Wish I could say I saw NMH, but no.

http://www.mergerecords.com/blog/2011/02/jeff-mangum-curates-atp-and-announces-fall-solo-shows/

I'll be dragging the family the Trin-St.Pauls show, and have someone ready to line up at Soundscapes am on the 25th with a credit card. in short, will be using every connection possible to grab a number of tickets.

dates for the east coast dates are included below. Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel) on tour:

Aug 12 Toronto, ON Trinity St. Paul’s United Church – on sale 2/25

Aug 13 Toronto, ON Trinity St. Paul’s United Church – on sale 2/25

Sept 09 Cambridge, MA TBA

Sept 10 Boston, MA Jordan Hall at New England Conservatory – on sale 2/25

Sept 30 Asbury Park, NJ Paramount Theatre – Sold Out

Oct 03 Asbury Park, NJ Paramount Theatre – Sold Out

Oct 29 New York, NY Town Hall – on sale TBA

Nov 06 Jersey City, NJ Loew’s Theatre – on sale TBA

Dec 02 Somerset, UK All Tomorrow’s Parties Curated by Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel) – on sale 2/18

I was lucky enough to score 2 tickets in Toronto. I have been beyond excited all weekend. In fact, there is almost no way the show itself can top the lead up to it in which I will smile every day knowing I get to hear the voice sing the songs that have meant so much to me for the past 10 or so years.

I was lucky enough to score 2 tickets in Toronto. I have been beyond excited all weekend. In fact, there is almost no way the show itself can top the lead up to it in which I will smile every day knowing I get to hear the voice sing the songs that have meant so much to me for the past 10 or so years.

This post made me really, really happy. So glad that you were able to score tix, shoes.

:cheers

Maybe I'm missing it but does anyone know where to get the password for the Cambridge pre-sale that starts tomorrow?

The box office website says that a password is needed but I can't find any info on where to get one ...

I've been searching the past 2 days as well, and can't find anything. I've found other passwords, but they seem to be changing it for each city. I'll report back if I find it.

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=3711&perfcode=NWLM01&perfsubcode=2011

I emailed wordless music who is running the event and they emailed back saying "check the Elephant 6 Town Hall message board."

I went there and found a bunch of messages from people asking what the password is ...

apparently an e-mail with the password went out to those who are subscribed to the mailing list (which i'm not on). i'll keep poking around. i got shut out of NYC very quickly and i'm usually pretty lucky.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is a little late, but after reading the very nice personal George Martin meeting in this forum, I thought I would share what I wrote in my blog just after returning home from Toronto. If you are interested in this type of thing, enjoy.

In order to start putting down my thoughts, I needed let go a huge exhale, similar to the one I let out 48 hours ago. To begin to describe this night would be pointless. It lives inside me, and can only be remotely conveyed by words. In the Aeroplane over the Sea is as timeless and perfect as music can ever be. And the man behind it is special, mysterious, and brilliant. Because he rarely performs live, the thought of hearing the man sing the words that have meant so much to me was a distant dream. So when the announcement of a mini tour surfaced, the only thought was to get a ticket somewhere. That somewhere was Toronto on Saturday August 13th, 2011. To plan a trip around live music was nothing strange. But to plan a trip around Jeff Mangum live, well that was just unthinkable. In fact, I thought the months leading up to the show would be the exciting part. The performance itself would have to be a let down. I almost got over it as the calendar rolled towards August. Sure I had tickets, but what I really had was a vacation to Toronto. That was tangible and exciting. And I could not wrap my head around what exactly seeing Jeff Mangum perform live would be. Even after I arrived in Toronto, the focus was on the food, culture and newness of the city. Because I arrived on Thursday, the focus was rightly placed. Toronto is an amazing city filled with energy, people eating out, and a unique vibe. Earlier on Saturday during an all encompassing bike ride, I rode by the church where the performance was taking place. But not until I returned later on Saturday, just as the doors were about to open and fans lined up around the corner did it start to become "real". The vibe was immediately different. The fact they did not issue tickets and you had to show ID to get in made sure the people there were the people who got lucky months earlier. No scalping, no reselling, if you wanted a ticket 6 months ago, you went. We met some cool people in line, chatting it up like you would with a life long friend. The understanding of why we were there was inherent, and despite never mentioning Jeff or the show, there were no pauses in the conversation. You were with friends. As we entered the church and found seats, I got nervous. I am not sure why, but the hour in the church before the show started coupled with the hour the opening act performed were stressful. Possibly similar to meeting an arranged spouse, or the more common comparison of meeting JD Salinger. Once Jeff came out, the intensity only built. Collective consciousness is a term I learned in a college course about government and had experienced in sports settings, but in sports, it often led to letdown. Maybe the fear of disappointment was where the nervousness came from. Or maybe it came from being scared for Jeff and a perceived sense of him being fragile and overwhelmed. Because lets face it, no one knew exactly what to expect from this man. But once the first note was played and I took that huge exhale which tingled throughout my entire body only happiness followed. Oh Comely was the opener and like the version on the album, it built as minute after minute passed without so much as a spare breath from Jeff. His voice resonated, sounding much stronger and purer than I could have imagined. He let out a sheepish grin almost immediately as if to say this was enjoyable for him as well. That too helped ease the crowd. As the show progressed the banter with the crowd was real. He answered a few questions with charm and wit, claiming they were fair questions. I even got into the mix later on asking him to please come play in Chicago. Yes I had come from Chicago, but I would have gone anywhere to hear those songs. At one point he implored the crowd to "fucking sing". There were no frills as the songs came feverishly one after another. This was about the music on this night, not about the baggage of years wondering whether this night would come. It was pure and real, not to make money or expand his reach. At this point in time, he wanted to be there to perform those songs. Sure other musicians want to perform, but this was far beyond that. This was cleansing. The hour flew by, the songs all meaningful. You could hear the proverbial pin drop and then feel the eruption of applause. He had to start playing another song to get the crowd quiet again before another round of admiration through our cheers. After 13 songs, one short encore, and more happiness than could be described, the show was over. It was exhausting as we just sat there as the lights came on. I needed a minute to sit and think for myself again after completely giving myself up the prior hour. Rarely can you just let go in life, there is too much going on to ever really be in any one moment. But that is what Jeff accomplished on this night. He got everyone to forget about the outside world, and just enjoy this rare time together.

Great post, shoes.

Sounds like an amazing night.

And, being in Chicago, myself, I really hope that he grants your request to come play here!

anyone attend the sanders theatre in cambridge last night? i can't believe how incredible that show was... definitely exceeding expectations!

I was there and thought it was fantastic. His voice sounds great. I was curious how some of the more elaborate songs would sound stripped down to solo acoustic but he did a great job with that.

My only complaint is that it was fairly short - 60 or 65 minutes including two encores.