VC 2011 Calendar!!!

After a timely nudge from the fabulous Ms. Preferred B, I'm kicking off the planning discussion for a VC 2011 calendar.

For anyone who missed out, you should know that last year's calendar (info here) has given me tons of enjoyment throughout 2010. And I hope that the folks whose pictures were featured in the calendar enjoyed sharing their talents with us.

We're looking for a volunteer (or two or three) who might like to take on this project for 2011 (I did a pretty bare-bones job of it last year). I'm going to contact dixiecupdrinker, who was very helpful last year, but anyone else who might be interested, please either PM me, or post in this thread.

I love that we got so many great submissions in last year's thread, we could probably make up another calendar just using the shots that are already posted in there. Of course, new submissions, posted in this thread, would also be warmly welcomed.

Please keep in mind the guidelines that were posted last year:

Link to buy calendars: http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore*

After seeing a great suggestion from dixiecupdrinker in this thread, Brianne and I have kicked around some ideas (we've given ourselves all of 30 minutes to flesh out this idea, so it may evolve as we get replies in this thread :lol) for a VC calendar for 2010.

As previously stated in the t-shirts/other merch thread, we don't want to be in the business of competing with Wilco for any merchandise sales. So, even though they're not putting out a calendar this year, we're still going to play it safe and just go with a calendar that showcases VC's all-around photography skills, not just concert pics. This thread has some really beautiful shots, and I know lots of VCers have posted other great pictures in other threads, too.

So, if you've got a shot you'd like to have included in a VC calendar, please post it in this thread. A few things to think about:

• Please submit only images that you took, you own the rights to, and you're willing to let VC distribute freely, as part of our fund-raising.
  • Please get your pictures in by no later than next Friday, December 11. I'll try to get the calendar assembled by Saturday night, which should still allow plenty of time for shipping before the new year.
  • If we get more submissions than we can use for the calendar, the moderating staff reserves the right to pick our favorites. We don't want to create any hard feelings, but there are so many talented VCers out there...
  • Please note the image-size recommendations for calendars, from zazzle (if your image doesn't meet those criteria, we'll work with it as much as possible):

300ppi

Two page: Standard image area is 11x8.5: 2200 x 1700 pixels

Huge image area is 14.25x11: 2850 x 2200 pixels

Small image area is 7x5.5: 1400 x 1100 pixels

Single Page: Standard image area is 11x8.5: 2200 x 1700 pixels

Small image area is 7x5.5: 1400 x 1100 pixels

To fill the full area, we recommend that you use images that are equal to or larger than the recommended sizes. You can design your calendar with images much smaller than these recommended sizes and place them anywhere on the calendar.

OK, show us what you've got!

We set 12/11 as the submission date last year, and it looks from that thread like we didn't have the calendar available until 12/19, but I'd rather not cut it quite that close this year. It would be nice if people could buy dozens of these and hand them out as Christmas gifts :santa (sorry, we're probably not going to make it in time for Hanukkah, which starts pretty early this year :hmm ).

So: any takers?

p.s. If I don't get a decent response to this thread, I'm going to put together a calendar with a dozen pictures of a bunch of little old Irish ladies, from my vacation this year, and call that the VC 2011 Calendar. Or maybe my nephew's soccer team. Or the Giants victory parade. I haven't decided yet.

DSC00573

DSC00234

DSC00984

Don't try me, I'll do it!

Guest Speed Racer

2011's Smarmy, Condescending, Hurtful Calendar

ViaChicago: Too Sensitive for 2011

ViaChicago 2011 Calendar: Tiny Irish Women Not Included

2010 2011: Fixed It For You

ViaChicago 2011

Only 11 Pages til We Need More Photos

Bjorn, I'minna slap a bitch if you don't include that light-up dong the Bobble posted.

What fun!! Some possibilities, and I have loads more. I

If any of these pass muster I can provide the right sizes.

5200478240_3a83cc6d67.jpg

L-R: Jake, Max's GF Ellie and Max on the beach in San Francisco. I love this so much I'm toying with sending out as an xmas card.

4961625048_01bb03c8ab.jpg

Montana sunset

4960872199_6dc9748cb9.jpg

Montana moonset

4961654362_8ff12fe472.jpg

Winter view out the window at our house

4960835353_908fed4cbb.jpg

Flower blooming in our garden

And since when did flickr make it so hard to share these, even with a pro account :frusty

Dear Pervy Perverson: that is our christmas tree under a shit ton of snow. In Virginia, not vagina!
\

I also had no clue what that was, but now that you say it, I totally see it, and I love it!

probbaly is so outside of requirments but here is some of my digital art .. I have lots My link

I would love to include some original artwork, and yours is beautiful! I'm wondering about the sizes, though. Some of your pieces that I checked out there on your flickr seem like they'd be too small to work. Do you have other sizes of those, or maybe I just didn't check out enough of them and missed a bigger one? Thanks!

Those are just the low rez versions that I posted

most those the actual size is large

\

I also had no clue what that was, but now that you say it, I totally see it, and I love it!

I would love to include some original artwork, and yours is beautiful! I'm wondering about the sizes, though. Some of your pieces that I checked out there on your flickr seem like they'd be too small to work. Do you have other sizes of those, or maybe I just didn't check out enough of them and missed a bigger one? Thanks!

We don't have to be limited to just calendars. We can also use the Zazzle Quick Create tool to make t-shirts, mousepads, coffee mugs, post cards, beer steins, magnets, baby clothes, trucker hats, doggie shirts, and cloth grocery bags. I have over 2,000 pages of products, so I'm pretty familiar with how to do it and volunteer to make actual products with folks' donated original photos, art, drawings, sketches, paintings, etc. If we open it up beyond just images for a calendar, perhaps that will spark some creativity.

Outside of the Quick Create products, they also now have iPad and iPhone cases.

The art, photos, etc. must be original and can not be copyrighted or trademarked. We'll need to gather information about everything donated such as artist/photog name, name of piece, maybe date created, and a brief description that is keyword rich.

Not to give myself a plug, but if you check out my store, you can get a better idea of the variety of products available: Scenes from the Past

dcd

probbaly is so outside of requirments but here is some of my digital art .. I have lots My link

You have some awesome stuff there! Nice work! You should consider setting up your own store and seeing what you can do. Stop giving it away for free on Flickr and make some money. It provides me a nice supplemental income every month. In fact, I made enough this year to pay for a huge hunk of my wedding last month.

dcd

• 3 weeks later...

When's the deadline for this? I might have a picture or two (I submitted the dog yawning pic from last year) :thumbup

My wife snapped a picture of a Black Widow that is both awesome and scary. I'll have to find the high res version later on..

We're kind of in no-deadline mode right now, because I haven't really done much/anything on this yet. If anyone who has posted in this thread can send a high-res version of their submission to me at maudiemcc -at- hotmail, I'll try to get to them, at some point.

Probably not in time for christmas presents...