I think that "Electic Nebraska" is a no-brainer. The hype on that would likely be even greater than this, though there is likely little to no video footage that exists. I'm sure BITUSA will get some kind of a deluxe treatment someday, though as you said, I don't think there's alot left under that rock. There's certainly still tons of early 70's material yet to be properly released, including a truly haunting song, "The Ballad of the Self-Loading Pistol."

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that "Electic Nebraska" is a no-brainer. The hype on that would likely be even greater than this, though there is likely little to no video footage that exists. I'm sure BITUSA will get some kind of a deluxe treatment someday, though as you said, I don't think there's alot left under that rock. There's certainly still tons of early 70's material yet to be properly released, including a truly haunting song, "The Ballad of the Self-Loading Pistol."

Electic Nebraska isn't really a no-brainer because there is some doubt as to whether these recordings actually exist.

I really thought the early stuff (Laurel Canyon) would have already come out with the warming of relations between Bruce and Mike Appel. I wonder if Bruce had this material pilfered/lost/stolen.

Check out this interview with Max starting at the 3:06 mark for some clarification on the full-band "Nebraska."

"Weinberg did reveal that the rumored full-band recording of Springsteen's 1982 acoustic disc Nebraska does exist. "The E Street Band actually did record all of Nebraska and it was killing," Weinberg says. "It was all very hard-edged. As great as it was, it wasn't what Bruce wanted to release. There is a full band Nebraska album, all of those songs are in the can somewhere."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/113564

Check out this interview with Max starting at the 3:06 mark for some clarification on the full-band "Nebraska."

"Weinberg did reveal that the rumored full-band recording of Springsteen's 1982 acoustic disc Nebraska does exist. "The E Street Band actually did record all of Nebraska and it was killing," Weinberg says. "It was all very hard-edged. As great as it was, it wasn't what Bruce wanted to release. There is a full band Nebraska album, all of those songs are in the can somewhere."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/113564

good to hear...althought I still am not fully convinced. Nothing has ever leaked...EVER. But maybe Bruce kept this closer to the vest than was his wont. Afterall...even THE TIES THAT BIND leaked in the 80's.

The two disk outtakes set leaked today. And, I have to admit, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. It really holds together as a record. Even the new overdubs make perfect sense....except Patti Scialfa's background vocals.

This makes it easier to forgive "Working on a Dream." Let's hope he continues to mine the vaults.

I think even Bruce admitted "WOAD" was a misstep indirectly by only playing 2-3 cuts from it on the tour, wheras "The Rising" and "Magic" both were featured prominently on their respective tours. "Magic" is my favorite by Bruce since BITUSA.

The two disk outtakes set leaked today. And, I have to admit, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. It really holds together as a record. Even the new overdubs make perfect sense....except Patti Scialfa's background vocals.

This makes it easier to forgive "Working on a Dream." Let's hope he continues to mine the vaults.

She's not quite Yoko Onoesque...but she is really a drag with that loose vibrato

Don't really know what I was expecting, but I wasn't really expecting him to give a full band reworking of old songs a la the Devils and Dust work.

Alternately rousing and creepy (hearing a 60 year old man reinterpet his thoughts as a 28 year old kinda creeps me out), ultimatley, this works. If Springsteen hadn't made such a fuss over this stuff being Darkness outtakes it would still stand as powerful work without the hype.

I think even Bruce admitted "WOAD" was a misstep indirectly by only playing 2-3 cuts from it on the tour, wheras "The Rising" and "Magic" both were featured prominently on their respective tours. "Magic" is my favorite by Bruce since BITUSA.

WOAD kind of grew on me. it's got some great pop songs. the wrestler should not have been a bonus track though. if anything, outlaw pete should've been. magic is great. the rising was too long, but damn it had some great songs. i wish he hadn't buried the actual song 'the rising' near the end though. just a great song for the times.

She's not quite Yoko Onoesque...but she is really a drag with that loose vibrato

i really like her when she sings harmony. it's a classic sound of latter day bruce. i can see how folks may not want to hear it on the older stuff. BTW=the stream at NPR sounds great. damn, the remastering is tremendous! please please remaster Greetings!!

WOAD definitely grew on me too (but Queen of The Supermarket is the worst song he has written IMO), Magic to me is probably most cohesive thing Bruce has done since BITUSA, The Rising was great but as said above way too long and had some really awful songs (Skin To Skin ugh), but The Promise songs sound awesome a couple listens in so far. People over at BTX are whining about Bruce's new vocals etc. but I think they're great and it really does hold up as an entire double album unto itself.

Does anyone else hear the ridiculous resemblance of Ain't Good Enough For You to Rebels by Petty (really just the chorus)?

People over at BTX are whining about Bruce's new vocals etc. but I think they're great and it really does hold up as an entire double album unto itself.

People over at BTX are whining that it's Tuesday today.

All the songs were written around the same time for the same record so it makes some sense that they hold up as an album. What I find really remarkable is that Tracks has already been released and he had this much stuff of this calibre in the can.

People over at BTX are whining that it's Tuesday today.

All the songs were written around the same time for the same record so it makes some sense that they hold up as an album. What I find really remarkable is that Tracks has already been released and he had this much stuff of this calibre in the can.

right-these guys love to save stuff so in 50 years we'll see the headline...'rare springsteen tracks found in nuclear fallout shelter as clean up continues from the zombie apocalypse'. neil young and dylan are the same way. i like the way bruce and dylan are releasing their stuff though. we'll get a dylan and springsteen release every few years for eternity which is fine by me:)

And, how good would "The Promise" be if you added "The Iceman" and "Don't Look Back?"

Don't shoot me, but I think I prefer the reworked Tracks take on "The Promise" versus the original version. I just think the song hits harder with the sparse arrangement and middle-aged Bruce's voice. Either way, fucking unbelieavable that this song was an outtake, and furthermore that video footage is just superb!

It's like being a kid on Christmas Eve for Springsteen fans.

BobfromBob had it right...it is absolutely astounding the amount of material that is STILL out there. There are numerous quality outtakes from his days with Laurel Canyon (the publishing Demos...incredible). And even with three two discs concentrating on that period in TRACKS, there are dozens of great outtakes from THE RIVER and BORN IN THE USA sessions. Plus Electric Nebraska. PLUS the Christic shows (professionally recorded). PLUS the material cut with the other band...the rumored 'hip hop' record (not kidding...it is probably representative of the material on the fourth disc of TRACKS)...the fabled Western Swing record.

A prolific artist with a perfectionist streak...

Bruce kept his material in the can (like Neil Young)where Prince releases(d) everything.

I hope he releases every single fucking thing he has in his vaults.

Kid on Christmas Eve..

CDM,

I think based upon what Bruce has said in interviews about how he has learned to relax with his records abit in the past decade,hence his prolific run the past few years, he too will relax with holding onto all of this stuff so closely. I really think the floodgates are going to open in the next few years with all of these treasures. He seems to really relish in the revisiting and exploring his past, he certainly likes talking about it, so I'm with you, just bring it all on already.

It's like being a kid on Christmas Eve for Springsteen fans.

BobfromBob had it right...it is absolutely astounding the amount of material that is STILL out there. There are numerous quality outtakes from his days with Laurel Canyon (the publishing Demos...incredible). And even with three two discs concentrating on that period in TRACKS, there are dozens of great outtakes from THE RIVER and BORN IN THE USA sessions. Plus Electric Nebraska. PLUS the Christic shows (professionally recorded). PLUS the material cut with the other band...the rumored 'hip hop' record (not kidding...it is probably representative of the material on the fourth disc of TRACKS)...the fabled Western Swing record.

A prolific artist with a perfectionist streak...

Bruce kept his material in the can (like Neil Young)where Prince releases(d) everything.

I hope he releases every single fucking thing he has in his vaults.

Kid on Christmas Eve..

he also did a country record during the tom joad sessions, didn't he? is that swing record? charlie rose asked bruce about the promise not being on tracks. bruce knew all along he was gonna release this stuff. so great. as i said earlier, i really can't wait for a remaster of Greetings. that initial pressing is almost unlistenable. same goes for e street shuffle.

he also did a country record during the tom joad sessions, didn't he? is that swing record? charlie rose asked bruce about the promise not being on tracks. bruce knew all along he was gonna release this stuff. so great. as i said earlier, i really can't wait for a remaster of Greetings. that initial pressing is almost unlistenable. same goes for e street shuffle.

Same, what I can't wait for is a remaster of the River, on CD it is so quiet it is ridiculous.

Same, what I can't wait for is a remaster of the River, on CD it is so quiet it is ridiculous.

Bruce has never really had a well produced record. His newer stuff with Brendan O'Brien has its detractors, but it is definitely an improvement over most of his catalogue.

I donno...I grew up with those early Bruce records and they sounded fine to me. I am actually excited about the extra material from Darkness. I had not read much about this until this weekend, when there was a good article in the NY Times on it.

LouieB

Last night I broke out "The Ties That Bind (aka The Power Station), the record that set to roll out in November of 1979 before Bruce decided to edit/enhance/morph it into "The River". This record was a more personal relationship oriented record where "The River" delves more into the internal tension between the need for community and the need to be alone.

"The Ties that Bind" is really a more optimistic, pop oriented record.

1. The Ties that Bind (a different take than appears on "The River" including a vocal variation in the chorus)

2. Cindy (a wistful, pop oriented song of unrequited love that would make a good addition to any re-release)

3. Hungry Heart (the three songs here lay out the relationship theme. This old chestnut sound really nice following the first two tunes)

4. Stolen Car (The 'son you may kiss the bride' version that appears on Tracks. It is really chilling in this setting)

5. To Be True (aka Be True. Appeared as a B side to Fade Away and became a live staple in the '88 tour. It becomes much more thematically relevant and actually becomes somewhat the focus of the record. Interesting how a tune went from being a show case to B side material in Bruceworld)

6. The River (a different take with different vocal mix. Stark and despairing, it really becomes moreso in a more edited album)

7. You Can Look (but you' better not touch) (A rollocking rocakbilly version that puts "the River" Version to shame)

8. The Price You Pay (This song goes from being a bit of an afterthought on "The River" to being a thematic fulcrum of the record. Includes an additional verse. Reportedly a first take)

9. I Wanna Marry You (Guitar a bit more up front in this version. I never really did appreciate this on "The River", it got lost in the shuffle just a bit. Here it really works)

10. Loose Ends (in all its original glory stripped of the 1998 overdubs for Tracks)

Bruce always speaks of the conscious choices he made/makes with his music. Sometimes, I feel he as sacrificed some really good music to make great statements.

There's a lot to be said for an enduring Pop record. "The Ties that Bind" should have been released in November 1979 to be followed by a release in early 1981 of a reworked and retitled "The River". I have played with putting together a compilation of sorts (using leftovers from "The River", outtakes from "Tracks")>

Not to mention the record that almost came out in 1982 (that some refer to as Murder Incorporated).

The next several years could get really interesting for the Tramps.

Last night I broke out "The Ties That Bind (aka The Power Station), the record that set to roll out in November of 1979 before Bruce decided to edit/enhance/morph it into "The River". This record was a more personal relationship oriented record where "The River" delves more into the internal tension between the need for community and the need to be alone.

"The Ties that Bind" is really a more optimistic, pop oriented record.

1. The Ties that Bind (a different take than appears on "The River" including a vocal variation in the chorus)

2. Cindy (a wistful, pop oriented song of unrequited love that would make a good addition to any re-release)

3. Hungry Heart (the three songs here lay out the relationship theme. This old chestnut sound really nice following the first two tunes)

4. Stolen Car (The 'son you may kiss the bride' version that appears on Tracks. It is really chilling in this setting)

5. To Be True (aka Be True. Appeared as a B side to Fade Away and became a live staple in the '88 tour. It becomes much more thematically relevant and actually becomes somewhat the focus of the record. Interesting how a tune went from being a show case to B side material in Bruceworld)

6. The River (a different take with different vocal mix. Stark and despairing, it really becomes moreso in a more edited album)

7. You Can Look (but you' better not touch) (A rollocking rocakbilly version that puts "the River" Version to shame)

8. The Price You Pay (This song goes from being a bit of an afterthought on "The River" to being a thematic fulcrum of the record. Includes an additional verse. Reportedly a first take)

9. I Wanna Marry You (Guitar a bit more up front in this version. I never really did appreciate this on "The River", it got lost in the shuffle just a bit. Here it really works)

10. Loose Ends (in all its original glory stripped of the 1998 overdubs for Tracks)

Bruce always speaks of the conscious choices he made/makes with his music. Sometimes, I feel he as sacrificed some really good music to make great statements.

There's a lot to be said for an enduring Pop record. "The Ties that Bind" should have been released in November 1979 to be followed by a release in early 1981 of a reworked and retitled "The River". I have played with putting together a compilation of sorts (using leftovers from "The River", outtakes from "Tracks")>

Not to mention the record that almost came out in 1982 (that some refer to as Murder Incorporated).

The next several years could get really interesting for the Tramps.

this is fascinating. i love the lost albums. didn't know this about springsteen. is there a good website explaining all of this? anyway, could it be that bruce has issues with just letting his songs stand alone with just the band, or just him and not all the 'stuff'? i think neil young has this problem. of course, i don't know as much about bruce to really have an opinion.