The Head and the Heart

I saw The Head and the Heart for the third time this summer last night at the Hideout. The previous two were as openers: first for Iron and Wine at Pritzker, then for the Decemberists at Aragon. After both shows, my wife and i agreed the opener was better. For the Millenium Park show, I went because I go to almost all the free Monday night shows there. I have never loved Iron and Wine, but judging by the huge crowd that night, others do. Still The Head and the Heart was better. The Decemberists however are one of my favorite bands. For the opener to upstage them was a bit of a surprise and led me to really want to attend their Hideout Show.

And it did not disappoint. It was a fantastic show full of energy and excellent harmonies. They have the slow and soft to rockout (one of my favorite Wilco features) down pat. They seem genuine in their love of performing and appreciating the crowd response.

They are based in Seattle, have been together about 2 years and are now on Sub Pop. And since their approach is a "grass roots" type thing (limited marketing, focus on word of mouth) I wanted to alert the VC population to check them out.

I've been listening to their album quite a bit lately and like it a lot.

I'm not a Pitchfork fan by any means (we tend to disagree more often than not), but their 3.8 review of the album was enough to make me ignore this album for a while. I eventually decided to look them up on MOG and I'm glad I did. Im really into the sweet, melodic, folky stuff lately and they fit into that category quite nicely. I'd definitely like to see them live sometime.

I've enjoyed the record. very pleasant and mostly strong songs. nothing amazing but solid

as for pitchfork, i ask myself why? I go there almost 3 to 4 times a week for music news and i've noticed in the last month i have about a 10% success rate of ever hearing of the bands on the record reviews. I consider myself pretty in tune and at least could have heard of the bands, this is getting crazy and just stupid.

I heard them open for Iron and Wine at Pritzker - they did sound good. The wife and I enjoyed their set and meant to seek out their stuff - then of course, we didn't. Thanks for the reminder.

besides 3-4 songs i haven't been able to get into the album (that first song is especially cringeworthy), but saw them play an acoustic in-store as a 3-piece that was pretty decent, but their set opening for Iron & Wine was pretty damn great.

Gotta agree with nodep5 on both points. I saw their Record Day performance and was hooked, though I didn't think any of the other songs were as strong as Lost in My Mind. And even that one gets a little awkward before the late song buildup.

If they can improve the material for album two, then they'll really have something. Their harmonies and performance energy are great.

And as for Pitchfork - it is getting ridiculous. I have about 8 other blogs that I check first now. A song is good because it is well written, not because of how obscure/weird/trendy it is, and how much cred you can claim for hearing it first.

(disclaimer - I still havent changed my sig - they were right about that).

I agree the album is good not great, but way way better then Pitchfork would want us to believe.

It is the power and energy of their live performance which caught my attention and which has hooked me on this band for the time being. I will say the one new song performed at the Hideout was pretty good.

I would still rather see a great live performance with a decent album then the other way around.