September Gurls vs. Waterloo Sunset

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

• Big Star - September Gurls
    • The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset

Impossible to choose.

This. Love them both too much to chose.

Nobody loves Big Star more than I do, but the answer is "Waterloo Sunset."

No question. Waterloo Sunset is one of the best songs ever written. September Gurls pales in comparison. The words, the tune, the sentiment. All perfect!!

September gurls do so much

I was your butch and you were touched

I loved you well never mind

I've been crying all the time

December boys got it bad.

September gurls I don't know why

how can I deny what's inside

even thought I keep away

maybe we'll love all our days.

When I get to bed

late at night

that's the time

she makes things right

ooh when she makes luv to me

vs.

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling

Flowing into the night

People so busy, makes me feel dizzy

Taxi light shines so bright

But I don't need no friends

As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset

I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window

But chilly, chilly is evening time

Waterloo sunset's fine

Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station

Every Friday night

But I am so lazy, don't want to wander

I stay at home at night

But I don't feel afraid

As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset

I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window

But chilly, chilly is evening time

Waterloo sunset's fine

Millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground

But Terry and Julie cross over the river

Where they feel safe and sound

And they don't need no friends

As long as they gaze on Waterloo sunset

They are in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

September Gurls is a great sounding song, but lyrically...not so great...Waterloo sunset tells a wonderful story with great images.

LouieB

>September Gurls is a great sounding song

That's why it wins for me. I'll take the overall sound and groove over lyrics, as long as they're not pathetically horrible like a bad Warrant song.

I'm glad to see that most of you are having as much trouble as me : )

I would definitely say that the lyrics in Waterloo and superior. However, imo Chilton's vocal is more affecting and SG has a better chorus. So I still don't think it's clear cut.

EDIT: Well, actually WS does have a great chorus too. But the guitars in SG are so goddamn catchy.

Jon Brion says that if there is one song he wished he had written it would be Waterloo Sunset. A great song can be sung by anyone and still retain it's majesty. WS is one of those songs. Any two bit guitar slinger can fire it up and catch people's attention. It has this wonderful tension and atmosphere. It stands on its own in any setting with great tune and words and doesn't need much else.

LouieB

I love SG, but WS wins, and heresy though it may be, I prefer Elliott Smith singing it. Just affects me more.

The question is which is the better song, not which is the better record. Waterloo Sunset can be sung effectively by any number of singers because it is a great song; September Gurls is not widely covered and the references to what a great song it is are mostly to the recording made by Big Star itself. (Can anyone name a cover of it??) There are some clear glitches on the original Kinks recording, but the over all effect of the song is still pretty powerful. Much of what we all like about the Big Star song is the excellent production and arrangement. SG was recorded from 1974 after Alex Chilton had already been a fairly sucessful rock star and learned alot about production. WS is from 1967 and frankly there are still some rough patches in the Kinks recordings during the Reprise years. (In the original recording the transition to the chorus/bridge is a somewhat awkward.) Alex Chilton was enamored of groups like the Kinks and channeling the British invasion, and with the extra years of recording experience that working with Dan Penn as producer of the Box Tops afforded him, he was quite the studio master on his BS recordings.

No matter how many times I hear the "song" Waterloo Sunset (sung by just about anyone) I get goosebumps. There are just such wonderful turn arounds in it.

Sorry to belabor these points, but this is an intersting topic to discuss.

LouieB

The question is which is the better song, not which is the better record. Waterloo Sunset can be sung effectively by any number of singers because it is a great song; September Gurls is not widely covered and the references to what a great song it is are mostly to the recording made by Big Star itself. (Can anyone name a cover of it??)

The Bangles did a great version of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_zOdfVBMM

That is a good version. (Thanks for reminding me..i do have this in my collection.) They also kicked ass on Paul Simon's Hazy Shade of Winter. (another song that stands up to cover versions...)

The Bangles are one of the great cover bands of all time...

LouieB