Jeff Tweedy talks about New Album to Spin

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yusssssss.

"So far, Wilco have laid down some 20 tracks for the album, which has the working title of Get Well Soon Everybody. Tweedy says the material fits into two categories: experimental-leaning rock and "cinematic-sounding country music…you know, folk music."

"I do think it's a little bit more obnoxious and irreverent of a pop record than people have heard from us, maybe, ever," he says. "And that's exciting. But I have no doubt that the second this record becomes available there's somebody sitting in a basement at their computer with the word 'meh' already typed up, waiting to post a review."

Heh.

""Born Alone," meanwhile, starts as an up-tempo, synthed-out slab of power pop, with sharp chord changes that are similar to the group's 1999 song "Summer Teeth." Halfway through, however, it explodes into a thick, distorted wall of noise, with Tweedy and Cline's guitar chords descending to the subways."

Hearing this song solo I seriously can't imagine it sounding this way, but damn is it exciting.

meh.

stunned.gif

Smartass. :lol

"Wilco's eighth album won't be ready until September at the earliest, but the group will release a 7-inch single titled "I Might," backed, fittingly, by a cover of Nick Lowe's "I Love My Label" — the first release for their new imprint. It will be available at the band's Solid Sound Festival, taking place June 24-26 in North Adams, MA, with a wider release planned for July."

How funny is this...Wilco doing "I Love My Label" in celebration of their new label! Wonderful, wonderful! :cheers

Oh! Yes!

I love my label and my label loves me

For she's so good and kind together we will pave our destiny

My label always loves to hear some pretty chords for its records like these ones

She's always pleased to hear some of these pretty melodies so I sing 'em some

I love my label, I love my label yeah

And my label's got high hopes in me

Play the blues

Oh I'm so proud of them up here, we're one big happy family

I guess you could say I'm the poor relation of the parent company

They always ask for lots of songs of no more than 2:50 long so I write 'em some

They never talk behind my back and they're always playing my new tracks when I come along

and my label's got high hopes in me

and my label's got high hopes in me

:worship

It would be so cool to hear them do this song at Solid Sound! :rock

New-Year-Fireworks-Animation-01.gif

WOW! I wasn't expecting Tweedy to drop song descriptions on us. I had to run when this thread started and I saw the blurb and thought ok there's probably one more blurb and that's it.

Hmm. I am extremely excited now for Solid Sound and September though I don't want to rush into either.

I love every song description already. :thumbup

I wonder if he was giving out a shout out to VC regarding the "meh" comment. :ninja

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've said the "we might put out a double" thing before, and I'm not talking about Being There. Regardless, sounds like the songs fall into two camps, so maybe they can go the Paul Westerberg Stereo/Mono route. I'd accept that.

""Born Alone," meanwhile, starts as an up-tempo, synthed-out slab of power pop, with sharp chord changes that are similar to the group's 1999 song "Summer Teeth." Halfway through, however, it explodes into a thick, distorted wall of noise, with Tweedy and Cline's guitar chords descending to the subways."

Hearing this song solo I seriously can't imagine it sounding this way, but damn is it exciting.

If you had only heard "Spiders" solo, you could not imagine the full band version. And vice versa.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've said the "we might put out a double" thing before, and I'm not talking about Being There. Regardless, sounds like the songs fall into two camps, so maybe they can go the Paul Westerberg Stereo/Mono route. I'd accept that.

yeah, that would be cool if they could do a "2 sides of Wilco" thing... that way, everyone will have something to gripe about! ;)

yeah, that would be cool if they could do a "2 sides of Wilco" thing... that way, everyone will have something to gripe about! ;)

If Jeff is being accurate in saying the two sides are adventurous and folk... well, those are my two favorite sides of Wilco. I'd pay double for that double album.

I'm pumped for the new album.

I really hope it is better than the last couple...

Jeff said in his Strombo interview posted elsewhere that he's come to terms with the fact that new albums will never be as well received by fans as the older material is. He said that new material can't compete with the emotional investment and attachment that time affords the older stuff. So it's a given that many here will bitch and moan about the new album, while others, who are secure in the understanding of the greatness of this songwriter and this band, will sing the praises of the new material despite not having had the time to develop a deep emotional attachment to it. And on and on and on it goes.

Tweedy says the material fits into two categories: experimental-leaning rock and "cinematic-sounding country music…you know, folk music."

Dear JT,

I'd prefer to have my heart broken then my eardrums shredded at this point.

Ta.

I've learned from the last three never to know what to expect, even when the band members are feeling reflective on a yet to be released album. I've also learned that it's always a worthwhile adventure and there is something joyful in every Wilco record.

In other words.... I'm down for anything. Fun.

Actually two albums would be great. Separate the more adventuresome stuff for the hardcore and allow the more pop stuff for the rest. This is noe unlike what Andrew Bird did on his last outing.

I have very high hopes for this one.

LouieB