Tweedy vs. Bird

Guest Speed Racer

I think it would have fit like a Four Seasons cover on YHF myself. I think that record is perfect as is.

And the lyrics are really, really evocative of Jay's writing, in my own opinion. "Smoking grass and taking Christmas trees?" Total Jay, to me. Jay recorded it for one of his solo albums, if I recall. That and Cars Can't Escape were either mostly written by or heavily influenced by Jay.

Back to Andrew Bird....he was incredible at 4th Pres last night. What a great concert. He stayed completely away from his "hits" and did new songs, old songs and some improv, including playing with Jeff Parker and Nora O'Connor.

LouieB

Back to Andrew Bird....he was incredible at 4th Pres last night. What a great concert. He stayed completely away from his "hits" and did new songs, old songs and some improv, including playing with Jeff Parker and Nora O'Connor.

LouieB

That's cool Parker played with him. Has he played with him before?

That's cool Parker played with him. Has he played with him before?

I don't kinow. He opened solo and was as usual quite good. But Andrew was on fire. I would guess that sometime in both of their musical pasts they did play together.

LouieB

I think it would have fit like a Four Seasons cover on YHF myself. I think that record is perfect as is.

And the lyrics are really, really evocative of Jay's writing, in my own opinion. "Smoking grass and taking Christmas trees?" Total Jay, to me. Jay recorded it for one of his solo albums, if I recall. That and Cars Can't Escape were either mostly written by or heavily influenced by Jay.

Yep. Foxtrot is perfect as is For the most part the songs that got taken and developed further were the right ones, and the songs that they kinda perfected as demos were left as that. Venus is tremendous, but I don't really think there's a lot they could have done with it other than just Jay on the piano, Jeff singing and John and Jay's harmonies, I don't quite see that song lending itself to the for lack of a better term "sonic weight" they added to Ashes, Poor Places, et. all.

The Foxtrot demos also work very well as their own thing. That might be the third best album of Wilco's available, and it's not that hard to find. Anyone with an internet connection and who knows the url to google can have it pretty easily.

--Mike

i would have liked it more then heavy metal drummer myself, but same with summerteeth and candyfloss,they seem to throw songs that arent in the same lyrical vein[?] as the rest of the their best albums.though the sound on candyfloss was cool,it literally sounds like i imagine candyfloss would taste like

i like seeing jeff at shows tell people how to be considerate.if you want to fuck around go outside.hes emotional about his fucking music.plus his lyrics are amazing.tweedy is the james joyce of rock and roll.

tweedys best songs are the ones that give a shape to a story that might be his or yours.

This.