Solid Sound a new twist

It's just a few weeks away, sort of excited, but sort of sad for me. I've mentioned before that I'm a long time fan, I even had the pleasure of catching an Uncle Tupelo show in '91. My wife never really cared about them, until she finally "got it" at the Hartford show last spring (we've been together since '92). In the last year we did Solid Sound and a few Tweedy shows, we really bonded over Wilco, in a way it became "our" thing, I was excited to finally share such a significant part of my life with her. Two weeks ago she tells me it's over, she wants a divorce. So here's the deal, for SS this year we were going to bring the kids and friends of ours and their kids. The wife and I are are actually still friends (it's complicated) and when we told the kids 8, 9 & 12 about the divorce the very first question they asked (I'm not kidding) was "Are we still going to Wilcofest?" We've been trying to make that work for them, we even booked a third site at the Hidden Valley campgrounds, yesterday she tells me she's out, she can't do it. Well I can't do a weekend long camping/Rock festival alone with the kids, so they're out, now my friends are backing out too. Bottom line is I have 3 campsites and 5 tickets for Solid Sound. I'm still thinking of going, I'm sure it'll be an emotional thing for me, but at the same time it will be a clearing of my mind and a reclaiming of Tweedy/Wilco as "mine".

Sorry to hear about everything. Hope you can sell some campsites and tickets and make it work for you. I just traveled solo for that last mini tour and had a great time with fans I had never met before.

Good luck and have a great time. Reclaim Wilco

Geez, sorry to hear... sounds rough. It's too bad you don't feel able to take the kids to the festival alone -- could be a good dad-only bonding thing for you -- but I understand it must be pretty crazy in your world right now. Best of luck.

So sorry to hear this. I remember that a picture of you and your wife was used in some kind of publicity about Solid Sound, too--can't remember the details.

Anyway, if there's any way you can make it this year, you should come. I went solo last year and made all kinds of new friends. It's a different experience from going as part of a couple, I think--you just open yourself up more to meeting new people. I don't know you personally, of course, but I agree with Attacks above--you never know what might happen, and if nothing else being around that much good music and that many good vibes will be therapeutic!

So sorry to hear about all you are going through. It sounds rough in your world right now.

A weekend with Wilco might be a good thing - a sonic shoulder, you know? It can be hard to camp with kids alone, but I wonder if bringing the kids might be a good thing, particularly if they have been looking forward to it. I am bringing three (ages 12, 12, and 8) solo.

Just a wonder.

My heart goes out to you and your children.

So sorry to hear about all you are going through. It sounds rough in your world right now.

A weekend with Wilco might be a good thing - a sonic shoulder, you know? It can be hard to camp with kids alone, but I wonder if bringing the kids might be a good thing, particularly if they have been looking forward to it. I am bringing three (ages 12, 12, and 8) solo.

Just a wonder.

My heart goes out to you and your children.

It's a thought, I just remember some of the crowds and the way we were cattle herded through the museum, not to mention those stairs down to the dungeon for the indoor bathrooms. I think my wife might take them camping at a local beach/campsite weekend.