Message from Mid-Bar

Just thought I'd start a discussion about this song. I listened to it about four times on my way home from work today. It's really grown on me. There are parts of the verses that remind me of the verses on Whiter Shade of Pale. It has a great country feel and the chaotic break down near the end is cool. Anyway, just thought it should have a thread.

• 2 months later...

For some reason I'd never listened to the bonus disc more than once -- got it out last week and became smitten by Message from Mid-Bar. It has a soul sound (aside from the steel guitar) that I don't recall hearing in a Wilco song before. It's been in my head constantly since about the third listen...

More on bonus disc: I also prefer the alt take of Black Moon, without the strings. The percussion stands out so much more. That clinking metal sound reminds me of some kind of cowboy's spur, as he's gimping along the black dunes.

Took the time this morning to read all the lyrics. Very cynical and humorously bleak. Just how I like my Tweedy.

"I hate you less/Than the rest" fits cynical and dark humor very well.

I like the song overall, but for some reason the word "swine" gets in my way. It fits well rhyme-wise, and I get the idea in using the word, but something about it seems to break the otherwise smooth lyrically flow. It stands out in the way that "piss and blood" does in "I Might," though not as gross. Maybe that's the point, though.

The first time I heard the line "And I told you in my arms I hate you less than the rest," I knew immediately that it was a classic Jeff Tweedy lyric. Over-the-top comedic genius, very Morrissey-like. Great lines like that seemed to be in short supply on The Whole Love IMO.