Neil Young's Lost 70's albums

straight from the horse's mouth:

ARCHIVES TEAM WORKS HARD ON VOLUME 2

July 23, 2010

The NYA team, headed by Will Mitchell and Hannah Johnson, is digging through material supplied by numerous sources, including newspapers, writers, fans, bootleg audio collectors and photographers (special thanks to photographer/collector Joel Bernstein). Much work has been done and there is much left to do. Using the template designed by the late Larry Johnson, the whole team is pushing forward.

Special thanks to audio engineers John Nowland, Tim Mulligan and the team at Redwood Digital for the unbelievable amount of work that has been accomplished so far. Volume 2 promises even more content than Volume 1, with many unreleased tracks.

Four unreleased albums from this period are being rebuilt and will be available in the NYA Special Release Series. Chrome Dreams, Homegrown and Oceanside-Countryside are the three unreleased studio albums. Also from this period is the unreleased Odeon-Budokan live recording produced by David Briggs and Tim Mulligan. These albums initially will be released in vinyl from analog masters as they originally were created for that format. So now is the time to get your new phonograph player. The new players, built with today's technology, are exceptionally good.

NYTIMES

Has anyone ever heard any of this stuff? My fear is that Neil originally blocked its release because the records were sub-par. I hope that isn't the case, though.

Chrome Dreams is awesome. There is an acoustic version of Powderfinger that is so good it hurts.

Has anyone ever heard any of this stuff? My fear is that Neil originally blocked its release because the records were sub-par. I hope that isn't the case, though.

i've found both Chrome Dreams and Homegrown from some various internet sources. both had songs that popped up on official releases. haven't heard the other two.

i've got an LP of Time Fades Away but it's funny how Neil still shies away from that one...i wonder way, it's great.

Chrome Dreams is awesome. There is an acoustic version of Powderfinger that is so good it hurts.

Powderfinger! Count me in. I love that song.

i've found both Chrome Dreams and Homegrown from some various internet sources. both had songs that popped up on official releases. haven't heard the other two.

Chrome Dreams is available (well, perhaps - we'll have to wait and see what the actual version sounds like in comparison), but I am pretty positive you haven't got Homegrown. you can get versions of those songs recorded again for other albums or live, and a few originals crop up on Decade, American Stars N Bars, and Hawks and Doves (although they could just as easily not be the same takes as the masters), but there's stuff that not even available at all.

I hope Homefires is on the album, and Love/Art Blues - they're 2 that have only been played live, and I'd love studio versions. Actually, I think whatever appears on these albums is going to be amazing. "Oceanside-Countryside" could be interesting, never even heard of that - unless it's a renamed "Human Highway" (which i think was an aborted album in the early 70s - which had versions of some songs that made it onto Tonight's The Night) or some other project entirely.

Chrome Dreams is possible his best album. If it would've come out when it was supposed to, it wouldve ruined several albums that followed. Most of the songs are completely different recordings, or were changed drastically for their official release. This is the supposed track list:

Side one

"Pocahontas" – 3:24

"Will to Love" – 7:11

"Star of Bethlehem" – 2:42

"Like a Hurricane" – 8:14

"Too Far Gone" – 2:41

[edit]Side two

"Hold Back the Tears" – 5:16

"Homegrown" – 2:20

"Captain Kennedy" – 2:55

"Stringman" – 3:32

"Sedan Delivery" – 5:22

"Powderfinger" – 3:23

"Look Out for My Love" – 4:06

this is a link to a torrent of this: http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Neil-Young-Chrome-Dreams-1977-FLAC/4032ae8576847cf89bfcbcac882737ddcf260287cf4a

An acetate in very good condition leaked in the late 90s. An acetate is made after they have made a master tape (compilation tape of the songs in the right order so the album can be played) so that the artist and other people can listen to the album. If they like it, then the record pressing stages start. This means that the version of chrome dreams that exists is from far along in the process, and although neil has been known to make changes to stuff at all times, is probably at least very close to what will be coming out.

Homegrown has never had an official track listing of any kind. There are around 25 songs that have been rumored to be on it, but at this point only Neil's inner circle really knows what songs were supposed to be on Homegrown.

There is no telling what Oceanside-Countryside is. It probably has some of the songs that have been talked about from homegrown. There are Crazy Horse songs from the era such as River of Pride, Country Home, and several others. Also, Comes a Time was originally much more sparse so it may have some of those songs.

It almost sounds like it would be a double record, with half Zuma-esque crazy horse and half country stuff. Zuma was recorded in a beach house on Zuma beach in CA.

I'm so freaking excited for all of this. It will be wonderful to get to drop my needle on Chrome Dreams for the first time!

oceanside/countryside is the initial version of what became Comes A Time. it's supposed to be all acoustic and a single record (with two sides, of course:). Human Highway was an aborted csny album from 76.

this is great news. i'm wondering where toast is thought. was looking forward to that. also, it's classic neil to put something out in vinyl before any other format. especially when its one of the albums his fans have been clamoring for for decades...homegrown.

i've got an LP of Time Fades Away but it's funny how Neil still shies away from that one...i wonder way, it's great.

I have a bootleg copy of Chrome Dreams that sounds like it was dubbed off a third generation cassette...but it is a wonderful piece of work.

As for Time Fades Away , apparently Neil has some very unpleasant memories about that tour and there is apparently some issue with the master tapes or lack thereof.

Homegrown has never had an official track listing of any kind. There are around 25 songs that have been rumored to be on it, but at this point only Neil's inner circle really knows what songs were supposed to be on Homegrown.

There is no telling what Oceanside-Countryside is.

I'm so freaking excited for all of this. It will be wonderful to get to drop my needle on Chrome Dreams for the first time!

I'm kind of hoping the Oceanside-Countryside record might be some of the stuff he did with the Ducks.

I'm kind of hoping the Oceanside-Countryside record might be some of the stuff he did with the Ducks.

that would be interesting. however, my hunch is that there will just be some ducks tracks on the archives vol. 2. O-C is supposed to be all acoustic. neil turned it into the reprise and they encouraged him to flesh it out with more production...so the story goes. as far as TFA goes, TFA II is supposed to be on vol. 2 per neil. it will be released as part of the original release series while homegrown etc. will be part of the special release series that was suppose to start with toast (?). then you have the performance series which has been in full swing and will include the japan crazy horse show mentioned above. this should have early versions of peace of mind and country home as well as an acoustic set. hopefully. interestingly, island sun isn't part of this set of 'special releases' so it's probably not gonna be on vol. 2. this means that vol. 2 probably ends at 1979-80 as trans/island in the sun is 82. the geffen years boxset is gonna be really interesting i think.

Homegrown

1. "Homegrown"

2. "Vacancy"

3. "Homefires"

4. "Try"

5. "Star of Bethlehem"

6. "Little Wing"

7. "The Old Homestead"

8. "Pardon My Heart"

9. "Love Art Blues"

10. "Separate Ways"

11. "Deep Forbidden Lake"

12. "Love is a Rose"

13. "Daughters"

14. "We Don't Smoke It"

15. "White Line"

16. "Give Me Strength"

17. Frozen Man

18. Tie Plate Yodle #3

I'm so excited by this news. As mentioned above this really is the motherlode.

the songs being listed aren't necessarily intended to be on homegrown. It is rumoured there are around 50 songs that were written in the 1974 time frame that homegrown was supposed to be from. An official listing of the tunes has never leaked, so all that we know of is songs that have been played that are from that period. Mcdonough listed some in the shakey book, and that long list of songs has floated around for awhile, but I think all the lists of what homegrown consists of were made by fans with knowledge of the recorded songs from that era.

We wont know until it comes out, but I bet it will be awesome!

the songs being listed aren't necessarily intended to be on homegrown. It is rumoured there are around 50 songs that were written in the 1974 time frame that homegrown was supposed to be from. An official listing of the tunes has never leaked, so all that we know of is songs that have been played that are from that period. Mcdonough listed some in the shakey book, and that long list of songs has floated around for awhile, but I think all the lists of what homegrown consists of were made by fans with knowledge of the recorded songs from that era.

We wont know until it comes out, but I bet it will be awesome!

i think that if they go with what was mastered and presented as the album (if that ever happened) then it'll be quite a boring tracklist - boring in the sense that it'll be all songs most fans would have heard before, and probably released on other albums etc... however, the fact that they say "rebuilt" kind of implies that they might not be so worried about historical accuracy - which should be a good thing, also it could just mean that they are remixing it. hmmmm