Wedding Songs (Please Help)

My fiance and I are getting married Sept 4 and are still searching for a few songs for different aspects of the ceremony and reception. Given all the fine musically-inclined folks on here, I was hoping some of you might help me think of some tunes that might've escaped my memory.

To give you some ideas, it looks like the ceremony will involve the Headless Heroes' cover of "True Love Will Find You In The End," the Black Keys' "Everlasting Light," a friend of mine covering "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" and Townes Van Zandt's "If I Needed You," and Sir Douglas Quintet's "Baby, Let's Go To Mexico".

First dance options include:

Doug Sahm's "Be Real"

Son Volt "Dynamite"

Will Johnson "Just To Know What You've Been Dreaming"

The Fruit Bats "When U Love Somebody"

"You And I"

Where we'll really running into trouble is the mother/son and father/daughter dance numbers, as almost any great love song becomes instantly creepy the moment you find yourself dancing with your mom.

I was partial to Alela Diane's "Oh! My Mama" but my mother can't seem to get over the fact that the genders don't match up, as it is a song to a mother from her daughter. FML. Other options include "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys," "Simple Man" and whatever the bright, wonderful minds of Via Chicago can come up with. Same goes for the father/daughter dance.

Thanks y'all--Noah

Mama You Been On My Mind, perhaps?

I can't recall all the lyrics exactly, but it could work.

Looked at that one already. A classic, but definitely not about his mother. Unless he used to sleep with his mother.

The first song that my wife and I danced to at our wedding:

"You're the One For Me (by Jonathan Richman... the Jonathan Sings! version)

If you didn't want me you shouldn't have been born

That started all the trouble now the damage been done

You never should have been born

Cuz now you're the one for me

And if you didn't want me to follow you around

You never should have showed up around my town

You never should have come to town

And it's too late cuz now you're stuck with me

Better give up, it's me you choose

I say "ha ha ha ha, it's me, you lose."

It's to late cuz now my minds is set

You better give up because i won't forget

That could never never be

Well you're the one for me

Oh baby, oh honey

Well it's too late

You're the one for me

If you didn't want me you shouldn't have been born

And we never should have met that morn

We never should have met

And if you didn't want me to want you this way

Well you never should have seen my rock n roll band play

You never should have seen the lovers play

Cuz now you're the one for me.

And it's too late cuz now you're stuck with me

Better give up, it's me you choose

I say "ha ha ha ha, it's me, you lose."

It's to late cuz now my minds is set

You better give up because i won't forget

That could never never be

Well you're the one for me

Oh babe, oh honey

It's just too late

You're the one for me

You're the one for me

You're the one, you're the one

You're the one, it's too late

You're the one

(Of course, if you're a fan of living dangerously and really don't want to be married at all, you could suggest Morrisey's "You're the One for Me, Fatty".)

I had a connection with my mom with Harry Belafonte. When I was a kid, and she was doing her chores, she'd always put him on the record player.

So, last summer, when I got married my mom/son dance was "mama look a booboo" (which is a song about how ugly the kids' dad is, so we were both laughing).

My wife's dad actually picked their father/daughter song, My Girl.

Last night, listening to Neko Case, I thought Star Witness would make a lovely first song.

The last wedding I went to, the father/daughter dance was "Forever Young" by Dylan. Can't think of a good mother/son song. All the ones that come to mind don't exactly work (Mother by Lennon or Pink Floyd).

Is she a "Red neck Mother"?

The last wedding I went to, the father/daughter dance was "Forever Young" by Dylan. Can't think of a good mother/son song. All the ones that come to mind don't exactly work (Mother by Lennon or Pink Floyd).

She used to follow Willie and Jerry Jeff Walker around in the '70s and can sing every word to that song, but has mellowed considerably.

My fiance and I get married this Labor Day Weekend, here's the roster of songs so far:

First Dance - "Real Love" by The Beatles

Cake Cutting - "Question" by The Old 97s or possibly "You And I" by Wilco, both were up for First Dance too.

Wedding Party Intros - "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga (South Park Remix w/Cartman singing)

Groom/Mother Dance - "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong or "In My Life" by The Beatles

Garter Dance/Toss - ?

Bride/Father Dance - "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman

Bouquet Toss - "Single Ladies" by Beyonce

The last two were the fiance's choice (as they should be) but trying to find a song to do a mother/son dance to is tough when all the mother listens to is modern pop country and I'd rather drill holes through my head than listen to that...

Anyone think Cali Stars would work for mother/son?

My fiance and I get married this Labor Day Weekend, here's the roster of songs so far:

First Dance - "Real Love" by The Beatles

Cake Cutting - "Question" by The Old 97s or possibly "You And I" by Wilco, both were up for First Dance too.

Wedding Party Intros - "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga (South Park Remix w/Cartman singing)

Groom/Mother Dance - "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong or "In My Life" by The Beatles

Garter Dance/Toss - ?

Bride/Father Dance - "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman

Bouquet Toss - "Single Ladies" by Beyonce

The last two were the fiance's choice (as they should be) but trying to find a song to do a mother/son dance to is tough when all the mother listens to is modern pop country and I'd rather drill holes through my head than listen to that...

Anyone think Cali Stars would work for mother/son?

Humor her and let her pick the song. She's the woman who gave birth to you and put up with all your bullshit while you were growing up.

And, she loves you.

Depending on your view of the impending marriage this could be an appropriate song. A song about an overprotective mother vetting her sons girlfriends etc. Not sure its a great one to dance to though!!

Humor her and let her pick the song. She's the woman who gave birth to you and put up with all your bullshit while you were growing up.

And, she loves you.

Actually already tried that angle, she actually said she wanted it to be something we both wanted to hear which is why I'm thinking Louis Armstrong or The Beatles may be exactly the right choice.

Picking the mother/son dance has been the toughest thing for us too. Trying to pick a song that conveys love but not in a creepy "I'm REALLY in love with you" kind of way.

Actually already tried that angle, she actually said she wanted it to be something we both wanted to hear which is why I'm thinking Louis Armstrong or The Beatles may be exactly the right choice.

Picking the mother/son dance has been the toughest thing for us too. Trying to pick a song that conveys love but not in a creepy "I'm REALLY in love with you" kind of way.

How about — might get a little laugh, too — "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard?

How about — might get a little laugh, too — "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard?

That's on my list. Not sure the moms is gonna go for it though.