Do you want to talk about.....I didn't think so!!

OKay so here is the deal. Some of us have records by musicians that fell out of fashion, died awhile back or simplly weren't that famous to begin with. In other cases there are more famous musicians that simply aren't that interesting to contemporary listeners.

I have been thinking about this thread for some time, too long really, so when this one peters out I may quit. Being older, I have collected a large number of albums by older artists and many of them really aren't that interesting even to me anymore.

Please do not post up any of the regulars here; no Kinks, no NIck Drake, no Beach Boys, no Mott the Hoople, etc. If someone actually is interested in any of these folks they can chime in.

Okay so as promised here are a whole bunch of folks artists that were popular at one time, but now pretty much out of style.

Tom Paxton

Tom Rush

John Hartford

Tim Buckley

Tim Hardin

Bob Gibson

Hamilton Camp

Richard and Mimi Farina

Eric Anderson

Chad Mitchell Trio

Ian and Sylvia

Janis Ian

Steve Goodman

Judy Collins

Peggy Seeger

Paul Butterfield

Buffie Sainte-Marie

Jim Kweskin (Jug Band)

The Weavers

Theodore Bikel

Hazel and Alice

John Hartford

Peter Paul and Mary

Kate and Anna McGarrigle

Gordon Lightfoot

The Brothers Four

The Limelighters

The Kingston Trio

Bonnie Koloc

Seigal-Schwall Blues Band

Joni Mitchell

The New Chrity Minstrals

Joan Baez (I know everyone hates her...)

Cisco Houston

Blues Project

Dave Bromberg

Harry Belafonte

Doc Watson

Odetta

Oh yea...Phil Ochs

See?? Really who the fuck wants to talk about these old cats? Just about no one.(Yup I got LPs by everyone of these groups, in some cases lots of them.)

LouieB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, that's an impressive list of forgotten names there. I'll bite.

A few years ago a friend introduced me to John Hartford's music. Pure, sweet and beautiful. A wonderful soul. Such tasteful, unobtrusive banjo playing.

"You worry the morning, the worry the night

you worry for something that's not yet in sight

your worry is rotten, your head is on fire

and you'd better untangle your mind..."

John Hartford was a wonderful musician. I still buy his LPs when I see them. Recently I was asked to loan some LPs for an exhibit about Amazingrace, a long gone club in Evanston. I once saw Hartford play his face and head for what must have been 15 minutes. So in addition to being a great guitar, banjo, and fiddle player, as well as doing clog dancing on an elecrified board, he could also play music on his head. That ain't something you see every day.

Hartford made his name and fortune with Gentle on my Mind, still one of the great songs of all times and then just went quietly on his way making quirky music after that. Great musician.

The wonderful thing about old folk records...they are cheap cheap cheap in general.

LouieB

Gordon Lightfoot...72 years old and STILL on the road. He blew throught the DFW area a couple of years ago.

I had some of his folkie stuff from the 60's (The Canadian Railroad trilogy is magnificent).

He had a really odd revival in the mid-70's with some pretty significant top 40 success: Sundown (a really menacing song of longing and jealousy) was written about Kathy Smith (the chick who was heavily involoved with John Belushi's overdose death); Carefree Highway; Rainy Day People; and the oddest top 40 single of ALL TIME The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

He had a really odd revival in the mid-70's with some pretty significant top 40 success: Sundown (a really menacing song of longing and jealousy) was written about Kathy Smith (the chick who was heavily involoved with John Belushi's overdose death);

That IS one bitter song! There was a rap remake of it a few years ago and the rap style fit the lyrics better than Lightfoot's easy sounding style.

My husband, who was all about rock and heavy metal in the '70s, now confesses to having always been a "closet Gorden Lightfoot fan." :ninjatorch

This one brings back a lot of memories c. 1974

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rR7E6NfY4

It is amazing to think that someone could have a hit single with a song about a real ship wreck, not all that long after it actually happened. You don't hear stuff like that anymore.

LouieB

that and the fact that it is so much a keening folk song at heart. I wonder if it was the guitar riff that people really remember.

Anyway, Gordon Lightfoot is a true gem, the very fact that he was able to fully crossover as a folk act really speaks to the strength of his songcraft and wonderful voice.

I don't want to hijack this thread...but I really LOVE Gordon Lightfoot. He was my first entry into 'serious' music.

Count me in as a Gordon Lightfoot fan. :)

Also, I don't know much about David Bromberg (although I have know his name forever), but I heard a song on the radio just yesterday that was credited to David Bromberg, but the DJ said before he/she (can't remember which!) played it that Dr. John was on it, and it *totally* sounded like a Dr. John record.

I love Dr. John.

Not a folkie by any sense of the imagination, but an old-timer who is one of the coolest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of seeing perform.

I got this record as a Record Company Promo in 1976.

HowLatellYaPlayTill.jpg

This record was in heavy rotation for me until the summer of 1978...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-A_vN3Q-2Y

Good list Louie, most of those cats are in my collection too. I'll add a few more to the pile as this thread goes along.

I'll start off with Willie P. Bennett. This guy was from my hometown of Toronto, even here he wasn't well known outside musician circles. I first heard about him when he was part of Fred Eaglesmith's band, later discovering he'd done some solo records. His '70s records are really great folk-country-roots records that are sadly out-of-print. Fans of Townes Van Zandt, The Band, Jerry Jeff Walker, et al will probably dig this guy.

Discography:

319231.jpg 467512.jpg

1975 - Tryin' to Start Out Clean

1977 - Hobo's Taunt

1979 - Blackie and the Rodeo King

1985 - The Lucky Ones

1991 - Collectibles Vol. 1

1993 - Take My Own Advice

1998 - Heartstrings

The first three are definitely worth tracking down. I have "Heartstrings" which is also great, but haven't heard the other three.

Sadly this is the only video I could find online that's from his 70s era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsbRgfDUcRE

As far as I know all his records are currently out-of-print, but you can find some of his records for download online. I can send you some links to his first 3 records, just PM me.

Funnily enough I was playing that Jan & Lorraine record earlier this week, good choice.

Speaking of female duos with only one record, here's a sister act that released their sole record in 1969:

Wendy & Bonnie - Genesis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzvdLSi5AA

David Bromberg used to show up with just about everyone during the 80s here in Chicago because he was engaged in violin making. His records are all uneven but worth a listen or two. As he used to say, his records "sold like hotcakes; ten cents a stack."

LouieB

Bromberg showed up and played a surprise short opening set before a Dylan show and sat in on two in 1997 at the Metro. At the time I did not know much about him. It was cool to see, lots a people around me were very excited. One of the few shows I was at that a rumor was floating around on the floor about a surprise guest. When a roadie brought out a mic stand and Dylan's band came out without Dylan, the crowd started to go a little nuts and out came Bromberg. Must admit, I still haven't gotten around to purchase any of Bromberg's stuff.

December 14, 1997

The Metro

Chicago, IL

Surprise Opening

David Bromberg with Bob's Band

Two Chicago Blues Numbers

1 "It's Over Baby"?

2 "She Took My Car When She Quit Me"?

Bob Dylan

10 Ragtime Annie @ (instrumental) (w/David Bromberg acoust. guitar and Larry on fiddle)

11 Takes A Train to Laugh (w/David Bromberg electric slide guitar)

Bromberg's LPs are all easy to find used just about anywhere. He also was on New Morning with Dylan, so just about everyone has him on something. I saw him play with Levon and Danko once and some of the lesser guys from the Eagles also both in clubs. Like I said he showed up alot over the years playing with folks. His standby number is Blind Willie McTell's Statesboro Blues. That people were excited that Bromberg was a surprise guest is interesting since Bromberg was never a big star, although back in his heyday I did see him play at the Arie Crown.

On another note. Interesting that y'all named a couple groups I have never heard of. Go figure. I guess I have pretty mainstream taste ultimately, but of those folks listed, I always liked Eric Anderson a whole lot (he was one of the "new Dylans: way back when.) Also guys like Tom Paxton, a writer that everyone sang his songs back in the early 60s, has fallen completely out of favor with everyone. And then there are also the Tims; Buckley (I just bought the Rhino handmade edition of his first LP on double CD) and Tim Hardin, who everyone sang one or two of his songs.

I should also have mentioned Fred Neil, but he has come out of obscurity (well semi) and into the public consciousness. But I missed Dave Van Ronk, Donovan (not that obscure, but no longer popular), Jim and Jesse, Judy Henske, Carolyn Hester (Dylan recorded for the first time with her), Sandy Bull (not obscure any longer either).

Ian and Sylvia was huge in my house since my older sister was a big fan, also she was a fan of the Chad Mitchell Trio (who put out Blowin in the Wind a couple months prior to PP&M having a big hit with it and John Denver replaced Chat Mitchell when he went out for an ill-advised solo career.)

LouieB