Interesting way to go

SARATOGA, Calif. (AP) — A man jumped at least 20 feet to his death onto the stage of a Northern California concert in front of hundreds of horrified music fans, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The Swell Season was playing an outdoor show at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga in front of a crowd of about 1,900 when the jump happened Thursday night.

Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Rick Sung says authorities are treating the death as a suicide. Sung said the man's identity will not be released.

Sung says the man left a friend in the audience around 10 p.m. and soon appeared on a roof that covers the stage. Witnesses say he jumped off the roof and landed on stage near the band's lead singer, Glen Hansard.

Witnesses said Hansard removed his guitar and walked over to the man's body.

The jumper was pronounced dead by a doctor in attendance who spent an hour trying to revive him.

The band extended its sympathies in a MySpace post Friday.

"Our hearts go out to the victim who decided to take his own life at last night's gig ... and to his friends and family," the statement said.

Hansard and singer-songwriter Marketa Irglova are known in part for the alt-rock band's role in the 2006 movie Once. The group wrote and performed the movie's theme song, Falling Slowly, which won the Academy Award for best original song.

Promoter Live Nation said it would not change its concert schedule.

"We have ample security in place and trained safety staff at every concert and we are committed to ensuring the safety of all who come to Mountain Winery," the group said in a statement. "At the same time, we are working with the local authorities in investigating this tragic incident."

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I heard about this yesterday and it is sad on many levels. I can't imagine going out to a night of entertainment and witnessing what happened. It would be a memory that would be hard to forget. From what I heard the band, venue and audience handled it as best as they could. :ohwell

Someone at Live Nation needs to figure out how to turn off these auto-generated e-mails. I had tickets to this show, but couldn't make it. This morning, I got this e-mail from Live Nation:

THANKS for coming to see The Swell Season at The Mountain Winery. How was it?

Was it great, good or bad? What can we at Live Nation do to help make your next show even better?

We want your opinions and ideas, and want to hear about your experience - really. The best way for us to make your next show better is to get your feedback.

If you can, please fill out the survey below (it'll only take about 5 minutes). We also hope you'll share your opinions and reviews - whether they're good or bad - with other fans on LiveNation.com.

Again, thanks a lot for coming to The Swell Season at The Mountain Winery and for taking a few minutes to let us know your thoughts. I hope I'll see you at your next show,

Michael Rapino

President and CEO, Live Nation

Seriously? There's no way they could have re-worded the e-mail for this particular show, before sending it out?

I'm all for being sympathetic to people who are so desperate in their lives that they commit suicide. It truly is a tragedy that they find themselves in that place and think they have no other option but to kill themselves.

That being said, people who do it like this -- risking the lives of others, as well as creating a traumatic & unforgettable memory for all who witness it -- are selfish assholes. Way to go out with a bang, jerk. You're lucky you didn't hit anyone on the way down.

Part of me hopes he was just high and thought he could fly.

Apparently he had lots of legal troubles, domestic violence charges, etc.

And yeah, I'm sympathetic to anyone who suffers from depression. But anyone who takes anyone out with them, or tries to, or somehow creates a situation that could be dangerous to anyone else is going to lose a big chunk of my sympathy. Not to mention doing this in front of a crowd of people, including lots of kids. It was not just desparate on his part, there was some aggression there, too.

What blew me was a suicide attempt from 20 feet. This is not the Golden Gate Bridge here, were talking a little higher than my garage. Thats basically the equivalnt of six Advil and a half a Zima. His suicide attempt could have very easily turned into breaking his wrist, looking like a drunk, and back in time for the closing act. Selfish,inconsiderate,irrational,poorly planned.

The Swell Season posted another message on its Facebook page Saturday before a concert in Washington state.

"Making and performing music is what the band has always done in good times and in bad," it read. "Our hope is that in this communal experience tonight we can somehow help our own grieving process after what we just witnessed. The show will most certainly be different than any other we have ever played."

"We wish to continue to be sensitive to family and friends of this individual and hope that in performing it is not viewed as a selfish act," the message continues. "We have not come to this decision lightly. We continue to have them at the forefront of our minds and hearts.?"

As I posted in another thread (No Depression Fest), I was at the show on Saturday referenced above, 2 days later, and I give them credit for not having stage fright of a different kind. You could tell it profoundly affected them, and there were several references to the event in the course of the set.

What a cruel way to take your own life. Besides the violence to himself, he brought violence and horror to so many other people, as well as the end of what would have been a great show, I expect, based on seeing them live here on Saturday. Nobody who saw this will ever forget it, and more than a few nightmares will be had. I'd like to thank them for not cancelling the few remaining west coast dates.

And today:

Fan Advisory Update - Swell Season at the Mountain Winery

Regrettably, you may have received an automated post show survey related to Swell Season's concert at the Mountain Winery.

These surveys are conducted after each Live Nation concert, and while they provide valuable feedback to make your experiences better in the future, this email should not have been sent. Please accept our apologies and our thoughts go out to everyone affected by this event.

:rolleyes

So much for "falling slowly."

"douchey"

That being said, people who do it like this -- risking the lives of others, as well as creating a traumatic & unforgettable memory for all who witness it -- are selfish assholes. Way to go out with a bang, jerk. You're lucky you didn't hit anyone on the way down.

But anyone who takes anyone out with them, or tries to, or somehow creates a situation that could be dangerous to anyone else is going to lose a big chunk of my sympathy. Not to mention doing this in front of a crowd of people, including lots of kids. It was not just desparate on his part, there was some aggression there, too.

I understand where y'all are coming from, but I think it's a little misguided to apply logic to an act that is by definition illogical. one who is involved in going against his survival instinct and ending his own life is not engaged in rational thought, and so I think it's a bit unfair to criticize that person's sense of selfishness, etc. a sick mind isn't rationally thinking out those consequences.

Guest Speed Racer

I understand where y'all are coming from, but I think it's a little misguided to apply logic to an act that is by definition illogical. one who is involved in going against his survival instinct and ending his own life is not engaged in rational thought, and so I think it's a bit unfair to criticize that person's sense of selfishness, etc. a sick mind isn't rationally thinking out those consequences.

Well, you can apply that statement to almost any situation in which someone puts someone else in harm's way for no reason: killing someone, outside of self-defense, is illogical, but people don't hesitate to condemn murderers.

This reminds me of that lady in Chicago a few years ago who ran a red, hoping to kill herself. She survived, and four local musicians were killed when she hit their car.

I don't necessarily judge him, though I do think his chosen venue was inconsiderate. I guess I just think that it's so ridiculously easy to kill yourself without exposing anyone else to the immediate act that it is hard not to question why someone would do it in such a public and dangerous venue.

Or, more succinctly: grief can be as irrational as suicide, and both take all forms. I think it's equally unfair to question someone's response to a suicide as it is to question or criticize the act itself.

But suicides are generally private affairs that leave the victim to be found by a loved one. This guy sucks. I say fuck him.

I say fuck him too. My friend is a cop who has to deal with suicides all the time. He once got called to a house where a man committed suicide. He left a note on the door that was something along the lines of "call the police immediately, please do not let my kids in this room." Now that's still incredibly sad and disturbing, but it's also a very considerate/private way to do it.

How has it been determined that he actually was trying to off himself? Was there a suicide noteDid he swan dive onto the top of his head? Did he proclaim he wanted to end his life before jumping the 20 ft? Sounds like a drunken stage-dive/idiocy gone bad.

Guest Speed Racer

How has it been determined that he actually was trying to off himself?

I think that when they say, "police are treating the death as a suicide," that they have reason to believe that it was not an accidental death.

ETA: Here's a link to the SF Weekly story about the death, which expands on the OP story.

I totally say fuck him, after watching Glen Hansard and crew dealing with it on Saturday evening.

Glen was in a moment of funk about it between songs, and I yelled out (politely I hope) : Look at the moon! because there was a beautiful moon rising over his shoulder. He said 'where?', and several voices in unison yelled out right there, pointing over his right shoulder. Then he changed the next song on the setlist and played 'The Moon'. I was actually just trying to cheer them up, and didn't realize that it would evolve the way that it did. It was an incredibly beautiful rendition of that song.

At the risk of repeating myself from the festival thread, a couple of moving moments in the set attached.

10_Aug_21_102a.jpg

10_Aug_21_127b.jpg

"douchey"

You can "douchey" me all you want. I give a fuck?

As far as your statement, you're right.

I've had a good friend blow her brains out. She did in it private, in a parking lot of a state park after the park shut down for the evening. She left behind her family, including a son, but at least she didn't endanger anybody, nor did she leave herself to be found in that state by her family. Irrational, yes, but total disregard to others, no.

I also know a man who used to drive tractor trailers for a living. He did so for years until the day a man used his rig as a means to kill himself. The dude sat on the shoulder waiting for a truck to come by at full speed, then pulled out quickly and stopped directly in the path of the oncoming rig. That man was irrational to end his life, but not only did he injure the truck driver's back in the wreck, he caused psychological damage to the truck driver to the point he could no longer drive with confidence on the open road. He had to switch careers when he had no intention of doing so.

This fellow at the concert has caused psychological damage to the performers and audience members, and some of them may never get completely past it. He could have injured or killed Glen, which is beyond selfish. Despite the fact suicidal people are irrational, when you try to include others in your own demise, the critcism is deserved.

You can defend the mentally ill and even the people who die by suicide, but you can't defend the inclusion of others in the act of suicide. It's one thing to be suicidal, quite another to be murderous in the act of suicide.

You can defend the mentally ill and even the people who die by suicide, but you can't defend the inclusion of others in the act of suicide. It's one thing to be suicidal, quite another to be murderous in the act of suicide.

:yes

The Swell Season are good people:

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Full Statement on the show in Saratoga with info on free grief counseling available via Kara

Over the last few days the band and crew have been dealing and coming to terms with the events of last Thursday night. The range of emotion is far and wide and sadly we will carry this with us forever. As will all those that were in attendance. To all those who have reached out to us in the last few days please know we are humbled by your support, kindness and generosity. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to write everyone back, but please know that we are getting these messages and THANK YOU.

We ask that you continue to send the same positive energy to the family and friends of Michael Pickels, who need equal support to get through this difficult time.

At some point over the weekend we met with grief counselors to help try and make sense of this situation. While we likely will never gain the answers we need, what we did get out of the conversations were of great service to our mind, body and soul. In regards to coping with what we witnessed it was a step in the right direction. We have come to realize that some of those in attendance may be in need of similar counseling and may not be receiving it. Our hearts go out to you and we want to encourage you to talk to someone who has experience in these types of matters.

We have reached out to Kara, a Bay Area organization that is available to assist with grief counseling for attendees. Kara offers one-to-one grief counseling and have also set up several drop in groups specifically for you over the next couple of weeks.

If you or your children were at The Swell Season concert at The Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA Thursday, August 19, 2010, you witnessed something that is traumatic and has the potential to stay with you.

All Kara peer counseling is free. Do not be afraid to reach out to them and one does not need to attend the first meeting to attend subsequent meetings.

Please call 650-321-5272 for one-to-one support or to find out more about the drop in groups.

Drop in group schedule:

Thursday, August 26th, noon – 1:30pm

Thursday, August 26th, 7pm – 8:30pm

Thursday, September 2nd, noon-1:30pm

Thursday, September 2nd, 7pm-8:30pm

The drop in groups will be held at Kara, 457 Kingsley Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301. Please plan to stay for the full time of the group session.

Kara’s regular office hours are Monday through Friday 9am – 4pm. For the next few weeks they will also be regularly checking for messages after hours and will respond as quickly as possible. Please note that Kara is not a 24 hour crisis hotline. If you are in crisis and in need of urgent services please contact 408-279-3312, the Santa Clara County Mental Health Suicide & Crisis Service 24 hour line.

We will be checking in with Kara throughout the next few days and week and will take their lead as we move forward. They are the professionals and we are blessed to have them there and ready to help.

We love our fans and it’s time to turn our attention to them. Without them we are nothing.

Respectfully, The Swell Season

The Swell Season are good people:

Indeed they are. They are the real deal.

By the way, Glen's bringing the Frames back to Seattle on tour in November, and I assume elsewhere, but I haven't checked the schedule.