rabbit songs. But seriously, don't sleep on Delta Spirit. The XX are pretty damn good too if you want something chill.

while i do like the latest Frightened Rabbit album, i much prefer their previous two, especially 'Midnight Organ Fight'

Delta Spirit's new album is pretty sweet, but a lot mellower than the first

while i do like the latest Frightened Rabbit album, i much prefer their previous two, especially 'Midnight Organ Fight'

Delta Spirit's new album is pretty sweet, but a lot mellower than the first

I haven't had a chance to hear the new one yet but I can't wait. I can't believe more people aren't on that band.

I haven't had a chance to hear the new one yet but I can't wait. I can't believe more people aren't on that band.

the first album had a few really great songs, but their real strength is live, they kick major ass

the first album had a few really great songs, but their real strength is live, they kick major ass

Awesome man! Thanks for the knowledge!

Well in defense of lucero, a band I've liked for close to ten years. See them live for certain, then get "Tennessee" and the new album "1372 overton park" has lots of Memphis session players, full horns, the works, a very early 70's stonesy feel to it. But really go see them live and if you don't appreciate the hell out of them afterwards then stop and don't pass go, but I think you will.

Really, they haven't put out a bad album: they're all solid. And I agree with the see them live comments because they're great live. My favorites in order:

That Much further West

Tennesse

1372 Overton Park

Nobody's Darling

Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Lucero

The Attic Tapes

Really, they haven't put out a bad album: they're all solid. And I agree with the see them live comments because they're great live. My favorites in order:

That Much further West

Tennesse

1372 Overton Park

Nobody's Darling

Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Lucero

The Attic Tapes

Can't do a whole lot of arguing with that list. I absolutely love the new one but don't necessarily think it's the place to start. Oh, and the guy can sing... not everyone's bag, but he can sing.

His voice is a breaking point for a lot of people. He said a few months back that his heavy smoking really put a strain on his vocals. He said that his doctors have given him a choice: stop smoking or stop singing. He said that his docs told him that if he didn't quit and quit smoking soon, that he wouldn't be able sing anymore.

His voice is a breaking point for a lot of people. He said a few months back that his heavy smoking really put a strain on his vocals. He said that his doctors have given him a choice: stop smoking or stop singing. He said that his docs told him that if he didn't quit and quit smoking soon, that he wouldn't be able sing anymore.

Blake Swarzenbach of the famed california punk band Jawbreaker (who Lucero cover) had a similar verdict in the mid-90's. He had surgery to rectify the matter and what do you know everyone hated his voice afterwards. A lot of Blake's charm was his gravelly, smoke stained voice, when it cleared up, it happened to coincide with the band's major label debut, so everyone thought it was an attempt at reaching a wider audience, when in reality it was a necesary move. I love Ben's voice and I hope he makes the same decision and has a long and productive career. Lucero is about as throwback a band as there is, the literally tour more than any band I can think of. They used to play in Richmond more often than the local bands, and that's just one city. I'd recommend their tour documentary to the person earlier in the thread inquirng, like the Wilco movie for a minor league band with big league aspirations, good stuff.

Lucero is probably my favorite band out there right now. Great live shows, really cool guys too.

Nobody's Darlings was my first introduction to the band, so I'm inclined to recommend that as the place to start. For me, it seems like that was the first album of theirs that really captured the band's true essence. Their latest, 1372 Overton Park, is just magnificent - Memphis style all the way.

• 8 months later...

I came SO close to buying the new-ish record today. Should have picked it up. Anyway, if you have to get only one, get 'Tennessee.' I think its by far their best record. 'That Much Further West' rules too.

That new song is good. Do they have a new one coming out soon?

I recall reading somewhere (although I can't find the link) that Ben was planning on writing over the break that they just had & were hoping to record something this summer. They're back out on the road with Social Distortion for the next couple of months and just signed on for the Vans Warped tour this summer... so I'm not sure if that means they're going to try to record in the spring or if it'll wait until fall.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good interview w/ Ben here

http://twangville.co...-to-twangville/

re: their next album:

Last question. So when does Lucero go back into the studio?

Hopefully next spring. We are doing more Social Distortion dates on the west coast in January and February. So then maybe, we’ve got a few months- March-April-May, that will be the time to go the studio. So hopefully over the Christmas time I can actually sit down and write some stuff and be prepared to go into the studio in April or something. And if we do that, we should be able to release something by next Fall. So that’s the tentative plan.

Whenever I’m talking to an artist/musician I mentally add three months to whatever date they are tentatively talking about for their next release.

Right, right. So hopefully next fall, but it might get pushed to 2012. Oh my god, that just sounds so far away. We’ll get something out next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Blake Swarzenbach of the famed california punk band Jawbreaker (who Lucero cover) had a similar verdict in the mid-90's. He had surgery to rectify the matter and what do you know everyone hated his voice afterwards. A lot of Blake's charm was his gravelly, smoke stained voice, when it cleared up, it happened to coincide with the band's major label debut, so everyone thought it was an attempt at reaching a wider audience, when in reality it was a necesary move.

If you haven't already, check out his new band Forgetters. They have a four song EP available on itunes which is very lo-fi but has outstanding songs. Kind of like Unfun but a little more mature.