2010 is first year without a Chicago show

Reading the latest HQ email. It sunk in. This is the first year Wilco hasn't played Chicago Jan 1 - Dec 31 in their career.

That is a bummer. I wonder if they felt burned by the poor attendence at UIC night 2.

Que the "Chicago can't complain" "but all solo Wilcos played in 2010" "South Bend isn't that far" "they played in Oct of '09" emails

Guest Speed Racer

Um, well, didn't Chicago get lots of solo shows? Chicago is closer to South Bend than it is most so-called "suburbs" of Chicago in Illinois.

I get what you're saying, hometown band, etc., but is it *really* that bad that folks outside of Chicago's hometown finally got a lot of attention this year?

Guest Speed Racer

In 2010:

Wilco played Japan

Wilco played Australia

Wilco played Eastern Europe, UK, other parts of Europe

Wilco played 11 shows in Canada

Wilco played its first shows (2!!) in NJ in three years

Wilco played its first shows in FL in two years

Wilco played its first show in NH in a decade, first show in RI in four years

and did a quaint little tour of Pennsylvania

And I am 100% they did all of that just to spite Chicago for not filling up a 10,000 person pavillion.

Or maybe, um, they are making an effort to reach the other 99.9% of the world?

I think this is the year they have tried to get out to the rest of the world (not that they didn't do that before..)

Actually I am still worn out from the residency.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

Um, yeah. You might want to look at a map.

:blush

My only experiences going thataway were on Saturday mornings in the summer. Going to Waukegan, Joliet, Palatine, Crystal Lake or any other faraway suburbs took at least an hour and a half, two hours - not much different than a trip to South Bend. In Chicago especially, I measure(d) proximity in transit time, not miles. And looked much more favorably on experiences where the speedometer broke 30.

Um, well, didn't Chicago get lots of solo shows? Chicago is closer to South Bend than it is most so-called "suburbs" of Chicago in Illinois.

I get what you're saying, hometown band, etc., but is it *really* that bad that folks outside of Chicago's hometown finally got a lot of attention this year?

No, it isn't bad that folks outside of Chiago got attention this year. I think it is funny that you used the solo and SB statements.

Um, yeah. You might want to look at a map.

Uh yea...really. However you could take the South Shore Line to South Bend if you wanted to commute a really really long way.

LouieB

Uh yea...really. However you could take the South Shore Line to South Bend if you wanted to commute a really really long way.

I've taken that train several times. It's pretty cool, actually.

I've taken that train several times. It's pretty cool, actually.

I think it is one of those things I need to do someday when I retire. It has always looked pretty cool to me, but not something I have done.

LouieB

I'll bet they'll get sick of recording and play a Chicago show. Probably right after they get an amazing album in the can and decide to scrap it.

Yea, maybe they will busk just outside of Millenium Park on Michigan Ave right next to one of the bucket boy groups.

LouieB

That'd probably do them some good.

Yea, some of those bucket boys have some genuine talent and could use a high profile producer....mixed in with a high clase drone or a world class percussionist..you never know.....

LouieB

Wilco played their first show in Richmond in 13 years this year!

MMJ just announced a show here in Louisville, their hometown, it will be their first in over 2 years. To me this is close to a non-story, but then again I'm commenting on it.