Home Painting Project

My living room is all white. I'm going to color it up a bit by complimenting the existing white with a bold color around the fireplace. I've helped paint before, but I always just helped with the painting, not the preparations.

I know about drop cloth and the blue tape.

Do you match up the style of the new paint with the existing, as in flat with flat, glossy with glossy?

Since the existing color is white, do I even need primer?

How many gallons per square feet of wall?

Best style of brush, fine or thick, etc.?

Any other simple advice for a non-handyman kind of guy?

Thanks in advance for saving me from being at the mercy of a salesperson for answers.

I think matching sheens is a good idea. It's ok to use different sheens on walls vs. trim, but all the walls in the room will probably look best if you go with the same sheen.

I have never primed an already painted wall before, and the results have been good. Maybe not professional quiality, but perfectly nice looking. Having said that, if you spackle or patch anything, you'll get better results if you sand and prime those areas before painting.

Also, if you have any water stains, you'll want to use an appropriate primer. Kilz is the standard water stain primer/blocker.

Unless the wall you're painting is very large, you'll probably be ok with one gallon. Usually I can paint a whole room (average bedroom size) with two gallons (two coats). Actually, I just finished painting a 30" hallway and a stairway with tall walls and I only went through slightly more than two gallons of paint.

Two coats is always better than one, in my experience. This is definitely true if you're making a drastic color change.

I'd get one angled brush and one flat brush. If you're just using them to cut in the edges and corners, 2" brushes will be wide enough.

If the wall is smooth, a standard roller will be fine. Get two or three cheap ones. If your walls are stucco or masonry you'll need thicker rollers.

a steady hand and a wet rag makes the blue tape not necessary in most situations. do you best free hand and wipe up any messes you might make right away. it saves you a ton of time.

I agree. That blue tape is kinda like those things they put in the gutters for kids to bowl. If you know its there you bowl/paint like a maniac. Usually your pretty dissapointed when you remove the tape...freehand it. Also you might want to ask somebody where your buying the paint what can go over what . Im no expert but if your existing walls are oil based you are going to want to prime them first.

stay away from Behr paint from Home Depot. Its ok but as I first time homeowner i basically painted the whole interior with it and i hope it holds up.

**i'm sure you are aware but painting is a blast when you have your stereo cranked to your favorite songs!**

Aware! Oh, I'm aware!

Does Home Depot sell other brands? Our local HD has never done well here and has announced they're closing my local store. Liquidation began today. I was hoping to find good stuff at a bargain. Thanks.

Aware! Oh, I'm aware!

Does Home Depot sell other brands? Our local HD has never done well here and has announced they're closing my local store. Liquidation began today. I was hoping to find good stuff at a bargain. Thanks.

Home Depots main brand is Behr which is damn good paint. It covers well. We were doing the old multiple single purchase trick with $5 off per gallon coupons. They probably have an "OOPS" dept as well where they sell returns.

I've heard and read a lot of negative things about Behr over the years. I've painted at least 12 rooms rooms with Behr paint and I've never had a problem with it.

Home Depot also sells Glidden, and some other brands.

I hate that blue tape- it never works and is never totally straight- use it only where totally necessary. just go really slow with a steady hand and it'll turn out way better.

Purdy brushes are great. I've only ever used Benjanmin Moore paint and it is usually lovely but i think my last batch wasn't mixed right- it was all bubbly :(

my biggest thing is that, if you haven't painted the trim/baseboards lately, I would do that, too. It will make the difference and everything will look way better and fresher.

I've slowly been painting my all white house and have never used primer, but the white paint on the walls was matte. If yours has any gloss in it, I would highly suggest lightly sanding your walls. They have large wall sander stick things that you can use for that. then use tacky cloth to remove the dust. since this will be a bold wall, you want it to look the best possible. give the paint a good base- make sure it is clean and dry, and you'll be good.

Also, don't stand on a step-stool barefoot. The last time I did that my foot was numb for days.

I paint for a living. Here are a few tips:

1. Use good paint - it DOES make a difference. Muralo is excellent. So is B. Moore. Behr and Glidden are garbage.

2. Use a matte (not to be confused with flat) finish on the walls. Lightly pole-sand the walls before you paint (especially if existing paint is at all glossy).

3. Use a good brush (E&J Gen Y series are great) and good roller covers. Take a piece of tape to the roller cover before you use it to remove lint.

4. Forget the blue tape - it's a waste of time and never works well. A steady hand is better.

5. Lightly scuff all trim before painting. Trust me, it'll bond a lot better.

6. Don't be fooled by clueless home depot staff - there are no brand specific colors. Any decent paint store can make any color from whatever book or swatch you get it from.

Good luck!

1. Use good paint - it DOES make a difference. Muralo is excellent. So is B. Moore. Behr and Glidden are garbage.

2. Use a matte (not to be confused with flat) finish on the walls. Lightly pole-sand the walls before you paint (especially if existing paint is at all glossy).

3. Use a good brush (E&J Gen Y series are great) and good roller covers. Take a piece of tape to the roller cover before you use it to remove lint.

4. Forget the blue tape - it's a waste of time and never works well. A steady hand is better.

5. Lightly scuff all trim before painting. Trust me, it'll bond a lot better.

6. Don't be fooled by clueless home depot staff - there are no brand specific colors. Any decent paint store can make any color from whatever book or swatch you get it from.

Good luck!

Thanks for the professional advice. But like I said, I'm a non-handyman. Therefore:

Pole-sand?

Scuff?

This is the kind of thing that'll make me feel like Jules is right.

Again.

Always good to hear from a pro. Curious though about what makes Behr 'garbage' in your opinion? Does it not cover as well as the others or something along those lines? I've always used Behr paint and have never had any issues (and my paint jobs seem to turn out well). What am I missing?

Thanks for the professional advice. But like I said, I'm a non-handyman. Therefore:

Pole-sand?

Scuff?

This is the kind of thing that'll make me feel like Jules is right.

Again.

Pole sanding: a sanding head that screws onto most decent extension poles. Put a piece of sandpaper on it and go around the room. It removes any stipple from the previous paint job.

Scuffing: just means gently sanding the trim to help the new paint bond better. Imperative if you're painting over gloss.