Here ya go A'Man this will get you started, one of my favs from "The Promise":

I have to say these songs don't do much for me. I respect the guy, but you can see he was running through his influences to get to his own sound.

I read years ago that he wanted to do a live series like The Grateful Dead. It looks like that is in the works.

I'd like to see a Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle re-master next.

Lost In The Flood/Spirit in the Night/Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street? are some of my favorite Bruce songs.

Bruce Springsteen - The Promise - Molly Presents: Part 1 of 3 (HQ Audio)

Maybe we'll get some Child/Steel Mill tracks one of these days.

"The Promise" In-studio Clip (NYC 1978) - Bruce Springsteen

It was cool to see that. I can see why he re-recorded it for 18 tracks though. The tempo drags (somewhat) on the one above.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say these songs don't do much for me. I respect the guy, but you can see he was running through his influences to get to his own sound.

I read years ago that he wanted to do a live series like The Grateful Dead. It looks like that is in the works.

I'd like to see a Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle re-master next.

Lost In The Flood/Spirit in the Night/Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street? are some of my favorite Bruce songs.

Bruce Springsteen - The Promise - Molly Presents: Part 1 of 3 (HQ Audio)

"The Promise" In-studio Clip (NYC 1978) - Bruce Springsteen

It was cool to see that. I can see why he re-recorded it for 18 tracks though. The tempo drags (somewhat) on the one above.

Yeah , it has been stated and restated in the doc, in interviews, that the bulk of these songs are genre-based and didn't fit into their own canon. You're spot on about the '98 version of "The Promise," I feel it packs more punch in that tempo. Did you like the alt "Racing in the Street?" I have several friends in their 20's-40's whose fav is the the first album, and I too love the songs you mentioned in particular. I guess I'm just a bit of a junkie, because there is very, very little in the catalog that I don't enjoy heavily, though I agree with you on the latter half of Tracks. Nonetheless it looks/sounds as if the vaults may be totally opened in the coming years. Hopefully that includes some thoughtful remasters.

Where did you read about a "Dick's Picks" style series? This would be so very interesting. There are so many boots available out there. If there would be some origihnal soundboards with professional mastering...oh my god.

The Steelmill stuff is so far from where he ended up. Basically guitar heavy proto-metal.

I would really love to see some well recorded, well mastered shows from 73-74. The TWTITESS tour (if you could call it a tour). The shows from the period with Suki Lahav on Violin and Max and Roy finding their place in the band.

to me it's like any other huge artist. fans who love the 'sound' of bruce are loving this set. i'm a casual fan i've decided. i like more than the top hits, but not everything. the new set has a few great songs to these ears, the promise and racing in the streets. everything just doesn't move me. for the fan though, this is a gold mine. kind of like neil young's archives were supposed to be for me :P

have really been enjoying the respectful thread here.

Where did you read about a "Dick's Picks" style series? This would be so very interesting. There are so many boots available out there. If there would be some origihnal soundboards with professional mastering...oh my god.

The Steelmill stuff is so far from where he ended up. Basically guitar heavy proto-metal.

I would really love to see some well recorded, well mastered shows from 73-74. The TWTITESS tour (if you could call it a tour). The shows from the period with Suki Lahav on Violin and Max and Roy finding their place in the band.

LouisvilleGreg's insider post on the previous page.

I don't know where I first heard about it. It may have been during the time when he was doing press interviews for Tracks.

These things are to be taken with a grain of salt, but supposedly the below is from someone with inside knowledge in the Bruce camp regarding the next year or so worth of projects:

It will be several independently released DVDs, maybe more than 8, maybe less (depending on how good they sell), over the next 4-5 years. Volume 1 is scheduled for release early May 2011 and will be called BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & the E STREET BAND - Live Anthology Volume 1, and will featured never before seen footage from the Born to Run Tour. No complete shows exist on tape, so the 100 min long DVD will contain recordings from several shows. I heard the most is supposed to be from the shows at the Roxy in Los Angeles.

Two more Live Anthology releases are scheduled to come out before christmas 2011. A compilation of material from the Chicken Scratch Tour in August and another full Darkness show in October. Around that time Bruce and the band will hit the road for around 25 shows, reenacting the famous 1978 concerts in North American theaters and other small venues. Several shows will be broadcasted live on the radio, internet and youtube.

Early 2012 will see the release of a multi-disc box-set containing outtakes, alternate versions of know songs and yet unknown compositions, spanning Bruce's entire career. They're not sure about the name yet but I heard that Tracks 2 is a very likely possibility. The interesting thing is, that Bruce and the band will go into the studio in the fall of 2011 to record some new songs that Bruce hasn't even written yet! That's what I call inside information!

Following the release of "Tracks 2" and another couple of "Live Anthology" DVDs, a worldwide european and north american tour will be announced. And don't even ask - I don't have any exact dates yet. And I really don't want to get your hopes up with rumours.

Wow...I guess with the passing of Terry and Danny, Bruce must have realized that time waits for no one.

Wow...I guess with the passing of Terry and Danny, Bruce must have realized that time waits for no one.

I think that he probably gets a lot of enjoyment out of the reaction to these sort of releases and really what's the point in waiting anymore? He's been prolific and very busy the past decade dealing with the here and now, so no surprise to me to have a little downtime and work on some long neglected projects. Also I think that he's gonna take his time and make sure that WOAD isn't repeated. As you said earlier in this thread bring it all on already!

Around that time Bruce and the band will hit the road for around 25 shows, reenacting the famous 1978 concerts in North American theaters and other small venues. Several shows will be broadcasted live on the radio, internet and youtube.

While I would love everything in this post to come true....it's this line that makes me wonder if the (original) poster isn't making it up.... Bruce just basically confirmed on the latest Sirius interview that he'd never play the Prove It All Night 78 into again. Doesn't sound to me like someone who would revisit old concerts.....that and Landau has hinted that the next project could be another Seeger Sessions band.

But, man, I'd kill for small venues.

While I would love everything in this post to come true....it's this line that makes me wonder if the (original) poster isn't making it up.... Bruce just basically confirmed on the latest Sirius interview that he'd never play the Prove It All Night 78 into again. Doesn't sound to me like someone who would revisit old concerts.....that and Landau has hinted that the next project could be another Seeger Sessions band.

But, man, I'd kill for small venues.

There have been some people on some Springsteen boards who have called a lot of this stuff with alarming accuracy in the past. Let's hope that some percentage of it, as well as the unknown is true. I for one, could take or leave more SSB.

i hope bruce is inspired by his revisiting the darkness stuff and just writes some basic pop songs and records live like the darkness at paramount dvd. just guitars, bass, drums and keys. not background singers, no goofy brendan obrian production and maybe no nils....sorry.

There have been some people on some Springsteen boards who have called a lot of this stuff with alarming accuracy in the past. Let's hope that some percentage of it, as well as the unknown is true. I for one, could take or leave more SSB.

Back when I used to frequent the AOL boards and the RMAS newsgroup, there were some posters who were peripheral members of the Bruce camp who frequented both boards. But it depends on who is saying it.

Agreed...read all of those things over the years too. But, there is always the odd troll who throws a wrench in things. Was your original post from BTX?

In addition to the "odd troll" thing, the folks with the inside knowledge all seem to agree that even when Bruce makes a plan, it is subject to change up to the moment it is officially announced. So while he may actually be thinking now of doing exacly what LouisvilleGreg's post suggests, it wouldn't take too much to throw this off course. And tickets to a 25 show theatre tour reliving '78 will be pretty hard to get.

Agreed...read all of those things over the years too. But, there is always the odd troll who throws a wrench in things. Was your original post from BTX?

It was from Greasy Lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5dtn9tVpU&feature=channel

this is one of my favorite bruce songs. i love this version. is it in front of an audience? anyway, love hearing bruce's guitar at the forefront.

One of the things that is painfully obvious with videos of his stage performances and has been obvious since 1992 is Bruce's reliance on the teleprompter. At times is it really distracting. Those totured artist looks on his face is him struggling to read the prompter.

He manages to remember the chords to the songs, the phrasing (usually) and the guitar solos...yet he can't remember his lyrics?

Other than that, I am always enthralled with the performances.

One of the things that is painfully obvious with videos of his stage performances and has been obvious since 1992 is Bruce's reliance on the teleprompter.

Yeah, the prompter thing bugs me too. Only because as a singer, you sing something totally different when you know it by heart vs reading it. When you see him live now, you can just hear it in his singing the ones he knows vs relying on the prompter.

Yeah, the prompter thing bugs me too. Only because as a singer, you sing something totally different when you know it by heart vs reading it. When you see him live now, you can just hear it in his singing the ones he knows vs relying on the prompter.

Yeah, it kind of bugs me too...but we wouldn't get nearly the amount of rarities on tour that we get these days without it...so it's bittersweet, I guess.

• 1 year later...

Popmarket has The Promise (Deluxe) as today's daily deal - $60 until noon tomorrow.

They also have Springsteen Live 3 cd set ('75-'85) for $22 as a weekly deal.

No tax or shipping costs.

I got both sets for $82 total! Been planning to use my saved-up B&N gift cards on The Promise, now I can use it on something else. Maybe I'll go ahead and get the the remaining 4 or 5 Dylan albms I don't have yet.

It's funny to look up a few posts and see how completely wrong the "insider's info" was from 2010.

More disappointing than funny