The Roots & Monsters of Folk

http://pitchfork.com...as-dear-god-20/

"Dear God" was a slow-burning highlight from the self-titled 2009 LP from Monsters of Folk (aka Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, M. Ward, and Mike Mogis). "Dear God 2.0" is a slow-burning remake of the track by the Roots that will be included on their forthcoming LP, How I Got Over. James' lofty vocals are consistent but the beat is overhauled and a couple characteristically wary verses from Roots rapper Black Thought are added. According to a press release, Oberst, Mogis, and Ward also contributed to the revamp.

I can't listen right now, and I'm scared. Has anyone heard this?

Of The Roots effing up the MOF, or vice versa?

I might be in the minority, but I really didn't like the MOF album. Every few months I go back to it, thinking I'll like it better, and I don't. I do think the Roots took a mediocre song and made it better. I wouldn't go buy the album because of it, but it works better than I thought it would.

Heh. I am not sure I approve of musicians I like having anything to do with that Oberst fellow.

blasphemy

I don't know about blasphemy, but it might be time to get over the first impressions of Oberst. I didn't like him or his antics when he was with Bright Eyes, but his solo stuff is great and the best work on MOF is his. Oberst has matured, especially musically, and I know some feel he has been trying to imitate Dylan; but didn't Dylan also imitate a legend and act like an ass when he was a young artist? I think, like Dylan, Oberst has found his own voice and should definately be taken more seriously as a top-notch songwriter. Because he is one.

Sorry, man. I vaguely disliked him until I saw him open for Wilco last summer. Then I very clearly disliked him.

definitely better than the original version...

Finally got a chance to listen, and I agree. Black Thought's always been one of my favorite rappers, and he seems like he has a lot of pent up frustration that he's getting out. How I Got Over should be pretty good.

i like a few Bright Eyes records a LOT, but Conor's songs on MOF don't do a thing for me really (Man Named Truth has especially awful lyrics)

that whole MOF album was insanely disappointing considering the artists involved, but i dug a few of Matt's songs a lot.

Conor is somehow able to capture the fancy of beautiful young women. At the Oakland MoF show, Mr Oberst certainly got a lot of attention. I mean girls were almost in tears! If you're not at least able to discuss his career, you may find one day that you wish you were a little more familiar with his material! :lol

i like a few Bright Eyes records a LOT, but Conor's songs on MOF don't do a thing for me really (Man Named Truth has especially awful lyrics)

that whole MOF album was insanely disappointing considering the artists involved, but i dug a few of Matt's songs a lot.

It really was the Travelling Wilburys of our era. I enjoyed their concert, but overall I appreciate all of them individually more than collectively. They seem to have more passion in their individual careers.

I understand a lot of the disdain for Conor but at the same time I think some of his songs are amazingly good, Breezy would be the most recent song I could think of that's incredible.

Honest, I can get laid without having to listen to Conor Oberst.

But not by me, and that sort of defeats the purpose.

Touché!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, this is really good, this track.