I Might gets a review in Rolling Stone

I understand all of that. Especially as it relates to movies. However, not everyone has the ability to see whatever they want whenever they want. They have to pick and choose and reviews from trusted critics become a convenient way to help many people cull their entertainment choices.

Music criticism works in a similar fashion. For instance, I read reviews of almost every album that comes out each week from multiple sources. I don't pay much attention to the ratings, but it is highly beneficial as a way of understanding what albums I may like and what I don't need to bother with based on the descriptions of the music.

I read reviews both immediately and after the fact. Often times I'll go back and read reviews of records that I really like long after it's been out. Wilco is a perfect example for me. I started with Being There after it popped up in a "similar to" listing for something else I had purchased, I read the review, bought it, and was instantly hooked.

Shortly afterwards I bought up most everything else in their catalog and immersed myself in those recordings. Only a year or so ago, after I'd lived with my own interpretations/understanding of the music for several years did I go back and dig up old reviews of a few records, hoping to possibly gain some new insights or read something that I hadn't heard about before. And I did.

You don't tweet, do you?

Sorry, but I thought that you guys liked to read reviews. It's ok. Harry Potter will do fine and you'll be ok too.

I understand all of that. Especially as it relates to movies. However, not everyone has the ability to see whatever they want whenever they want. They have to pick and choose and reviews from trusted critics become a convenient way to help many people cull their entertainment choices.

Music criticism works in a similar fashion. For instance, I read reviews of almost every album that comes out each week from multiple sources. I don't pay much attention to the ratings, but it is highly beneficial as a way of understanding what albums I may like and what I don't need to bother with based on the descriptions of the music.

I agree with the financial mentality, but I would have to assume that if someone likes what the trailer offers then that person will see it. Likewise, I understand that a great film may have a shitty trailer. Either way, people should have their own shitometer (or things that they'd never pay to see).

For me, I now sneak into forums and jot down band names and album names and seek them out. I used to do what you do, but I sometimes couldn't shake off preconceived notions about certain bands. The negativity seems to linger a lot longer than the positivity.

Were tapers present?

I said that it was the other night. Not 2 weeks ago.