Music in a foreign language? You listen to much?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was hoping for some of the Krautrock persuasion, but couldn't think of any...

Kraftwerk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eI3gCWL-sY&feature=fvst

Although, I think that a lot of their lyrics are in English.

Los Lobos has some great songs in songs Spanish - usually 1 or 2 songs per album (usually Cesar Rosas songs - I really prefer the Hidalgo/Perez songwriting team) - but especially their La Pistola y El Corazon album.

Mas Y Mas is a great rocker.

That is a great album. It's amazing that the one original song on there (the title track) holds up so well against all the great, classic folk tunes that make up the rest of the album.

I thought I had posted on this thread, but I guess I didn't. Hopefully I didn't post my response in some other thread and everyone's wondering WTF I'm going on about. :lol

Anyway, the only foreign language acts I listen to regularly are:

Dungen

Os Mutantes

Tinariwen

I usually get a couple things from the international section whenever I go to the library. Rokia Traore is one thing I got from the library that I enjoyed enough to burn. A lot of the stuff on Festival in the Desert was pretty great, too.

Falco?

Taco?

That reminds me of a Simpsons episode in which Willie Nelson was at an award show and said "Now to present the lifetime achievement award to Falco, ladies and gentlemen, Taco!" :yay

• 3 weeks later...

i saw two extremely fun non-English singing bands on Sunday, at the ATP that Animal Collective curated, over in Minehead, England.

The first was one I'm familiar w/ and have an LP (Group Doueh), and the other I had no idea about (Khaira Arby). both were really fun, great dancing and party music. During Arby's set, a couple of the singer/dancers from Doueh joined on stage for a song or two.

I do listen to a lot of the Japenese turntable/hip-hop artist 'DJ Krush'. He has been putting out great material for many years. He has worked with member of the Roots and DJ Shawdow but also a lot of Japenese vocalists and muscians. Japenese rapping can be pretty hardgoing tho!!

If anyone's interested the albums 'Zen' and 'Jako' are worth checking out.

• 4 months later...

Good to see this thread resurrected.

I'll add another of my favorite Brazilian artists to the list, Ronnie Von, particularly his late 60s to early 70s records:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYdWwSGTFc