R.I.P Dennis Hopper (1936-2010)

:ohwell

CUVEF00Z.jpg

R.I.P., Dennis Hopper

May 29, 2010 |

Dennis Hopper died Saturday morning in Southern California at the age of 74. Hopper, who had been suffering from prostate cancer for some time, was of course a screen legend who had roles in numerous films including "Rebel Without a Cause," "Apocalypse Now" and "Blue Velvet," and of course also directed, co-wrote and co-starred in the generation-defining "Easy Rider."

He'll also be heard on the big screen one more time, as he appears as one of the lead voices in Lionsgate's animated "Alpha and Omega," which comes out on September 17.

We were reminded of all of those roles, as well as his appearance receiving his star on the the Hollywood Walk of Fame, when we heard of his death. "Everything I learned in my life, I learned from you," he told the assembled group of family and friends as he received the honor. Here's The Times' obituary of Hopper's rich and at times complicated life, and, below, The Times' video of the Walk of Fame ceremony.

Photojournalist: What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a kind man? That he was a wise man? That he had plans, man? That he had wisdom? Bullshit, man!

(I was just reading Shakey again earlier - the part about Dennis on the set of Human Highway.)

(I was just reading Shakey again earlier - the part about Dennis on the set of Human Highway.)

YES! good stuff there. sad to hear this. love Easy Rider. looked like david crosby.

YES! good stuff there. sad to hear this. love Easy Rider. looked like david crosby.

Supposedly, Peter and Dennis based their characters on Roger Mcguinn and David Crosby.

I think Rebel Without A Cause was his first film.

This will give a subdued note to the day for me. I always loved him in movies. He was a guy that always lit up the screen for me, really grabbed my attention.

That sucks - was a great actor. At least Hopper made it back into films after all his issues - hell it's great that he lived that long. His role in Apocalypse Now has always been one of favorite roles by any actor.

Blue Velvet was (and probably still is) the most rented film in the history of the Video Fan in Richmond, VA. The Video Fan is the last great independent movie store in Richmond and they always kept a top ten list of all time on the counter and Blue Velvet was #1 from the time I moved there in '96 until last year when I moved. What a twisted fuck he is in that role, also "Out of the Blue."

forgot all about the standoff with him and christopher walken in true romance, that was brilliance on both sides.

Do you remember Kid Blue (1973)?

No, but I did see the super-dreadful "Flashback". I do recall seeing "The Last Movie" but then again I could have been having a flashback. I am pretty sure I saw it on videotape, but I may have caught it at the Art Institute film center or something.

LouieB

No, but I did see the super-dreadful "Flashback". I do recall seeing "The Last Movie" but then again I could have been having a flashback. I am pretty sure I saw it on videotape, but I may have caught it at the Art Institute film center or something.

LouieB

That's right - we have mentioned that movie before around here.

King of the Mountain (1981) - another one that a lot of people may not know about.

LouieB

I liked Flashback. It was cheesy, though.

I hated Flashback, but Hopper delivered one of the most memorable (to me) lines ever* in that: "Once we get out of the 80s, the 90s are gonna make the 60s look like the 50s!"

*even though it turned out to be incredibly untrue