Jeff Tweedy talks about New Album to Spin

I really like Nels' description of the "magic" created at a show, that time/space that really is both outside and inside yourself. For me, there's nothing quite like the way, at a Wilco show, the music just washes over me and I get to become one with the songs that live inside my head and my heart. Sigh.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope they aren't composing 15-20 minute prog-rock suites. :lol

Why? Under the right circumstances some airing out of the band's chops could be really great. In fact proggy or not, I hope they do air it out really good. I think the band deserves this attention.

LouieB

Why? Under the right circumstances some airing out of the band's chops could be really great. In fact proggy or not, I hope they do air it out really good. I think the band deserves this attention.

LouieB

It was a joke man. I'd love to hear them just go nuts on this album, but I mean they're obviously not going to write something like '2112'. Wilco (The Album) was such a tight and compact album (and likewise, so were its songs) that I'd love to hear them let loose on this one, especially if it can capture the energy they bring to their live shows, ya know?

• 3 weeks later...
New Wilco Album Could be Ready for September Release

Chicago rock band Wilco is midway through mixing its eighth studio album, which may be ready for release in September, drummer Glenn Kotche said Monday during an interview about the band’s forthcoming Solid Sound Festival at MassMoCA in North Adams, Mass.

Wilco has been working since last year on the album, which singer Jeff Tweedy has said is tentatively titled “Get Well Soon Everybody.” Whatever the name, it's the follow-up to 2009's "Wilco (The Album)," which climbed to No. 4 on the Billboard 200 albums chart.

Kotche said there’s plenty of new material to choose from.

“There’s a lot of songs, and I don’t think any of us have a clear idea of what will make the record and what won’t, or how long the record will be,” Kotche said. “We’ll just have to see what works best together.”

Some of those songs could end up in the band’s set lists at Solid Sound, where Wilco plays two shows during the three-day festival, happening June 24-26. (Other performers include Levon Helm, Thurston Moore, Liam Finn, Johnny Irion & Sarah Lee Guthrie and the Handsome Family. More information, and the full lineup, is available here).

It’s the second version of Solid Sound, though Kotche wasn’t able to spend much time at the first one last August.

“Last year was a mixed experience for me, because my son was due that week,” he says. “I was actually only there for one day.”

Wilco’s new album will be the band’s first full-length release on its own record label, dBpm, which opened earlier this year in the Easthampton, Mass., office of Wilco’s manager, Tony Margherita.

http://www.localwireless.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=275&nid=49029493&cid=13873&scid=2784&ith=1&title=Sound+Check+by+Eric+Danton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are sweet. I hear some exciting sounds coming out too. Some kind of drony kraut-rock beast getting hatched and that "Open Up Your Mind" song Jeff has been playing solo.

Yeah, and I'm also loving the one called "Loft 2!"

Pretty sure that's Art Of Almost that the band is working on with Nels shredding. At least it fits the Spin description very well.

No idea what the song is on Loft 2.

Great find. These have been sitting around the net for 2 months and no one posted this? I wonder if the audio of these files will be used in the Fly On The Wall installation?

Pretty sure that's Art Of Almost that the band is working on with Nels shredding. At least it fits the Spin description very well.

No idea what the song is on Loft 2.

That's what song I was thinking, as well! And maybe the Loft 2 song is "Whole Love."

This version of the band is the longest coherent cohesion,correct? (that sounds like an album title,doesn"t it?) Tweedy should shed any kind grip on the music.....focus on the song writing......he's been lucky with the band members who have come and gone over the years.....the music will come....make it noisy.....please sound like you are havingg FUN!!!

-Robert

These videos are a treasure trove of awesomeness....

Some of this material sounds better than anything they've done in a long time. I hope they don't gloss it up too much.