As the title says...where has David Bowie gone? What's he doing? Are there any Bowie fans out there with any idea of his possible return (studio or live). I liked his nineties output alot and hope he hasn't retired for good.

Black Tie/White Noise, Buddha of Suburbia and Outside are all great records.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the internet! There must be pictures of him taking a dump at a truck stop.

Actually, it does look like there is a gap of pictures between October 2009 and June 2010, but he has been out at a couple of events in June

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=David%20Bowie&assetType=image#

Bowie's face is finally starting to age. He still appears to be in top physical shape, though.

I heard he had been ill, or had some sort of highly treatable cancer a couple years ago, but I can't confirm that.

I'd love for him to do another rock album. He's one of my all time favorites.

Bowie's face is finally starting to age. He still appears to be in top physical shape, though.

I heard he had been ill, or had some sort of highly treatable cancer a couple years ago, but I can't confirm that.

I'd love for him to do another rock album. He's one of my all time favorites.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember hearing something about a stroke and his wanting to spend time with his family.

On a Bowie related issue I picked up the Soundtrack to 'The Life Aquatic' the other day which is basically a dozen classic Bowie tracks perfroms, in Portugese, by the singer Seu Jorge. Its great.

He is pretty pretty cool...but cooler than Jimmy Page or Neil Young

Page and Young are legends...but Bowie is way cooler. I suppose we need to define 'Cool' before we can say for sure though.

Bowie certainly looks cooler than Neil Young who just looks like a haggered old farmer these days. Check out Bowie on his most recent live DVD, Reality Tour (2004!). If I looked that cool in my late fifties I'd be happy.

However, the real of course answer is: Tom Waits is the coolest man in the universe.

The upside of that video is it launched the career of the costume designer for The Golden Girls.

:lol Excellent.

I don't think much thought went into it - recorded and filmed the days leading up to Live Aid, specifically for that event, I believe.

I like how Jagger takes a hit off his soda can while dancing.

I miss Bowie a lot and wish he'd come out with new material. I'm a huge fan and have heard nothing at all of any stroke or illness. I think he's fine but just laying low. He'll be back! "Reality" and that tour were fantastic.

I was thinking he had a heart attack. Funny that the guy retired twice very publicly (albeit, once as Ziggy) and now seems to have retired for real without any hoopla. The man did some great stuff, he was really my gateway into a world of strange music. Whatever he's doing I hope he's enjoying life (slightly) removed from the public view.

BowieinSohoIC1izH29HPol.jpg

Recent photo, taken in NYC.

David Bowie is spending his Golden Years in anonymity.

The 63-year-old rock icon last released a new album in 2003, and stopped touring in 2004 after suffering a heart attack during a European trek. The early Internet enthusiast has not even updated his official blog since October 2006, when he proudly revealed he would voice a character on the kids cartoon show "SpongeBob SquarePants."

Last year, he attended a few red-carpet events to help promote his son Duncan Jones' movie "Moon." But otherwise the musical chameleon seems to be savoring his latest metamorphosis into married father of a 9-year-old daughter in New York.

"He's just being Dad, I think, laying low," said bass player Gail Ann Dorsey, who started working with Bowie almost 15 years ago. "I can't imagine he's not writing or doing something, but we'll just have to wait and see."

Dorsey said she e-mailed him a birthday greeting in January, but resisted the temptation to ask if he was working on any projects.

"I never pry into an artist's life, or process either," Dorsey said. "I don't write to him and go, 'What are you doing?' Or call and go, 'Why aren't you playing?' You let people be and you see where it falls."

Bowie biographer Marc Spitz is slowly losing hope that the singer will make a comeback, even as peers such as Lou Reed and Iggy Pop keep recording and touring.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6205NL20100301

Maybe it is better he just fades away. He continues to garner new fans with each passing year, all the while doing nothing but reissuing old material.

Actually I can't believe the guy is only 3 years older than I am. Yikes.

LouieB

Maybe it is better he just fades away. He continues to garner new fans with each passing year, all the while doing nothing but reissuing old material.

That's just fuddy-duddy talk. His output is always interesting. If he is indeed 'fading away', it's good to hear it's on his terms, doing what he wants to do.