remastered, re-packaged, deluxe, super legacy edition

Pavement really did a great job on their deluxe edition discs...i mean...an avg. of 50-60 songs per deluxe!

Agreed, they did it right and they aren't that expensive to boot. I have bought all the deluxe reissues brand new for under $15, which is great in my opinion. Sebadoh has also done a great job with their reissues too...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, they did it right and they aren't that expensive to boot. I have bought all the deluxe reissues brand new for under $15, which is great in my opinion. Sebadoh has also done a great job with their reissues too...

you like sebadoh?

• 2 months later...

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/nirvana-s-nevermind-reissue-to-include-unreleased-1005293612.story

Nirvana's sophomore album and major label debut, "Nevermind," celebrates its 20th anniversary next month, and Universal Music Enterprises is re-releasing versions of the album with deluxe editions, exclusive content and more on Sept. 27.

Released in Sept. 1991, "Nevermind" has sold more than 30 million copies and spent 253 weeks on the Billboard 200 chart, peaking at No. 1.

The re-release includes configurations ranging from a standard digital/CD remaster of the original album to a 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition, with unreleased recordings, obscure B-sides, alternate mixes, radio sessions, studio rarities, and live recordings.

The limited numbered Super Deluxe also features the first full official release of the pre-"Nevermind" demos recorded at producer Butch Vig's Smart Studios as well as boombox recordings of subsequent rehearsals and the "Devonshire Mixes": the album as produced and mixed by Vig as opposed to the commercially released final version produced by Vig and mixed by Andy Wallace.

The Super Deluxe also comes with a DVD, featuring all four music videos from "Nevermind," a pair of previously unreleased BBC recordings and the Live Halloween 1991 concert at Seattle's Paramount Theatre, as well as a stunning 90-page bound book full of rare photos, documents and more.

The "Nevermind" reissue is also available as a 2-CD Deluxe Edition, a 4-LP 180-gram heavyweight vinyl edition, a remastered CD of the original album and digital versions of the standard, Deluxe, and Super Deluxe Editions

the bump got me to read this thread.

as far as van morrison goes, i didn't know HE cancelled the remaster project. too back. i would love to check out some of his stuff from the late 80s up to present day. there's always a gem or two on each album. as far as his work at taking stuff offline, i applaud him. this shows that bands and labels can keep their stuff off line if they want. investing in that instead of suing customers may have been the way to go.

as far as reissues go, right, some are good and some are bad. i enjoyed some of the remixed CDs that have come out in the last few years (genesis, PJ 10). i wish some bands would remix their shitty sounding 80s albums...neil young, yes, bruce, rush. that being said, it is very very rare for me to actually like an outtake. however, i always get sucked in. i'm kind of pissed about the itunes bonus track situation that occurred with wilco-the album and the new one. usually, their outtakes are pretty good...kicking TV, Dark Neon.

I'm enjoying the Mercury Rev 'Deserter's Songs' deluxe edition. The bonus disc is interesting but it is nice to hear the album remastered and sounding even more beautiful than ever.

Looking forward to the two-disc 'Sophtware Slump' that is out in a few weeks. Hopefully Grandaddy will, if the interest is high, do this with their other records as they always had tons of b-sides etc kicking around.

....and what would Cobain feel about the idea of the super-deluxe four disc edition of Nevermind. Not much.

1582043.jpg

Perhaps I should be embarrassed, but I just picked up the 30th Anniversary deluxe addition. Haven't listened to this since the early 80s. Lots of REO was played around my house in the late 70s/early 80's - dumb older sisters. :rolleyes Should be fun to hear it again.

1582043.jpg

Perhaps I should be embarrassed, but I just picked the 30th Anniversary deluxe addition. Haven't listened to this since the early 80s. Lots of REO was played around my house in the late 70s/early 80's - dumb older sisters. :rolleyes Should be fun to hear it again.

I guess you have to roll with the changes.

....and what would Cobain feel about the idea of the super-deluxe four disc edition of Nevermind. Not much.

Don't know why people use this reasoning whenever posthumous Nirvana releases come up. Nirvana released plenty of b-sides/live/miscellaneous bootleg counters while he was alive, so I have a hard time believing we wouldn't have gotten reissues like this and Bleach's if he were still alive. All these supposed examples of Courtney/Universal ruining Kurt's legacy have some damn good material, so I'm glad they exist.

I'm pretty psyched for that box set. Mostly for the original mix of the album, but the other odds and ends are intriguing as well, even if I have most of the Nevermind singles/b-sides already. And live Nirvana is hard to top, so that'll be worth hearing.

But I'm even more psyched that this means an In Utero reissue is on the horizon. Easily my favorite of the three.

Queen 40 Limited Edition Collector's Box Set

The rest are coming out in June.

I've actually gotten annoyed with the Queen releases. It seems like every year they're rereleasing some greatest hits package or some boxed set. I thought the rereleased and remastered versions from the early '90s always sounded fine. I wish what they would have done recently was to release a collection with all of the bonus tracks from the early 90's reissues and the new bonus tracks as a rarities boxed set. now that I would have picked up. it would have been a nice companion to the Platinum Collection.

The Pavement reissues that Matador has put out have been pretty nice. I'm still waiting on that deluxe edition of Terror Twilight guys.

The owner of the local record store said he thinks The Kinks must be planning some sort of Reissues at this point. He is not even stocking old kinks now, something about them not being on catalog (or something like that).

The owner of the local record store said he thinks The Kinks must be planning some sort of Reissues at this point. He is not even stocking old kinks now, something about them not being on catalog (or something like that).

Actually, the first 3 albums(Kinks,Kinda Kinks, The Kink Kontroversy have already been reissued, as i've already got 'em and I hear that more are planned for the future. A Legacy Edition 3 disc uk import of Villiage Green Preservation society(I've got that one, too) was put out a few years ago.

EDIT: Face To Face, Something Else, and Arthur have now come out as well, apparently in just the past month. A muswell Hillbillies deluxe reissue is planned, but i don't see it on amazon yet.

Muswell Hillbillies:

2004 - Velvel / VEL-SC-79801 / SACD Remastered Bonus Tracks

1. "20th Century Man" – 5:57

2. "Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues" – 3:32

3. "Holiday" – 2:40

4. "Skin and Bone" – 3:39

5. "Alcohol" – 3:35

6. "Complicated Life" – 4:02

7. "Here Come the People in Grey" – 3:46

8. "Have a Cuppa Tea" – 3:45

9. "Holloway Jail" – 3:29

10. "Oklahoma U.S.A." – 2:38

11. "Uncle Son" – 2:33

12. "Muswell Hillbilly" – 4:58

13. "Mountain Woman" (Bonus track on 1998 reissue) – 3:08

14. "Kentucky Moon" (Bonus track on 1998 reissue) – 3:57

Actually, the first 3 albums(Kinks,Kinda Kinks, The Kink Kontroversy have already been reissued, as i've already got 'em and I hear that more are planned for the future. A Legacy Edition 3 disc uk import of Villiage Green Preservation society(I've got that one, too) was put out a few years ago.

EDIT: Face To Face, Something Else, and Arthur have now come out as well, apparently in just the past month. A muswell Hillbillies deluxe reissue is planned, but i don't see it on amazon yet.

Good info, thanks. It was actually Arthur I was looking for when I talked to the guy. I'll stop in and see what they have now.

i'm pretty sure rush is going to re-release their catalog. alex has said that Vapor Trails will be remixed. that would be interesting.

All the old albums have been re-mastered and re-released once already.

I've also heard that they may eventually remix Vapor Trails and re-release it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen....an 'Uber Deluxe Edition' is upon us. U2 are rereleasing Achtung Baby in a variety of 'Editions' This 'Uber' edition will set you back £270. Not sure what that is in $$......but its loads.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Achtung-Baby-20th-Anniversary-Deluxe/dp/B005FVA63A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1313186577&sr=8-7

Cash in now Honey. Cash in.

Quadrophiena (boxset)

A stunning ‘Director’s Cut’ of the landmark 1973 album produced, authorised and overseen by Pete Townshend.

After the 1971 album ‘Who’s Next’, Pete Townshend returned to the ‘rock-opera’ concept, so dramatically realised through ‘Tommy’, with another ambitious double-album masterpiece. Based around the story of Jimmy – QUADROPHENIA tells the tale of a young mod and his struggle to come of age in the mid-1960s.The story also takes its influence from the band’s early fans from the original mod era, and its themes of teenage angst and disaffection still resonate strongly today.

The project was intended to reflect the four characters of The Who and features some of Townshend’s most inspired, personal song-writing - way ahead of its time in scope and purpose.

This is one of the most widely recognised albums of The Who’s career because of its classic depiction of mod culture, its renowned imagery and the magnificent music and powerful performances.

The album is hugely significant in popular culture, influencing many other artists, musicians and film-makers – inspiring the classic 1979 British film by Franc Roddam and the UK ‘mod revival’ of the 1970s.

“This 2011 revisit to The Who’s 1973 Quadrophenia recording is inspired by current and continuing interest in the project,” explains Townshend. “The Who performed a concert version of the piece at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010 for the Teenage Cancer Trust with excellent reviews, and the success of that event led to the prospect of a Who tour in 2012 based on the album. The last such tour was between 1996-1997.”

The album is scheduled for release via Universal Music Catalogue on November 14th, 2011. The box set gives a unique insight into the creation of this landmark album and will feature a re-master of the original double album, Pete Townshend’s previously unheard demos including songs that didn’t make it onto the original album, an exclusive eight track 5.1 sound DVD, a deluxe hard-back book, previously unseen personal notes, photographs, memorabilia and other exclusive material that will be announced over the coming months.

‘Quadrophenia: The Director’s Cut’ will be the definitive version of the album and a must for any self-respecting fan of The Who and beyond.

To accompany the box set, double vinyl, 2-disc digi-pak and digital versions will also be released.

Got that Who email today, too. Probably won't get the deluxe, already spent too much money on other stuff this year. It looks great though, it's a great album.

I am about 100 pages into Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend.