Jeff Tweedy talks about New Album to Spin

Guest Speed Racer

Something like Being There meets Ghost is Born.

I would certainly like that, but something tells me that an album billed as "irreverant, obnoxious pop" is going to be about as far from A Ghost is Born as a Carpenters record.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly like that, but something tells me that an album billed as "irreverant, obnoxious pop" is going to be about as far from A Ghost is Born as a Carpenters record.

Yeah. Even though I'm excited for the new album, it doesn't sound like it's going to be that much different from the two that came before it.

the word "pop" can be used to describe pretty much anything. There is nothing "pop" about a 7 minute song. Being There and Summer Teeth are extremely poppy..so I don't know what you are all worried about. The problem with Wilco (the album) wasn't that it was poppy, it was because the lyrics felt soul less and forced. It was a big change from Sky Blue Sky which was much more personal and heartfelt. I know its not that popular on this board but Sky BLue Sky is one of my favorite records. Probably in my top 3, after YHF and GIB.

We are, but that's ok, I just disagree with the premise that art is only "good" if the so called artist uses proper technique and is critically acclaimed to be a genius.

I disagree with that, too. Strongly. Apparently, I'm not doing a good job making my point.

the word "pop" can be used to describe pretty much anything. There is nothing "pop" about a 7 minute song. Being There and Summer Teeth are extremely poppy..so I don't know what you are all worried about. The problem with Wilco (the album) wasn't that it was poppy, it was because the lyrics felt soul less and forced. It was a big change from Sky Blue Sky which was much more personal and heartfelt. I know its not that popular on this board but Sky BLue Sky is one of my favorite records. Probably in my top 3, after YHF and GIB.

I never thought the weakness of W(ta) was in the lyrics. In fact, I think it's a big step up from SBS.

7 minute pop songs exist, but not many Wilco songs that are 7 mins are what I would consider pop.

Not sure why everyone is so down on the idea of 20 new Wilco songs.

Assuming this lengthy song is lyrically driven, rather than a showpiece for soloing, I hope it'll be more like Like a Rolling Stone than Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.

Spiders (kidsmoke) is that a "pop" song? I don't think so.

When I think of Wilco Pop songs I think of "You and I", "Outta Site, Outta Mind", "Heavy Metal Drummer"...Not Impossible Germany or Company on My Back.

"Pop" is such a a broad, generic label that everyone applies it differently.

Assuming this lengthy song is lyrically driven, rather than a showpiece for soloing, I hope it'll be more like Like a Rolling Stone than Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.

I'm expecting more of a "jam" then all lyrics. Wilco songs have never been heavy on lyrics/new verses.

"Pop" is such a a broad, generic label that everyone applies it differently.

exactly what I said...the word "pop" can be used to describe anything. I like to think of it as "radio-friendly"

not that they play much Wilco on the Radio unless you listen to NPR or Sirius Spectrum.

I'm expecting more of a "jam" then all lyrics. Wilco songs have never been heavy on lyrics/new verses.

I thought Tweedy said it had tons of verses. Hopefully it'll be a good balance of lyrical and instrumetal sections.

I just want Nels CLine to rip loose, I feel likes he's kind of held back the last two records. The times when he does like in Impossible Germany and One Wing are my favorite parts of those albums. I know there is a minority that think Cline has "ruined" wilco...I disagree...I just think he needs to be given a little more freedom to experiment. His solo stuff is way out there.

I just want Nels CLine to rip loose, I feel likes he's kind of held back the last two records. The times when he does like in Impossible Germany and One Wing are my favorite parts of those albums. I know there is a minority that think Cline has "ruined" wilco...I disagree...I just think he needs to be given a little more freedom to experiment. His solo stuff is way out there.

I agree with this.

I would love to hear a Loose Fur-type project w/ Nels, Jeff, and Glenn. Maybe that's not just wishful thinking?

He's got plenty of freedom to experiment in all his other projects.

Guest Speed Racer

I would love to hear a Loose Fur-type project w/ Nels, Jeff, and Glenn. Maybe that's not just wishful thinking?

John could lend a lot to that project, IMO. They could call it Wilco, even.