Classical Music Suggestions

I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit. Most of what I know/like is pretty obvious:

Beethoven's piano sonatas and 9th symphony

Anything by J.S.Bach

Mahler's First Symphony

though there are some (slightly) less well known things I can get into:

Dvorak "Slavonic Dances"

Smetana "The Moldau"

Usually I prefer the stuff with the strong melodies over the amorphous tone poems. That said, some modern/contemporary/avante garde stuff appeals to me (John Cage, if that's classical, some Henryk Gorecki. Can't stand Penderecki)

I know there are gaping holes waiting to be filled with good music. So, help edumacate me.

(please no Mozart!)

Just some thoughts....

Hayden Symphonies - 22, 31, the last 4

if you like Mahler 1 try any of the others, 5 is a good one to move to next then

Sibelius Symphonies 1,2,5

Wagner opera excerpts

Brahms 4 symphonies

Tchaikovsky symphonies 4, 5, 6

Shostakovitch symphony 5

if you are looking for some other more off the beaten path stuff try

Janacek Sinfonietta

Martinu Symphony No. 5

Just some jumping off points.

I've spent almost 40 years playing this music so if you ever want to talk about it feel free to get in touch.

And I know you said no Mozart but...

Mozart Piano Concertos - my favorites are 21 (obvious) and 22.

Mozart Symphonies - 25, 29, 40, 41

I just had to add those.

I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit. Most of what I know/like is pretty obvious:

Beethoven's piano sonatas and 9th symphony

Anything by J.S.Bach

Mahler's First Symphony

though there are some (slightly) less well known things I can get into:

Dvorak "Slavonic Dances"

Smetana "The Moldau"

Usually I prefer the stuff with the strong melodies over the amorphous tone poems. That said, some modern/contemporary/avante garde stuff appeals to me (John Cage, if that's classical, some Henryk Gorecki. Can't stand Penderecki)

I know there are gaping holes waiting to be filled with good music. So, help edumacate me.

(please no Mozart!)

Why no Mozart? His sense of melody makes even his most obscure work appealing.

Some of my favorites are Mahler's 9th, Bach's Mass in B Minor, Dvorak's New World Symphony, Richard Strauss' Four Last Songs, Williams' Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Beethoven's 9th.

• 1 month later...

My favorite piece of music, in any genre, has to be:

IX. Nimrod from the Enigma Variations by Edward Elgar

This is one of those pieces of music that you just have to stop and do nothing and pay attention to the beauty of it. Every time I listen to it I get the exact same feeling of optimism, and sheer bliss. You really get a sense of what kind of amazing things human beings are capable of when you listen to it. I sincerely hope you'll give it a listen and enjoy.

Todd- funny you should recommend this-the world is small: in the days when my wife was my girlfriend she was as au pere in Munich. The father in the family was the guy who did the stage and costume design for this.

Pepper, on the basis of your passionate recommendation (and the fact that I too like Magritte)I'll check it out.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself some Stravinsky, particularly "Rite of Spring" is essential to any classical music collection.

In the more modern classical department Philip Glass, Steve Reich, and John Addams are all worth checking out. In particularly Reich's "Music For 18 Musicians" is probably one of my favorite classical pieces, period.

Beethoven is probably my favorite old-school classical guy, but I like the late classical to more modern Russian composers a lot as well. If you go really old school Leonin and Perotin have some seriously interesting vocal pieces that influenced a lot of modern composers. Pretty much any era there is something worth checking out. Hope that helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to gogo's and my mom's alma mater for this tonight:

One of the first American “original instrument” ensembles founded in 1973, The Aulos Ensemble, will present the program “Music at Versailles: a Royal Entertainment,” featuring selectiongs by Rameau, Couperin, and Balbastre on Friday, November 5, at 8:00pm.

• The Aulos Ensembles accomplishments over the past four decades have given it pre-eminence in the early music movement. The ensemble members - Christopher Krueger, flute; Marc Schachman, oboe; faculty member Linda Quan, violin; Myron Lutzke, cello; and Arthur Haas, harpsichord - are among the world’s leading performers on baroque instruments today. “The Aulos players were their usual expert selves. In all, it was an utter delight,” noted a review in the New York Times of the ensemble’s Acis and Galatea. “If the performers had changed their minds and offered a second run-through after all, many of the loudly appreciative audience members would surely have stayed to hear it again."

• 1 year later...

My classical music suggestion....turn on the local classical radio station and give that a listen for awhile. Or go to your local resale shop and look in the record section. High quality classical records almost always turn up at your local Salvation Army or other brand of resale store. I have collected hundreds that way. Good stuff too; lots of Deutche Gramaphone and other high quality classical imprints.

LouieB

Just a friendly tip: The "Big Bach Set," featuring NINE hours of Bach recordings, is on sale at Amazon through the end of today for 99 CENTS.

Thank you for relaunching this thread that I hand't seen, classical I suggest Die Moldau by Smetana