I Might gets a review in Rolling Stone

The only thing more annoying than dad rock jokes are jokes making fun of dad rock jokes.

Heh...

This band has lived with more idiotic labels than any band should ever have to.

The only thing more annoying than dad rock jokes are jokes making fun of dad rock jokes.

Review I read today of 'I Might' in an Australian mag called it 'garage rock - for those with a Prius in their garage'. Kind of insulting, kind of amusing.

Review I read today of 'I Might' in an Australian mag called it 'garage rock - for those with a Prius in their garage'. Kind of insulting, kind of amusing.

Link?

YES.

Heh...

This band has lived with more idiotic labels than any band should ever have to.

YES.

Oh, how creative. Stuff like that is written more for the writer himself and his music critic buddies. He must be so pleased with himself.

Guest Speed Racer

It seems to be getting a lot of positive press. Pitchfork had a review of it the other day, too.

Sometimes I play a game where, before I click on a Pitchfork review, I jot down a list of words I expect to see in the review. For this one, I wrote:

kraut/rock

Beach Boys

aging

and was rewarded with:

motorik

summery

growing old

Sometimes I play a game where, before I click on a Pitchfork review, I jot down a list of words I expect to see in the review. For this one, I wrote:

kraut/rock

Beach Boys

aging

and was rewarded with:

motorik

summery

growing old

This. :worship

The Riverfront Times took an interesting approach in their review:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2011/06/wilco_new_song_i_might.php

If the link doesn't work...

​There's a new Wilco song out, and every music-blogger in America who discovered indie music via Yankee Hotel Foxtrot about ten years ago has already prepared to react. I have done my best to save you a little time by writing every possible review of this track, "I Might," you might encounter on the internet.

Before that: Listen to it! It's really good, like most of the songs Wilco has released since people began arguing about them in the form of internet capsule reviews!

1. Disappointed A Ghost Is Born fan with Dad-Rock issues. Hey Dad! How do you like Wilco's latest, "I Might," a piece of Dad Rock so Dad Rock-y that Jeff Tweedy's primary influence appears to have been that scene in I Love Lucy where Ricky Ricardo realizes he's become a dad while he's wearing makeup as racially insensitive in 2011 as my dad can sometimes be!? Wilco's latest is like if your dad had an acoustic guitar and he whispered things about being a dad into your ear instead of running out on my mom first chance he got after her deeply introspective avant-garde rock album failed to consolidate the commercial gains she made after 2001's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot! If you listen to it a mustache will grow on your face spontaneously and tickle my goddam ear like some kind of creep!

2. Disappointed A.M. fan with Son Volt issues. "I Might" is a delightful old-time tune and perhaps Wilco's best since Jeff Tweedy hailed me one evening at a Belleville juke joint round one in the morning. "Hoss," he said, "Come here, as I reckon I have something for you."

I should have known then what something was amiss, but I went up to old Jeff and it was then what he stabbed me right in the front with a hot knife and left me to rot on the hard ground. Last thing I saw as I's bleeding out was Jay Bennett, diddling some upper-middle-class melodies on a rainbow-colored keytar. Next week, why, I reckon Summerteeth came out and everything was different.

3. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart pre-orderer with Comeback Album issues in 2011. Well we all know that Wilco (the Album) wasn't Wilco's best album, but "I Might" looks like the band's best work ever! Even better than "Jesus, Etc.," which I can send you, if you haven't heard it before. I have it on my computer, back in Marina City.

3a. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart pre-orderer with Comeback Album issues in 2009. Well we all know that Sky Blue Sky wasn't Wilco's best album, but "You Never Know" and "Wilco (the Song)" look like the band's best work ever! Even better than "Heavy Metal Drummer," which is the song that inspired me to become a heavy metal drummer and then develop a deep and real nostalgia about that time in my life!

3b. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart pre-orderer with Comeback Album issues in 2004. No, guys, I totally love "Spiders (Kidsmoke)," it's just I don't know if I like ten minute robot-jamz as much as I do "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," which is the song that inspired me to try to break your heart.

4. Wilco fan with Summerteeth issues. Look, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is good, I totally agree, it's just not as good as Summerteeth, which I knew about way before everyone else in my dorm even had Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

5. 18-year-old who wasn't in college when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out and doesn't quite get why all his older co-bloggers are freaking out about it, with mp3 blog issues. Latest from old people who don't know how great v-neck t-shirts are. There's a guitar in it but I don't know.

I still don't get why people need to read so many reviews. Who really cares what some rock critic thinks? I enjoy the song and I'm sure that you either do or you don't. I don't need to sit down and read a rock critic who uses a template with a mad lib strategy of nauseating adjectives and adverbs that only certain people use in that profession.

I can kind of understand following the narrative of how a band gets criticism upon a new release, but it feels like someone else's version of a soap opera. "Oh, I can't believe that they didn't like this album, but really liked that other that I hated. What were they thinking?!" It goes around and around. Trust me. It is so much better when you skip this type of bullshit and just enjoy the music on your own and kind of really care about what the fans have to say. That being said I still very much enjoy Wilco (The Album) despite the common consensus. :P

Guest Speed Racer

You're on a board dedicated to reading and responding to random thoughts about crap and you're musing about why people would want to read and/or respond to random thoughts about crap?

You're on a board dedicated to reading and responding to random thoughts about crap and you're musing about why people would want to read and/or respond to random thoughts about crap?

The one thing that I left out was a biggie: You really can't discuss things with a rock critic. I'm assuming they all have a place to post a comment, but how many people do they respond to?

Now around here you can discuss things and have a two way conversation. To me that's much better.

Guest Speed Racer

The one thing that I left out was a biggie: You really can't discuss things with a rock critic.

Discussing a rock review is no different than discussing a movie, right? Or a movie review? And you've done that before here plenty of times.

If it exists (and even if it doesn't), you can discuss it. Whatever "it" is.

Discussing a rock review is no different than discussing a movie, right? Or a movie review? And you've done that before here plenty of times.

If it exists (and even if it doesn't), you can discuss it. Whatever "it" is.

Yes. But the majority of the movie reviews in Now Watching are from people's perspectives on this board. This thread has turned into a collection of reviews from music critics of one 4 minute single. I'm just surprised that people want to read so many reviews about something that they should already have an opinion about. Because as we mentioned the way they write about music seems so strange and ego inflating. Guaranteed they sit at their desk with a Roget's Thesaurus to come up with some of those words.

And a film review is a bit different. The majority of film reviews spend too much time discussing the plot which makes the film seem less exciting when you see it which is why I stopped reading reviews about 5 years ago.

I'm sure that some song off of The Whole Love will be called "mercurial".

Edit: I guess to put it in better perspective: I am just surprised that more people are spending time discussing what the critics think than having a discussion on what they think of I Might. I feel like we did at some point, but it was very short lived.

AND I am so far removed from reading reviews that I was shocked that a magazine even reviews a single.

Yes. But the majority of the movie reviews in Now Watching are from people's perspectives on this board. This thread has turned into a collection of reviews from music critics of one 4 minute single. I'm just surprised that people want to read so many reviews about something that they should already have an opinion about. Because as we mentioned the way they write about music seems so strange and ego inflating. Guaranteed they sit at their desk with a Roget's Thesaurus to come up with some of those words.

And a film review is a bit different. The majority of film reviews spend too much time discussing the plot which makes the film seem less exciting when you see it which is why I stopped reading reviews about 5 years ago.

I'm sure that some song off of The Whole Love will be called "mercurial".

Edit: I guess to put it in better perspective: I am just surprised that more people are spending time discussing what the critics think than having a discussion on what they think of I Might. I feel like we did at some point, but it was very short lived.

AND I am so far removed from reading reviews that I was shocked that a magazine even reviews a single.

Still not sure why you think reading/discussing reviews and enjoying something on your own are mutually exclusive activities.

Still not sure why you think reading/discussing reviews and enjoying something on your own are mutually exclusive activities.

As I have stated in the past, I have come across too many people who won't touch certain things because they read a bad review for it. The same thing goes for people who read a positive review for something and end up not liking it thinking that the reviews were way off base. They are all basing their perceptions around someone else's without the knowledge of just passing on any criticism and going into everything fresh with your own open mind. I don't need to read 15 film reviews of something that I liked, didn't like or felt indifferent about to change my perception of what I saw or heard. If I wanted to do that, I would go see it again or listen to it again.

A friend and I argued about Super 8 the other night. He didn't like it much at all because the reviews made it out to be "super great" and he thought it was just ok. I asked him how much of the plot did they give away and he didn't give me a straight answer. I then asked him if he ever thought about giving up reading reviews and just seeing it on his own. Again, he didn't really respond to that question either. The more that we keep discussing this sort of thing, the more that I can't get over that people actually read a review of something for something that they haven't experienced yet. It's kind of like wearing training wheels.

Now, in this thread it seems like a lot of us have been poking fun at these reviews and not making much out of it. So it almost seems like a guilty pleasure without putting much stock into it.